Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

davemalley

Posted Sun Sep 13th, 2009 4:31pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

the new itv1 series on life on a housing estate.
4 famousish people move onto a council estate in leeds to see how people there live.
is it just me that finds the idea of this show offensive?
who is the target audience?

those of us that live on estates like that dont need any "celebs" moving in next door to see how shit life is here, we know!! we live it every day.

they cannot say it is to educate people to the problems of millions of people living "on the breadline" surely, those people doing it dont need to be educated and those people not doing it wont give a damn.
all this show will do is piss people off, on both sides.

people who use P.S are just showing they havent put enough thought into their writing before they started.

P.S cant get out of the habit myself

davemalley

Posted Sun Sep 13th, 2009 5:10pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

a uturn on the subject of product placement has now been announced to help out "struggling" independant broadcasters like ITV.
so our tv's are going to be filled with product driven crap now, so that they can create more dogs toffee like the show above! grumble grumble

people who use P.S are just showing they havent put enough thought into their writing before they started.

quantumofire

Posted Sun Sep 13th, 2009 5:51pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

What difference does product placement make anyway, when they're giving up making anymore decent drama?
Remember the great days of Cracker (Be praised for the box set) and serious journalism such as World in Action?

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

davemalley

Posted Sun Sep 13th, 2009 5:56pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

true true,
but it would be nice to think that one day someone produces a decent edge of your seater and it would ruin it to be full of weird short focus shots of heinz tins and zoom ins to toothpaste tubes.
and dialogue
"so he was hit with a spear and jackson spade you say?"
lol

Nitro

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 4:00am Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

Eyes in the sky, on the poles, on the fences, in the tv's, computers etc ( read: general CCTV surveillance on citzenry ) began an increasing rise, coincidentally(?), with the concept of reality TV shows. ( which i'm sure many writers and actors hate, btw, because it often puts them out of work ).

Making the public comftorable with watching the lives of others ( voyeurism en masse ) tends to make them comftorable with the concept of BEING watched.

My advice is to smash or otherwise abuse any of these cameras you happen to find and stop voting for people who think the idea of surveillance on the represented ( the voting public ) is a good idea.

My TV now primarily serves as a tool for viewing DVD's, playing video games, and, one of its most underappreciated strengths, not being turned On at all.

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 5:44pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

And what has happened to C4?
Gone are the days when it used to show intelligent and provocative drama and films.
Remember the tube, and all the Jarman and Fassbinder film it used to show, now replaced by mind-numbing twee pop dirge, and celebrity driven youth tv...it this what youth are tuned into now, or what they want them to be(soft core numpties on some desert island), along with crappy teen romcoms and repetitive slasher dirge.
Perhaps with BB going they'll replace it with decent arts programming, or foreign film fair. Isn't it time we had another J & B film season.

And what's that dreadful cookery program that plays constantly in a loop...it's enough to make you bulimic.

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

KenyBoy

Posted Wed Sep 16th, 2009 4:46pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

Anyone remember "Shelley"? Was it fucking funny, as well as thought provoking, or what? Hywell Bennett...where is he now????

Led Zeppelin, almost as good as The Who

quantumofire

Posted Wed Sep 16th, 2009 5:18pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

Shelley? That takes me back. The last time I saw Hywell Bennett he was on Eastenders some years back, playing a gangster. Oh well.

davemalley

Posted Wed Sep 16th, 2009 7:42pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

saw him yesterday on dvd playing the spy ricky tar along side alec guiness in smileys people. not dusted that one off for yonks.

quantumofire

Posted Sat Sep 19th, 2009 3:29pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

I recently watched Tinker, Tailor...and Smiley's People back to back. It was sublime, and Alec Guiness' performance was mesmerizing.

Oh dear, we seemed to have moved from rant to nostalgia...such is life.

davemalley

Posted Sat Sep 19th, 2009 8:33pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

did same over two nights last week
some wonderful performances too from people i had forgotten were it it.
like warren clarke as alwyn the circus library clerk and alan rickman as mr brownlow the savoy manager.
both i notice (thanks to imdb) having played in shelley lol
have you seen a perfect spy? it is my favourite at the moment, brilliant performances from rudiger weigang,peggy ashcroft and especially ray mcanally.
have loved le carre since i was a lad..still hoping to find somewhere where they have a region 2 dvd of the spy who came in from the cold with richard burton as alec leamas.
sorry i rambled on then.

quantumofire

Posted Sat Sep 19th, 2009 9:48pm Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

I vaguely remember A Perfect Spy...I think I was distracted at the time.
There is a film version of Call of the Dead, the first Smiley novel. I can't recall the actor who played Smiley, but it was a very faithful adaptation and crops up on tv from time to time...unfortunately no DVD.

On a side bar, what are they doing to Rebus, I just watched it on ITV and though Kevin Stott is excellent, the whole production and scripting is diabolical and rushed. No wonder ITV has lost the plot. No atmosphere.

And what about a good scifi drama...not all the kiddy shit.
I watched the 6 part Quatermass and the Pit recently and it still holds up...for something made in 1959 the production is excellent.

Waking the Dead...it may be far-fetched but at least it's gripping, and the stories are thought-provoking, the actress who played the rape victim was complex and not cliched.

davemalley

Posted Mon Oct 12th, 2009 11:30am Post subject: 7 days on the breadline

even more annoying now as ITV have cancelled kingdom....
what a bunch of alans!!
grrrrr