Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Cappa180

Posted Wed May 19th, 2010 8:01pm Post subject: A place for carers

Hi everyone,i'am Cappa Vampyros partner.
Often times i feel very frustrated!not knowing what to do.
If i feel like this then there must be lots of carers out their needing someone to talk too..We also need help sometimes.

When Vampyros is very low,this causes alot of arguments and puts a strain on our relationship(this can be very heart wrenching)but when you love someone like i do you put up with the arguments and the tantrums-often having the police and ambulance service knocking at the door at 2-3am(because of the overdose's)this really upsets me.Just want to know how many other carers feel angry and frustrated or feel unable to help.
Cappa

tito

Member *

Posted Wed May 19th, 2010 9:00pm Post subject: A place for carers

Hello Cappa, It's nice to meet you.

I am biolar, so is my 22 year old daughter, still at home. I understand how her mind works so it's easier in that way.

But even so there is a feeling of helplessness. Getting as much professional help as possible can mean a weight off.

My daughter was in the care of the crisis team, because she was suicidal and that was a great help.

I know from a friend of mine, ill with something else, not bipolar, that his wife has struggled a lot.

Have you been in touch with MIND or any other charities? There may be a bipolar support group in your area.

I don't know if this link is any use to you, you may already have read it yourself at some time. But I'll post it anyway:

http://www.pendulum.org/famcoping.htm

Please pass on best wishes to V. She's quickly become a popular member here. I'd like to see her back.

Best wishes, T xxxx

tito

Member *

Posted Wed May 19th, 2010 9:19pm Post subject: A place for carers

I don't know if this would help either, but might be worth a look:

http://www.carers.org/?gclid=CKXV7M2C36ECFQRslAodQx9IJA

Slinki

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 2:24am Post subject: A place for carers

Hi Cappa

I am one of the above mentioned people who come knocking on your door. Hope the service in your area has treated you both well. I know that all too often its easy to forget the needs of family and loved ones, especially when the patient is very ill and in need of urgent help. Ambo crews can refer the patient / household to another agency if someone is believed to be vunerable or at risk through innappropriate or lack of care. This is more common of an elderly couple struggling to cope who need caring help, and rarly appropriate or used for circumstances such and similar to yours. In short we are limited to the help we can add to the caring front and often really want to do more but just can't.

If you do come accross a national charity or organisation who have been useful to you, even if its a phone line would you please let me know so I can pass on to others?

My grandfather was the only carer for my nan for many years. She had to be refered in the end to the older peoples mental health team after we had a long battle to get him some support, so from both angles can relate to your need.

Regards to you both,

Slinki xx

Tito, I shall check out the links above now.

Cappa180

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 8:06am Post subject: A place for carers

Tito said:
Hello Cappa, It's nice to meet you.

I am biolar, so is my 22 year old daughter, still at home. I understand how her mind works so it's easier in that way.

But even so there is a feeling of helplessness. Getting as much professional help as possible can mean a weight off.

My daughter was in the care of the crisis team, because she was suicidal and that was a great help.

I know from a friend of mine, ill with something else, not bipolar, that his wife has struggled a lot.

Have you been in touch with MIND or any other charities? There may be a bipolar support group in your area.

I don't know if this link is any use to you, you may already have read it yourself at some time. But I'll post it anyway:

http://www.pendulum.org/famcoping.htm

Please pass on best wishes to V. She's quickly become a popular member here. I'd like to see her back.

Best wishes, T xxxx

Thanks for the advise T.V already under crisis team and pdoc.At the mo it just seem little things get on top of her(little to me anyway.Will check out web site for advise.
Thanks.cx

tito

Member *

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 8:59am Post subject: A place for carers

You're very welcome. I hope things start to improve for you both soon.

Best wishes again, T xxx

Cappa180

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 7:52pm Post subject: A place for carers

Slinki said:
Hi Cappa

I am one of the above mentioned people who come knocking on your door. Hope the service in your area has treated you both well. I know that all too often its easy to forget the needs of family and loved ones, especially when the patient is very ill and in need of urgent help. Ambo crews can refer the patient / household to another agency if someone is believed to be vunerable or at risk through innappropriate or lack of care. This is more common of an elderly couple struggling to cope who need caring help, and rarly appropriate or used for circumstances such and similar to yours. In short we are limited to the help we can add to the caring front and often really want to do more but just can't.

If you do come accross a national charity or organisation who have been useful to you, even if its a phone line would you please let me know so I can pass on to others?

My grandfather was the only carer for my nan for many years. She had to be refered in the end to the older peoples mental health team after we had a long battle to get him some support, so from both angles can relate to your need.

Regards to you both,

Slinki xx

Tito, I shall check out the links above now.

Thanks Slinki,the ambulance service has been very understanding-always great with Vampyros.Always seems to happen during night when i'am asleep,get a real fright when woken by them,not knowing why-then it dawns on me.They do a great job.xx
cx

Cappa180

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 7:57pm Post subject: A place for carers

Vampyros doing fine,her CPN visited today,her mood seems to be alot better-Early doors though.Thanks to everyone for there help.Vampyros must take it easy for a few days,so no doubt you'll hear from her soon.xxxx

katysara

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 8:42pm Post subject: A place for carers

Thanks for the update Cappa xxxxx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

marzgirl

Posted Fri May 21st, 2010 1:12am Post subject: A place for carers

Hi Cappa! I am a carer for my son who is 12. I also get frustrated and angry. I get so mad sometimes it is hard to not throw him across the room!! Something to get him to snap out of it!!! Rationally I know nothing will make him just snap out of it, but sometimes I just do not know what to do.

I have had to let police handle the last two dysphoric episodes. Just today he picked a chair up over his head like he was going to throw it. He got tossed out to suspension.

I do not curse in front of my kids as a rule, but sometimes in the early stage of a dysphoric episode I will curse and he backs off. He had hidden scissors and came out with them at his neck. I told him I was not dealing with this bullshit and would just call the police. He gave me the scissors and that was the end of that.

I cannot sit long, but I will check back in with you soon. Well wishes until then!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Cappa180

Posted Fri May 21st, 2010 8:36am Post subject: A place for carers

marzgirl said:
Hi Cappa! I am a carer for my son who is 12. I also get frustrated and angry. I get so mad sometimes it is hard to not throw him across the room!! Something to get him to snap out of it!!! Rationally I know nothing will make him just snap out of it, but sometimes I just do not know what to do.

I have had to let police handle the last two dysphoric episodes. Just today he picked a chair up over his head like he was going to throw it. He got tossed out to suspension.

I do not curse in front of my kids as a rule, but sometimes in the early stage of a dysphoric episode I will curse and he backs off. He had hidden scissors and came out with them at his neck. I told him I was not dealing with this bullshit and would just call the police. He gave me the scissors and that was the end of that.

I cannot sit long, but I will check back in with you soon. Well wishes until then!

We know what we go through,sometimes i feel like hitting V too,but alot of self control-helps me.
Many a times i've caught v with knives and things-ready to cut herself or take pills,i feel very sad to(helpless).
Next time i have threatened to phone the Crisis team straight out,or police and ambulance service they have been a great help(let the professionals deal with her.
Love her to bits but i'am worn out-it makes me ill too with worry.

At least i'am not the only one dealing with this situation,it feels like it sometimes.
Nice to hear from u.
Take care.
cx

tito

Member *

Posted Fri May 21st, 2010 9:35am Post subject: A place for carers

Very glad and relieved to hear V is a little better.

T xxx

Timothy Grayson

Posted Sun May 23rd, 2010 8:19pm Post subject: A place for carers

Good evening. I'm not sure if I'll be welcomed here as I don't have bi-polar disorder myself, but my mother has been sectioned due to numerous episodes over the past 5 years. I love my mum, but sometimes when she's in the grasp of full-mania she frightens me. I often find it difficult to cope (which makes me feel like a coward), but as her next of kin I desperately want to be courageous; I want to be there for her, and know I should be but [as awful as it sounds] when I'm crying myself to sleep because of something her illness has made her say, who's there to console me? People always say they're 'there for me' but how could they possibly understand how lonely it is?

So, my friends, does anybody know of any decent freephone numbers / organisations offering support for carers? I know I need some.

Writing for the page in his own preferred style of poetic story-telling verse, Timothy Grayson is a poet, playwright and international representative for the English Poetry Brothel. He is a member of the Decadent Romantics with Steven Silverman and Nathan Lunt, and has worked alongside various professional organisations such as the BBC, Royal Society of Literature, Metro Newspaper, FD2D Magazine and Leicester Comedy Festival.

Selected works by T. Grayson

tito

Member *

Posted Sun May 23rd, 2010 9:04pm Post subject: A place for carers

I'm sorry about your mother. It must be very painful for you.

Very frustrating.

You could start by contacting MIND. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.mind.org.uk/

Good luck with it.

There are people on here, Cappa who started this thread, who will understand how you feel very well.

Take care,
T xx

Timothy Grayson

Posted Sun May 23rd, 2010 10:52pm Post subject: A place for carers

Thanks Tito, I appreciate it.

You take care too,

Tim

Writing for the page in his own preferred style of poetic story-telling verse, Timothy Grayson is a poet, playwright and international representative for the English Poetry Brothel. He is a member of the Decadent Romantics with Steven Silverman and Nathan Lunt, and has worked alongside various professional organisations such as the BBC, Royal Society of Literature, Metro Newspaper, FD2D Magazine and Leicester Comedy Festival.

Selected works by T. Grayson