Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nongenderous

Posted Sun Dec 7th, 2008 1:51am Post subject: A book you would like everyone else to read
The first book that comes to mind is "The Tin Drum", by Günther Grass. I love how the book is narrated by Oscar Matzerath, and the different ways of telling the story of his mother, father and uncle. It is set in Danzig before, during and after World War II, and is a part of Grass' Danzig-trilogy.

Desdemona

Posted Tue Dec 9th, 2008 8:53pm Post subject: A book you would like everyone else to read
5. Mad, Bad and Sad: A History of Women and the Mind Doctors from 1800 by Lisa Appignanesi
should like to read that [=
sounds like fun.

Skip Life and come with me?

Taskan

Posted Wed Dec 10th, 2008 3:49am Post subject: A book you would like everyone else to read
even though many, many people have read it, and its one of those things everyone's heard of - The Count of Monte Cristo . i say this because most people i know get there idea of what happens from the movie, which is completely different from the book, most probably because a 2 hour movie cant hope to get half of the complexity of the book, which shows the count for the true genius he is, but also makes the reader think about the morality of his actions and revenge in general

sniffles

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 4:44pm Post subject: A book you would like everyone else to read
Der Untertan by Heinrich Mann

edit: and of course A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Marvelon

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 3:40pm Post subject: A book you would like everyone else to read
Kafka On the Shore - Haruki Murakami.

Once you start reading Murakami, you can't stop (well, I can't anyway)

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 5:56pm Post subject: A book you would like everyone else to read
Love In The Time of Cholera - by Gabriel García Márquez

One Hundred Years of Solitude - by Gabriel García Márquez

Moby Dick - by Herman Melville