Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

pantechnicon

Posted Mon Apr 20th, 2009 2:32am Post subject: A child grows inspired by books and the seasons
The Dragons Dance at Midnight

Rain rattled the windowpanes, a thousand tiny spider feet as wind whispered his goodbyes to summer. Scudding clouds chase boy’s last bright memories of sunshine and play, while betwixt reluctant fingers a book slides slowly from a library shelf.
Leaves flutter and spiral through the clutching claws of autumn trees, as the days lose their mellow October glow and boy finds himself hooked - like a fish, explorer of worlds within worlds, the room of rainbow coloured books whirls and spins through eager eyes, hands and heart. Whipping like winter wind across the landscape of his imagination, time passing to the relentless hollow tic-toc of clock.
Days, now hard edged and cold, like the razor smile of Madame Guillotine, whispering through scarlet lips ‘It was the best of times…’ and for that one moment boy knows truth. The fire in his eyes now lit will not fade like ghosts of Christmas past but burn bright and with the inevitability of change to melt the Snow Queen’s icy blanket; morning skies no longer a bleak and dorian grey.
Boy sets down his books and feels the coming warmth of sun, and hears the restless buzz of insects and knows at last that spring has come. All the while father, mother, proudly, sadly watch the flexing butterfly wings of their one-time chrysalis child, knowing once more that soon those hot summer days will come, but none will match that winter, when boy saw the dragons dance at midnight in the fiery embers of the sun.

Nitro

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 7:30pm Post subject: A child grows inspired by books and the seasons
Nicely done! I like the references to other works you insert too.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Mon May 4th, 2009 2:52am Post subject: A child grows inspired by books and the seasons
This is quite lovely and bittersweet, too. I especially like the phrase "bleak and dorian grey."

pantechnicon

Posted Mon May 4th, 2009 11:51am Post subject: A child grows inspired by books and the seasons
Thanks for that Pam
I was quite pleased when i managed that play on words with Wilde and the weather - dorian - if i remember rightly is a mournful sound from some kind of trumpet. The references all have relevance eg French Rev = new ideas - sparkng social change, A Cristmas Carole - how the past can come back to haunt you. The seasons metaphor for growing up. 'The dragons...sun' a metaphor for the imagination. I hope i'm not going on but i'm usually met with the blank look of incomprehenson when i've showed anyone this. I think it's pretty straight forward to anyone who reads. You and Nitro are the first to actally say they like it - so thanks. - Pan

PamJH

Posted Mon May 4th, 2009 1:27pm Post subject: A child grows inspired by books and the seasons
You're quite welcome. I love to read poetry and poetic prose. I don't always know how to discuss them but when something reads beautifully, well, it just stands out. That was certainly a lame explanation, but maybe you know what I mean.

pantechnicon

Posted Wed May 6th, 2009 9:54pm Post subject: A child grows inspired by books and the seasons
Sounds lik a good explanation to me. -Pan

Mcnaughty

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 2:03pm Post subject: A child grows inspired by books and the seasons
This really conjures up beautifully powerful images and reminds me of a book Iv read, if you have not read it its is a beautiful story

The Little Tree by Forest Carter