Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

polarbear1969

Posted Thu Dec 13th, 2007 1:42pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
Hello there

The other night I was watching an old QI programme and the subject was death.

Stephen and Alan Davies were talking about a book by Anne somebody and I think it was called the "something" mind but I can't rememer the proper title.

Has anyone else seen this programme and can they remember the book they were referring to?

I would be most grateful if anyone could let me know as it sounded really good

Many thanks

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Dec 13th, 2007 2:10pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

polarbear1969

Posted Fri Dec 14th, 2007 1:26pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
Many thanks

I can add that to my christmas list!!!

Have you read it?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Dec 14th, 2007 1:35pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
You're welcome!

Nope, I haven't read it. I rewatched the Death episode and got the title that way. Looks interesting though.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Dec 14th, 2007 10:27pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this thread, but I have read 'An Unquiet Mind' (several times in fact since it was first published) and would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to try to understand bipolar illness and the effects it can have on that person and those around them.

She writes well, is eminently qualified to do so both from a professional angle and personal one. She has written a number of other interesting and insightful books on the topic of bipolar illness and creativity, suicide and related issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Redfield_Jamison

polarbear1969

Posted Thu Dec 27th, 2007 1:28pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
Many thanks - I've ordered it off the internet and eagerly await its arrival.

Do you know of any other books which give a good insight into this condition as I would like to understand my mood swings more?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Dec 27th, 2007 4:22pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
There are many books out there that claim to have this or that advantage over other books on understanding and/or coping with your bipolarity and mood swings. It can be terribly confusing.

There is one that I have frequently used myself because it has good, straightforward advice as well as introductory explanations and descriptions. I have often recommended it to others and I know many bipolar-help groups also recommend it too.
I have provided a link to Amazon, but in case I have bungled the link, the book is called, 'The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide- What you and your family need to know', Author: David J. Miklowitz, PhD.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipolar-Disorder-Survival-.....mp;sr=1-40

Most of the books written by Kay Redfield-Jamison are good. If you are up to reading something slightly tangential to your own personal mood swings, and for a bit of erudite learning, (and heart warming fraternal belongingness to historical talented bipolar swingers) then there is Kay RJ's 'Touched With Fire' (Manic Depression and the Artistic Temperament). I believe this was her first book.

If you want to read a book on depression, then Andrew Solomon's ' The Noonday Demon - An Anatomy of Depression' is a little dated, but still a book I return to time and time again.

I have asked to be de-registered from this forum so if you have further questions, I should be able to answer them if you post them here or referring to FW, as I have some friends who are still members on the forum.

I do hope that you find the books useful. I certainly have found them to be so.

All the best,

FW x

Stercus Accidit

Posted Thu Dec 27th, 2007 9:00pm Post subject: A book mentioned on QI
Just to say if anyone does want to contact Flook wit, send me a pm and I can give people access to a drop box for FW.

Kindest regards

SA