Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 1st, 2008 10:55pm Post subject: a cabin?
do you ever feel like building your own cabin or sod house and telling the rest of the world sayanara?

well...there's a few friends i'd want to keep in touch with.

i've got a good start on some wood due to various natural mini-catastrophes. but i don't know of any unowned land.

is this desire in me because i'm "sooner-bred"?
just kidding. that's a dumb okie joke.

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Apr 1st, 2008 11:48pm Post subject: a cabin?
Hey, I'm Russian. We *all* have a cabin. :))

Well, maybe not, but close. My grandparents had half a grand old one, with a park. My friend's family had a village house and like three shanties in various woods scattered around Russia.

Sod houses are pretty neat - never lived in one, but I'd love to build one! The romance of it. I'd be like a guerilla fighter in WWII. *sigh*

Don't know if I'd want to move into it for real though. Depends on where it is. How surviveable is winter without venturing out to the nearest city for provisions? Nothing sucks more than chopping wood in the winter... especially when you smash yourself with an axe in the knee... especially when you manage to cleverly do it again several years later...

Britannicus

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 1:03am Post subject: a cabin?
do you ever feel like building your own cabin or sod house and telling the rest of the world sayanara?
I always want to do that. More often than not.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Panja

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 1:24am Post subject: a cabin?
I definitely would. Not sure about building my own though, it would probably fall down. But I'd love to get away from it all and live in a little cabin or something in the middle of nowhere.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 4:11am Post subject: a cabin?
you're right, axmxz, i'm not sure i'd want to be isolated for the long term!

sometimes i think about it when i feel really good, but usually i think about it when i am frustrated. it's the very same feeling i'd have as a kid when i'd pack a tiny backpack and think i could run away from home. (you know...and the parents let you do it because they know you'll be back before the evening's over?)

maybe i'll buy some of the property adjacent to my folks' place...and i could just go out and build a cabin when i got mad. someone comes by to visit, and they say, "oh, banjo's building a cabin and renouncing the world today. but she'll probably be back by the weekend." and slowly but surely my nth-amount of acres gets dotted with little teeny houses.

later in life, when i mellow out, i could adopt many abandoned large dogs...OR abandoned small ponies...and they could live there in the little houses. and i'll stand out there with a cup of coffee in the morning and say "boy ain't y'all glad i got so pissed off all the time?"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 9:12am Post subject: a cabin?
We could build our own village and be "Hermits United". Actually, one of the things that pisses me off in Poland (and no-one understands me on this) is the way people tend to build litlle holiday homes in the mountains. For fuck's sake - why spend loads of money on a second something when there are so many things you don't have one of yet. Plus it's a slap in the face for homeless people and a ridiculous commitment because once you've built it you have to maintain and use it when you might want to spend time somewhere else.
My wife recently asked me if I fancied spending a week in the mountains at somebody's holiday home with them and I nearly exploded. There were seveeral reasons I didn't want to go. One of them is that I don't believe in "relaxing holidays". I believe it's an oxymoron. You relax (at home) or you have a holiday, not both (unlike my mum who just sits on a fucking beach - if that's what you want to do then why bother choosing the location so carefully from the brochure?). The other reason is that we'd be going with a friend of hers who is also married with a kid. Now much as I love my son and doing things with him, I can't stand people who cannot talk about anything else but their kids and that's what they're like (to me anyway). People say they don't want babies or don't like it when their friends have them because it becomes the main subject of everything you do. Well, that's not strictly true, but it is when two families with babies come together it really is dullsville sometimes.

Red Raven

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 4:27pm Post subject: a cabin?
I've always wanted a little place all to myself in the middle of nowhere with a garden and farm animals. A comfy little place where I can grow my own food and rarely have to leave for supplies. I think it would awesome to live like that. But I would want to LIVE like that and not having it for holiday...holiday is so much more work and annoyance than being at home. I've never had a relaxing holiday...except my trip to England..of course I didn't have to take care of anyone there or babysit or plan. Maybe cause it's like home.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 4:35pm Post subject: a cabin?
*clutches desperately to urban centres* Noooo, nooooooo, DO NOT WANT!

Red Raven

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 4:39pm Post subject: a cabin?

But...it smells of lovely dirt in the wild!

st.bipolar

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 5:15pm Post subject: a cabin?
on one of my forest walks in the devils glen (aoibhean will know it) its a big forest anyway and very creepy and there was this guy in a cabin we came across in the middle of nowhere it was really freaky!

I would personally love to live in a log cabin in the middle of a forest in washington state for a while and spend my days looking for bigfoot sigh (really)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 1:49am Post subject: a cabin?

But...it smells of lovely dirt in the wild!

That's why God made city green spaces!

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 2:25am Post subject: a cabin?

maybe i'll buy some of the property adjacent to my folks' place...and i could just go out and build a cabin when i got mad. someone comes by to visit, and they say, "oh, banjo's building a cabin and renouncing the world today. but she'll probably be back by the weekend." and slowly but surely my nth-amount of acres gets dotted with little teeny houses.

later in life, when i mellow out, i could adopt many abandoned large dogs...OR abandoned small ponies...and they could live there in the little houses. and i'll stand out there with a cup of coffee in the morning and say "boy ain't y'all glad i got so pissed off all the time?"

What a brilliantly cute idea!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 5:07pm Post subject: a cabin?
c_r,
i like cities too. but i lived the life of living in one and visiting the outdoorsy country...and i'm starting to realise i like it better the other way around.

st. bipolar,
http://www.oklahomabigfoot.org/

i saw a crazy tv show on scifi channel or something like that, where this news anchor and a brit camera man were looking for bigfoot in s.e. oklahoma...eventually one of the local indians volunteered to help, and you could tell he was taking them for a long ride.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 5:36pm Post subject: a cabin?
Hee, I'm the other way around banjo! I've lived in the country and city centers (and suburbs too!) and I much, much, much, much, MUCH prefer city life. I know its rather the opposite of most people but I very unsafe living out in the country. I spent every night in bed, panic stricken that any moment a farmer would burst in and murder me with a scythe.

Red Raven

Posted Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 5:56pm Post subject: a cabin?
Hee, I'm the other way around banjo! I've lived in the country and city centers (and suburbs too!) and I much, much, much, much, MUCH prefer city life. I know its rather the opposite of most people but I very unsafe living out in the country. I spent every night in bed, panic stricken that any moment a farmer would burst in and murder me with a scythe.

Pfft! Scythe! Yeah right! Everyone knows they do it with meat hooks. X-D