Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 12:56am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
hey, try going to the blog page and clicking "wallpaper" from the list on the LEFT side of the screen.

that works for me.

Success! Eure... hm. Any Greek scholars here? What's the present tense second-person singular form of "to find"?

Bishop of Attleborough

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 2:16am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
[What's the present tense second-person singular form of "to find"?
Actually, what you want is perfect tense, not present, "eureka" literally meaning, "I have found it." Pedantry on my part aside, the word you're looking for is "eurekas" (ευρηκας - you [sing.] have found it). Or alternatively, you can tell people Βανζω ευρηκε ("Banjo has found it").

"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

karen m

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 3:23am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
you guys are ninjas at translating things word for word, how many times did you have to listen to it to get it 100%?

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 4:01am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
Eurekas. Thank you kindly. *makes a mental note*

(And of course it's perfect... "You find it" - not much of a ring to it, what? )

you guys are ninjas at translating things word for word, how many times did you have to listen to it to get it 100%?

Well, one had to start and stop it quite a few times...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 1:01pm Post subject: #3..is there a text version?

Well, one had to start and stop it quite a few times...

True. I listened to it all the way through the first time (which I didn't do with "Broken Arm" - dove right in to that sucker) then it was a matter of remembering a few words, hitting pause, and type type type. And then once more all the way through for corrections.

It's not like listening to Stephen is god-awful

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 4:41pm Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
[What's the present tense second-person singular form of "to find"?
Actually, what you want is perfect tense, not present, "eureka" literally meaning, "I have found it." Pedantry on my part aside, the word you're looking for is "eurekas" (ευρηκας - you [sing.] have found it). Or alternatively, you can tell people Βανζω ευρηκε ("Banjo has found it").

X-D

i think i've finally got something i could use for a signature in the future, if you don't mind, B.O.A.!!

prudy

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 5:21pm Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
Thank you for this text version of this recent podcast. I am podless, and will likely remain so until a pod comes free inside a box of my favorite breakfast cereal.

I discovered this site only last week and it's gratifying to find such a pleasant and erudite group of participants. I've admired Stephen Fry's work for a long time. I encountered him first on PBS, when they were running the Blackadder series. After that I read a few of his novels... delightful. Lately Kingdom has been running on one of our local stations, and it's a charming series.

I like the Wallpaper podcast, probably because I once lived in Colorado and some of the subject matter is comfortably familiar to me. I also hate skiiing. To me, the idea of hurtling down a mountainside is insupportable. However, to live in Colorado and not to ski is tantamount to subversive behavior, so I did join my friends for the occasional outing. I found their behavior on these trips to be somewhat disconcerting... we'd be en route to some ski haven for the weekend, and the traffic would be just awful. We'd be stuck on some section of road, with the majesty of the Rockies all around us, and from every corner of the car would come muttered complaints about how long it was taking to "get to the mountains". Eventually we'd arrive at the desired resort and I'd promptly look for some place to go skating. You are excused from skiiing if you can skate. After which, like Stephen, I would lounge around the lodge with a hot drink.

The Colorado Rockies are undeniably beautiful, but I'm not sure that I'm totally on board with the theory that beautiful surroundings have a soothing effect on the psyche. I think that if you go to a place like Aspen for the specific purpose of observing how lovely it is, one might find it soothing. But to live surrounded by such aggressive beauty as a mountain range can be somewhat irritating, too. I moved to Colorado to attend college. At the time, their state schools were among the least expensive in the nation (I shudder to think what the tuition might be today). Anyway, I was pretty well preoccupied with the business of living... working, taking classes, grocery shopping, doing laundry... all the mundane activities that make up daily life. To stand on a streetcorner, waiting for the bus to work and thinking about everything I had to do on any given day, and then to look up and see the splendor of the mountains was sort of a tease. Here we are, they'd seem to say. It's cool up here, and quiet and restful. The air is clean and scented with pine. Now, get on that bus and start your day of grimy toil! I actually found living there rather depressing. I live near the sea now, and much prefer its schizoid personality. The sea is a constant presence, but I rarely feel as though it's taunting me.

I think that as a society, we're far too preoccupied with beauty. Just open your local telephone directory and count the number of listings for plastic surgeons. It's creepy. I also think that we're so conditioned by what Madison Avenue tells us is beautiful that we don't even recognize beauty in things that don't conform to the marketed concept of it.

I have a relative who's an inveterate decorator. I love her dearly but she drives me bats with her attempts to pretty up everything in her life. She stencils ducks and geese on her trash cans, for pity's sake! I can see no reason to try to raise the aesthetics of a trash can. A trash can is a very useful article. That in itself imbues it with an austere kind of beauty. To stencil ducks and geese on it is an insult to both the trash can and the fowl.

Ah well, back to work, and looking forward to the next podcast...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Apr 12th, 2008 6:34am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
heheh...prudy, if i saw your relative's trash can, i'd think "oh...is she recycling geese?"

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 3:38am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
From the blog page:

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 9th, 2008 at 7:11 am and is filed under Blessays. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Wonder why the comments are closed? Maintenance?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 9:44am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
Hey, you and AxmxZ have officially been thanked for providing the transcript

SmokeJaguar

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 2:00pm Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
Thanks go to Fryphile & AxmxZ for the transcript.

If you have an iPhone go to: http://dbelement.com/reader/
register, then using your computer copy the transcript and paste it into the 'reader' window.
Then simply visit 'reader' on your iPhone and hey-presto Mr Stephen Fry in your pocket, so to speak.

BTW hope this is ok, if not let me know.

JemTheRoberts

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 9:52pm Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
Eyes, shape of the face, eyebrows... I mean, you can't trust photos, especially old photos, but even Wilde's nose seems somewhat bent sinisterly... General pallor, low speaking voice, the diction (obviously), the hair... Their size, also - men that big are rare now and they were hell-a-rare back then. Creepy.

Um, not that it makes him one iota less the genius, of course, but I understood that the existing wax recordings of Wilde's voice confirmed that he actually sounded very like Tim Brooke-Taylor playing Lady Constance?

Unless of course, they just happen to have caught him playing about with helium, of course. Or in a silly mood.

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 11:22pm Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
Well, I was going by what some of the people writing about him said. There are existing recordings? How does one get a hold of those?

Fiona

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 1:32pm Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
I am having trouble getting Number 3 to work so thank you for typing it up. At least I can have a text version.

JemTheRoberts

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 8:23am Post subject: #3..is there a text version?
Well, I was going by what some of the people writing about him said. There are existing recordings? How does one get a hold of those?

The rather disturbingly scratchy and barely distinguishable Wilde snippet was part of a Radio 4 series about archived famous voices, ooh... at least ten years ago. Actually I think there might be some slight controversy as to whether it really is Wilde in the recording, but I recall Fry himself saying in an interview on Film (Whatever year it was that Wilde came out? 97?) that Wilde had a very high voice, but he wasn't aiming to recreate it as he'd be laughed off the screen.

Actually the Film 97 (sic) location report on Wilde is wonderful, Stephen is particularly hilarious in it. If it ever turns up on Youtube, throw a small party.

EDIT: I wrote 'Fry' meaning 'Wilde', which rather proves your original point.