Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

hatFolk

Posted Thu Feb 20th, 2014 9:37pm Post subject: A Black-Veiled Internet (a small rant)

It is odd to mourn the loss of someone you never 'really' knew. It is odd to mourn the loss of someone who you may have only exchanged a few tweets, with.
I'm a programmer, a student of computer science at my university, and what led me to savour some of the most profound mysteries of computer science was a man named Jim Weirich, who died today at the age of 57.
To those who knew him and to those who knew of him, he was always the most gentle of men and the most gracious of teachers. Positive, full of life, even until, as I was told, yesterday.

As I said, it is odd to mourn that loss. And in fact, I tweeted with him on the topic of one of his last talks. He never knew me apart from those exchanges, but I did so admire his enthusiasm and skill as a presenter and programmer.
I don't know why I feel so sad. It is not as strong as other losses I've suffered through the years, other situations, just enough to be wistful, to have my own heart be cracked and seeping.

I know that I'm not the only one with these kinds of feelings or have had it worse. I just know that I'll eventually be happy again, and remember Mr. Weirich as the ever productive, ever cheerful, and ever patient man that everyone knew him as, including me.
Just, I wish people would stop dying, yeah?