Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Lauren

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 2:54am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
Seeing as a lot of you are from the UK, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to ask you a few random (probably obvious) things I've always wondered.

1.) If I'm referring to all the people of the United Kingdom, what should I say? Britons? The British?
2.) Can you tell a Canadian apart from an American?
3.) Have you ever gone to a Tim Horton's?
4.) Do you eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches?
5.) Is peanut butter available in large jars in grocery stores?
6.) Are there ever hockey games on TV?
7). Do you know who Conan O'Brien is?
8.) How about Craig Ferguson?
9.) Do you call woolen hats, toques?
10.) So how do you guys spell colour anyway? On a lot of British programs I've seen, it's spelled without the 'u'. What's with that?

Merci Beaucoup!

Follow me on Twitter! @Lauren1991

ClareBear

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 7:08am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...

1.)News media uses Britons, but "British people" sounds more natural
2.) sometimes.
3.) We don't have them, but I know what they are (damn you Devin Townsend)
4.) tried it, hated it.
5.) how large is large?
6.) on the terrestrial channels, it's usually on late at night. Especially close to the Stanley Cup.
7). yup
8.) yup. Hooray for youtube
9.) we call them beanies
10.) COLOUR

Merci Beaucoup!

RobertBruce

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 9:46am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
1) Avoided answering #1 as there are a certain number of people in government I cannot really vouchsafe for as being British! I think I could ascribe some of their decision making process to being similar to that of a certain ex-leader of an ex-colony though!

2.) Can you tell a Canadian apart from an American? - Yes. It's the way the two words 'out' and 'about' are pronounced by Canadians. They sounds very UK countrified as if from Somerset/Devon/Cornwell. I hear 'out' as oat (as in porrige oats) and your 'about' comes across as ' a boat' as in' look there's a boat' !!

3.) Have you ever gone to a Tim Horton's? No but I went to a Witherspoon's and by god, it left me puking in a gutter afterward! Wonderful time it was.

4.) Do you eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches? Oh yeah baby! Peanut & apricot jam is a breakfast must!

5.) Is peanut butter available in large jars in grocery stores? Sadly not. Only in 340g size jars. Bring your own barrels of the stuff if you want.

6.) Are there ever hockey games on TV? Yes - we get to watch proper hockey as played on grass. As ice hockey is not at all a big sport in UK due to being so distant from the frozen wastes of the Arctic, it does not get any coverage. Most hockey we get to see (our grass version) is only during Olympics or huge tournaments.

7). Do you know who Conan O'Brien is? I only know of a "Conan the Barbarian". Is your Conan related to Arnie's version?

8.) How about Craig Ferguson? No, 'fraid not. Hockey player perchance? But we have loads of the original flavoured Fergusons here if you need replenishments.

9.) Do you call woolen hats, toques? We call them woollen hats. A toque or toke is something the guys in the alleys 'pull' on which contains a certain 'erb!

10.) So how do you guys spell colour anyway? On a lot of British programs I've seen, it's spelled without the 'u'. What's with that? Don't you mean you have heard it spoken without the u or are you referring to sub-titles for non-English audiences? What's with it is that the word must contain the u as it is the correct way to spell colour. Always has been until some idiot in the colonies decided to rite an artikel and spell it contrarie to wot the officishul vershunn relly iz.. You led with the jaw on this one......! Colour has been colour since long before the first dictionary was compiled by a British chap a couple of hundred years or more ago. And we spell programs as 'programmes' Sillybillies aren't we for causing the world to get so confused about spelling and grammar! I could say that as we don't have ice hockey as a major sport we had to have some form of sporting relief so we invented the dictionary just to see which humungous countries and ex-colonies would think the words were misspelled!

I strongly advise you to not take the reponses above too seriously except for #4 and the spelling of colour. I am a devout peanut butter n jelly addict since I learned to stop dragging my knuckles on the ground and walk upright. Love the stuff. But oi vey is it fattening....!

To quote/borrow an explanation about the Americanised versus English (British) spelling: Take the ‘–or/-our ‘endings of words like ‘color/colour’, ‘favor/favour’, ‘endeavor/endeavour’ for instance. Fowler’s Modern English Usage, published by the Oxford University Press, makes it quite clear that the British ‘–our’ endings have no validity; it is simply national prejudice which prevents us approaching the subject with an open mind. Fowler’s then goes on to point out that the ‘–or’ endings are much more common than the ‘–our’ ones even in UK, and that the differently spelled suffixes do not ‘serve any useful purpose’. Words like ‘horror’, ‘pallor’, ‘governor’ and even ‘pavior’ are given, some of which were once spelt with ‘–our’ endings. Fowler’s speculates that in any future spelling reform ‘reduction of ‘–our’ to ‘–or’ will be one of the least disputed items, or that, failing general reform we shall see word after word in ‘–our’ go the way of ‘governour.’

Merci Beaucoup! De nada

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 10:09am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
Seeing as a lot of you are from the UK, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to ask you a few random (probably obvious) things I've always wondered.

1.) If I'm referring to all the people of the United Kingdom, what should I say? Britons? The British? I say British
2.) Can you tell a Canadian apart from an American? usually
3.) Have you ever gone to a Tim Horton's? nope
4.) Do you eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches? no but thats coz I don't like them
5.) Is peanut butter available in large jars in grocery stores? em not sure, whats big to you?
6.) Are there ever hockey games on TV? yes, late at night, very late at night
7). Do you know who Conan O'Brien is? no
8.) How about Craig Ferguson? no
9.) Do you call woolen hats, toques? beanies
10.) So how do you guys spell colour anyway? On a lot of British programs I've seen, it's spelled without the 'u'. What's with that? colour

Merci Beaucoup!

RobertBruce

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 10:27am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
6.) Are there ever hockey games on TV? yes, late at night, very late at night Since when? But surely only on a certain regional TV north of Hadrian's Wall... X-D

9.) Do you call woolen hats, toques? beanies Oh yeah? So what the frigs wrong with wollen hat? Beanie....pffft!

Merci Beaucoup!

:)[/quote]

fanoffry

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 4:20pm Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
Seeing as how I'm Canadian, I'm just going to respond to a couple of these.

2.) Can you tell a Canadian apart from an American? I'm Canadian, and I can't always tell us apart. My aunt is Connecticut born & raised, and aside from spelling things without the 'u' and not having as much snow as us, there's no noticable difference. And by the way, neither she nor I pronounce "about" like "a boat" - it's more like "a-bowt". And "out" is like "owt".
3.) Have you ever gone to a Tim Horton's? Of course! Even though I don't drink coffee. We once managed to convince a couple of American friends that our Prime Minister was named Tim Hortons.
4.) Do you eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches? All the time!

7). Do you know who Conan O'Brien is? Yes
8.) How about Craig Ferguson? Um... I know the name? Can't place him.
9.) Do you call woolen hats, toques? Er... not all woolen hats, but yeah, I call a toque a toque!

Merci Beaucoup! De rien! Merci pour les questions - j'ai trouvé les réponses intéressantes jusqu'à présent.

michael

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 4:33pm Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...

1.) If I'm referring to all the people of the United Kingdom, what should I say? Britons? The British?
10.) So how do you guys spell colour anyway? On a lot of British programs I've seen, it's spelled without the 'u'. What's with that?

Merci Beaucoup!

hahahaha!!! i'm american but lmao at your questions!
you're reminding me of a canuck friend i have, similar sense of humor. sorry if that's a really annoying thing to say.

you probly know how an american would answer those things but just so you know, i HAVE been to a tim horton's, i like hockey (we got our own minor league here but before then it wasn't so well known, i'm in the south) actually rooted for vancouver a lot. but we don't use the word toques. (do you say it TOOG?) we say sock hat.

PS did they REALLY get rid of the hockey night in canada theme? :'(

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Desdemona

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 8:49pm Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
1) The British public. Brits?
2) One best friend is canadian, the other is american. I HAVE to know the difference or i get my head beaten in.
3)Nope
4) I have tryed them... I am not that keen on Peanut Butter though.
5) I should think so.
6) Yes, not regular and usually late at night.
7) Nope. O__o is he importanat in some way?
Yes but only the name.
9) Nope, i call them hats. like most hats.
10) COLOUR. it has a U. i ahve always thought it was the americans who spelt it color, like they spell gray and we spell grey.

Skip Life and come with me?

Lauren

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 3:03am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
Thank you all. I find these responses to be quite fascinating (and amusing!) Especially the fact that so many of you dislike peanut butter and jam sandwiches! They're so... regular! So ordinary! An everyday lunch item in the VanscityLH household!

Conan O'brien and Craig Ferguson (if you haven't googled them already) are two late night talk show hosts I adore. =)

I asked about the whole 'colour' thing because, actually, on an episode of QI (yes, QI!) I saw it spelled the American way! GASP!

Oh by the way, Yes Michael, they got rid of the Hockey Night in Canada theme song. :'( Well, technically it's not gone forever. CBC sold it to CTV (who are now using it whenever the word 'hockey' is mentioned in their ads. ) The new HNIC anthem just isn't as catchy...

Nitro

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 3:32am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
I wouldn't ask the English anything about food because it's well known they are born without taste buds. You only have to eat English food once to know this is a scientific fact X-D

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 4:08am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...

I asked about the whole 'colour' thing because, actually, on an episode of QI (yes, QI!) I saw it spelled the American way! GASP!.

Sigh....where's Steed when I need him? This may come as a tiny shock to some of you but I'm afraid "colour" is not the original English spelling. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that the addition of the letter u to certain words is due to French influence. Around the time that latin was introduced to Britain,color was spelled "color". The American spelling of these words is actually the real English spelling. And if anyone has any inclination about rehashing the trousers/pants argument.......I'm ready for ya X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

WhyGenTom

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 4:09am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
I wouldn't ask the English anything about food because it's well known they are born without taste buds. You only have to eat English food once to know this is a scientific fact X-D

Thank goodness for the brave Americans who crossed the pond and gave us McDonalds. [/sarcasm]

Katrina

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 6:43am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
Thank you all. I find these responses to be quite fascinating (and amusing!) Especially the fact that so many of you dislike peanut butter and jam sandwiches! They're so... regular! So ordinary! An everyday lunch item in the VanscityLH household!

Conan O'brien and Craig Ferguson (if you haven't googled them already) are two late night talk show hosts I adore. =)

I know! I couldn't imagine elementary school without peanut butter and jelly every single day! That was what the school would give you when you didn't have any money or forgot your lunch.

And seconded in regards to Conan. I don't watch the talk shows much, but if I do it's usually Letterman and then I switch to NBC for Conan. I'm pretty much ecstatic that he's taking over for Leno... I'm not so much a Leno fan.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Lauren

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 7:53am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...
I know! I couldn't imagine elementary school without peanut butter and jelly every single day! That was what the school would give you when you didn't have any money or forgot your lunch.

Wow. You were lucky! Where I live, there are no cafeterias in Elementary schools. You're lucky to get a vending machine. You ate in your classroom and if you forgot your lunch, you'd have to beg another kid to share. (Usually a pb+j.)

And seconded in regards to Conan. I don't watch the talk shows much, but if I do it's usually Letterman and then I switch to NBC for Conan. I'm pretty much ecstatic that he's taking over for Leno... I'm not so much a Leno fan.

I know, right?! I'm hoping he doesn't change up his style to suit an earlier viewing audience. I do watch Letterman, but I'd be willing to give him up for Conan.

Occy

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 8:55am Post subject: 10 Questions about the UK...

Merci Beaucoup!

I call em Brits...

Im not a Brit but I had such a thing for Conan O'Brien mrowl