Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 8:51pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

many visitors to this part of the forum post thank-yous to

Mr Stephen Fry

for his documentary the Secret Life of the Manic Depressive,

for his support of mental health organizations,

and for his openness.

please feel free to make this space your own.

this thread was started by members of this forum who wish to express their thanks.

as always...with love, michael +forum

and remember that this is a public forum.

comments ABOUT this thread can be posted here http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5337

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

katysara

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 12:14pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Dear Mr Stephen Fry,

Fluffy felicitations, a hundred hugs, and titanic thanks for making The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive and for being the Special Ambassador for the Bipolar Foundation.

You have the voice equivalent to chocolate. Thank you for making me laugh on so many occasions.

With love,

Katy Sara xx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

gadgetgirl

Posted Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 12:21am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
There's only one way to sum it up really and that is THANK YOU. Depression (and to a certain extent mania) has touched my life in many different ways and TSLotMD has helped me immeasurably to cope, mainly by being so open about things we (society) are not allowed to talk about properly.

That would be me.

Veg Chick

Posted Thu May 7th, 2009 12:13pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Dear Mr Fry

Thank you for being you. Thank you for tSLOtMD. Thank you for this space you have provided us to meet and talk with others in similar situations, and thank you for the friends I have made as a result. Thank you for QI, which always makes me smile. Thank you for your books, which are the only books I have been able to read lately, and I promise to reread them when I am better so they get the attention they deserve. And thank you for all the joy and light you bring to us all.

With all my thanks

Veg Chick

Edit: Thank you for the voice overs on Little Big Planet. I love gadding about there, it's a wonderful refuge from the real world. I knew I was a thank you short, sorry.

I am nothing

ashty

Posted Thu May 7th, 2009 10:20pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Thankyou and all that for the MD doc,but the best bit of my charmingly chaotic life just now is watching Jeeves and Wooster on the tube on the iplod

Real thank-yous come in song form. I wrote this for everyone who reminds me this madness is has its delightful side:

http://www.myspace.com/theashxyz

Listen to "Glue"

*salutes*
cheers, comrades.
xo

Stargazer-rach

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 2:56pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
I found this site today and before posting anywhere else just had to say a big fat "thank you" as well to Stephen for both cheering me up with QI, which I find delightfully hilarious, as well as for fronting "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive". The latter was obviously hard to watch but the first time my partner and I realised that I had shown the classic symptoms of bipolar for years, and gave us hope that one day I would be diagnosed and helped (and eventually I was!)

Oh yes, and before I forget, thank you Stephen for providing the fab voice over for the maddeningly addictive game that is "Little Big Planet", the only thing that makes being forced to play it at 7am on a Saturday morning with an over excited 5 year old bearable!!

Rach

elTweeno

Posted Wed May 13th, 2009 12:27am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Somehow 'thank you' just doesn't quite express my gratitude for the wonderfully enlightening, truly inspirational and refreshingly open documentary 'The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive'.

Without it, I wouldn't have had the courage to seek help, and finally - yesterday, in fact - gain a diagnosis and a plan of support and guidance for the future. I have every intention of using the documentary to help my friends and family understand me better.

And, of course, without the documentary, this wonderful little community wouldn't exist within your forums. A community full of warmth, understanding and a friendly - albeit virtual - smile whenever people need it. For you to have provided this alone is truly commendable.

Suddenly I'm not alone, have no reason to fear being myself, and can help others understand me when I inevitably scare them - all because of 2 hours of television, made by a truly remarkable and inspirationally open man. Who said television rots the brain?

So, for want of a better word (and because I lost my dictionary) - Thank You

Best wishes,

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

General Bonkers

Posted Mon May 18th, 2009 2:27am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Dear Mr. Fry,

I've been diagnosed bipolar about 7 years ago at the age of 17, though I should mention I'm probably a rather mild case. I've had three extreme phases, but since I'm on medication (NOT lithium by the way), mania and depression manifest only in tame forms.

In times of emotional tension however, I still find it difficult putting my mind at rest.
Your TV-shows (fictional and non-fictional) helped me numerous times to calm down and find some sleep.
Your documentary on bipolarity helped me explaining the condition to my friends and family, and helped them to understand in retrospective what seemed not to be understandable at the time.
Your way with language in 'Moab is my washpot' inspired me and made me dream before falling asleep.

All in all your work made me feel happy and at peace.
Thank you for that!

phaned

Posted Tue May 26th, 2009 8:59am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Dear Stephen,

I do not think that "thank you" is sufficient enough to express my gratitude for "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive".

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder II in 2005 and have, for the most part, been pretty stable while on medication (also not lithium) with a few dips down. Watching this film has rekindled the hope that things will get better. You spoke to so many amazing and talented people (including yourself of course) - something I had once considered myself to be (at least the talented part) - and they were able to live their lives, even if it was with some difficulty.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

40mgs

Posted Fri May 29th, 2009 8:22pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
I just wanted to thank you for making that programme. I am not bipolar but suffer from severe depression and I quite often think of you in that documentary. The scene I think of the most is when you are leaning on your car saying that today was a very hard day and that you just kept thinking of yourself as a c**t. I totally relate, and think of that often. It gives me a little more strength to remind myself that I am not the only one who can feel like that and worse.

x

An old english word for you: Benegroe

x

Nameless

Posted Sun May 31st, 2009 4:19am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Thanks to Youtube I just discovered this remarkable film and just want to express my gratitude. Thanks a lot for your openness and at the same time decency.

I am diagnosed bipolar as well and I wish it would be more information like this about this phenonemon out there. Thanks again for doing this for "us"!

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue, so my words might sound a bit dumb.

Martin

Julia from Bristol

Posted Sun May 31st, 2009 8:19pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Welcome to the forum Martin.
Lots of support & help here but also lots of fun & silliness! Hope you enjoy it all!

I have a cunning plan!

Nameless

Posted Mon Jun 1st, 2009 4:35am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Thanks for welcoming me! I'm working as an admin on a german forum for bipolar people and I'm very interested to see what's going on here...

Have a nice day!

Martin

TheTruth

Posted Thu Jun 4th, 2009 10:45pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
Thank you.

I love you.

madenna

Posted Thu Jun 18th, 2009 11:56am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
i'd like to thank stephen fry just for being him and doing wot he does...........i first saw him on tv......omg.......dunno long time ago thing it was fry and laurie and i was like..........ooooooooooo i like him hes funny i think wot sealed it tho was the movie peters friends i loved that movie sooooooooooo much.............im known for saying " i love so and so" and ppl ask why and i just say dunno just do............as for the documentary i have it on tape somewhere.............and to answer his question............would you press the button and change anything.............well im still undecided the manic would so no cos its so much fun being high and elated the depressed would say yes cos thats the worst feeling ever...............we're all different i suppose depends where the bipolar takes you and i suppose on youre own personality and lifestyle and upbringing and perhaps personal intellect............i myself am not as educated as the many bipolar ppl i have spoken to on websites and definately not on stephens level..................but i do have a certain wisdom on life..........which is coming back to me............omg.rambling again.................anyhows thanks to stephen for being one of a kind and making me laff and smile over the years..........and now i think of it i must get peters friends on dvd as i dont have it in my collection........................thanks again mr fry for being youxxx[/list][/code][/quote]of all the things i ve lost i miss my mind the most

of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most