Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

s0ylentgreen

Posted Thu Jun 25th, 2009 6:45pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work
I know many people have said it and this is very late after the fact BUT - Thank you so much for such an honest and frank insight into your life. Thank you for sharing with the viewing public what many of us try to hide from the world. I've always personally been a huge advocate of talking about my own "mental health issues" as my CPN likes to put it. It was always very hard to get people to listen and be understanding and getting through to maybe one of 20 people to be more understanding was worth it. You have made my personal crusade so much easier. It made my mother stop telling me to "snap out of it!" so often. People have heard of Bipolar more and more. I am so grateful to you for making this documentary and although it is sometime since it was shown I have only just found this site and I am obliged to say these things. I hope it gets a re run at some point so I can make more people watch it!

Thank you whole heartedly Mr. Fry you are a true gent.

Sarah x

Firlefanz

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 5:58pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hm.. up!

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 8:08pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

No, thank *you*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-uLRxloG0

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

marzgirl

Posted Sat Aug 22nd, 2009 12:10am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I just watched the Secret Life of the Manic Depressive on YouTube. I was looking all over to find how to purchase it before I found it. My son is 11 with ADHD/bipolar. The double whammy I guess. I am so glad you included the mother with the two boys with bipolar. I cannot thank you enough for all the priceless information and the courage to share your own story. I think childhood bipolar is often overlooked, and like you mentioned you could look back and remember past behavior from a fairly early age. I wont allow my son to hang his hat on his ADHD/bipolar though. He can still be the master of his destiny. With medication, therapy, and his support system he can accomplish all that he desires. I wont allow him to ever say "well, i can't help it because......." It is a disability like being deaf, or not being able to walk. He will get frustrated, discriminated against, ect., but he will learn coping skills, managment skills and how to adapt. he will achieve!!!!
Thank you Stephen!!!!! Cheers!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

MissRhi

Posted Sun Aug 23rd, 2009 11:00pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Thank you for the way you have spoken so openly about Bi-polar and depression. So many people suffer from such things now that It can become trivialised and overlooked. Your program showed the depth in peoples lives affected. Depression is not like having a cold there is no medicne to take away the worst feelings. But there are rituals and routines I can indulge in to make me feel better, and listening/watching your podcasts and programs always makes me feel better regardless of what they are about. Because its nice to know you hearing from someone honest and intelligent.

Mr Fry, bored of the dance? I think Bones begs to differ..... ; )

captainslow

Posted Tue Sep 8th, 2009 11:43am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

dear mr Fry,

However grateful I am for all the wonderful fun and witty contributions you have made which I enjoy thoroughly it was this documentary that changed my life profoundly. Through this utterly brave and honest story I sought and found help, got a diagnosis and medication. My life turned around in the most remarkable and positive way. After 20 years of living in the dark the lights have been turned on.
How to express my thanks is beyond words. But to me the courage you have showed to share this with the outside world and the public eye is astounding. I can't imagine how my life would have continued if I had not bumped into this documentary.

THANKS!

captain slow

“Depression is the inability to construct a future”

MichelleAbrahmz

Posted Fri Sep 18th, 2009 9:53pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hello Mr Fry,

I've recently joined your forum as I am an admirer of you and your career, but also have just come to realise I have Bipolar Disorder myself. I'm 42 and have come to realise its been untreated since my childhood, so slowly getting worse. I'm currently cycling every 2 days or so, so you can imagine how tiring and depressing that is, apart from the depression anyway

I just wanted to thank you for being you. You are a beautful person and have been a beacon for me throughout my life. The fact you are intelligent, witty and yourself has helped me hugely to come to terms with having Bipolar and it being OK. I think of you and the many other suffers out there and I don't feel so alone or such a freak, even though I'm the only one in my circle of friends.

I will be getting the help I need soon and will be putting this all to rights. I have held off messaging you until now because I'm sure you get messgaes all the time, but I felt a need to tell you how truly great you are. Thank you so much for being you and for being courageous enough to speak honestly about having Bipolar. You will never know how many lives you have potentially saved.

Thank you Sir.
love to you,

Sub-Level28

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 9:26pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Stephen Fry:
Thank you so very much for your openness about the manic depression and the honest portrayal of it.
I downloaded it yesterday because I was beginning to suspect I have a degree of it myself. And I figured why not take information from a MD person?
And I did see some elements of it in myself.
i have periods were I just feel really low (thankfully not frequently) and then I have these periods where i do that lots of shopping and buying lots of stuff I don't really need. and sometimes do stuff I don't fully have control over. I have since watching this realized the I'm not fullblown manic but I do have tendencies toward it.

So thank you for having made this, it was a big help for me. An eye-opener. Thank you.

I wish I was a shapeshifter.
Sub-Level 28, My blog

Art is any created work that provokes strong emotions in you, personally. And trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher.

stimpsoncorner

Posted Tue Oct 6th, 2009 2:08am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Well I guess I shall start at the beginning.
I'm Liz and my official diagnosis
(By CPN and Consultant, in 1995, 1998 and again in 2003 until present date)

General Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
Pre-post Natal / Clinical Depression
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Agrophobia (Social disorder, fear of crowds)

My medication list

200mg Lustral (Zoloft) Daily -
Anti-depressant, Anti-OCD and Anti-Anxiety Drug.
Designed to make happy chemicals remain in the brain longer (aka SSRI)
I've been on and off this medication since 1995.

5mg Diazapam -up to 3 a day if needed
Anti-Anxiety Drug and a general muscle relaxer.
I've also been off and on this drug since 1995.
Highly Addictive and helps with the back pain like nothing else.

15mg Meloxicam 1 per day.
Anti-inflammatory medication to relieve back and knee pain.
I've been on this drug since 2008. I can honestly say it is useless for back pain!

30mg/500mg Co-Codamol. - Up to 8 a day.
Strong Codine /paracetamol based painkiller.
For knee and back pain.
I've been on this drug since 2008.
Highly Addictive.

Well that's the medical history out in the open

I wouldn't say I was completely Manic Depressive, if at all.

I came across the programme while channel surfing and to be honest thought ... WRONGLY, I might add Here we go again another programme telling you to pull your socks up and get a grip.

But it was fantastic. I loved every minute of it, it was nothing at all as I expected, and I've been a fan of Mr Fry's ever since.

Richard Dreyfus, was the person I completely related to.
He said with his medication it was like being in a box, with a top and a bottom and I can live here.
I knew exactly what he meant.

I'm one of the naughty people I'm afraid. I hate to admit it, but occasionally I HAVE to get out of the box. I have to cry, grieve, shout, laugh until it hurts and panic to the point where I think I'm dying.

I feel I have to do this now and again, to prove I'm still alive inside all of the medication.
Being on auto pilot 24/7 can get very boring and suck the life right out of you.
So I will stop taking the medication for a week, throw a complete episode of behaviours, the highs and the lows and then start again, just as if I never stopped it.

I've wanted to thank you for such a long time for making that documentary. It made me realise I might well be a scatty eccentric, but there are others out there, (and famous people at that.)
Who think, behave and feel exactly like me.
It really is nice to know you aren't alone in this world.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart xxx

Liz

Lil L was here -----^
*~ RaNdoMnEsS rOcKS~*
And if you feel like saying hello you can find me on twitter. :D

Benji

Posted Tue Oct 6th, 2009 8:39pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr Fry,

Words cannot begin to express my gratitude for your wonderful documentary The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive. I originally watched this documentary to try and learn more about the lives of people like yourself, and also like my father who was diagnosed several years ago. What I didn't expect to recognise while watching this marvelous piece of televisual knowledge was an acurate description of my own behaviour, but as symptoms of manic depression itself as described by the amazing Carrie Fisher, Robbie Williams, and also from yourself. The theft, the deliberate isolation at public school, the grandious schemes and behaviours, being the most wonderfully sociable person in the world while thinking you're a cunt and going home to curl up in bed without anyone suspecting that you're anything other than fine. All of that is a part of my story also. I had assumed that was "normal" (if there is truely a thing as normal) and that everyone else dealt with it far better than I do. But I came to a conclusion that if it was the one thing that was linking you all as symptoms of your illness, it can't be "normal" behaviour.
Consequently, at my next trip to the GP, I intend to bring up this congruence between my behaviour and what I had seen in the documentary because I feel that it sounds like I am displaying some symptoms of manic depression. I hope that he will refer me to a psychologist to further investigate things.

The reason I am thanking you for this, is that it has quite likely saved me the heart ache and problems that my father went through in the 40 years before his own diagnosis.

My undying thanks and gratitude,
Benji Starr

0806052m

Posted Sun Oct 18th, 2009 5:07pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr Fry,

I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart. Your documentary brought to light that my brother and I both suffer from bipolar disorder. Without your astounding work neither of us would have recieved treatment for a condition that set out to ruin both of our lives.

I suffer from a rapid cycling variety of Bipolar I which almost cost me my university degree and, at times, my life. My brother has had similar work and relationship problems for many years. I am now recieving treatment and feel better now than I ever have done. My brother is in the process of discussing treatment options with his GP.

I have always admired you as a writer and actor, and your comedy has brightened my phizog during many a dark hour (especially alongside Hugh Laurie in "A Bit of Fry and Laurie").

I must once again thank you for all that you have done to help my brother and I, and I wish you every success in years to come.

Ever at your service

Gary McGinley

P.S. I wish I had chosen "pimhole" as my username... nevermind!
Soupy Twist!!!

emzdaisy

Posted Sun Oct 25th, 2009 10:06am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

a million thank yous - I learnt a LOT from the documentary and continue to learn when I watch it again.
It did however cement that I shouldn't have children (naturally at least) which is a little disheartening but safer for me and the potential child.
I have 'mild' type 2 bi-polar disorder. Basically I am depressed a hell of a lot more than I am manic and my manic phases are hypomanic (so I don't get the extreme delusions of grandeur but I do still do stupid stuff).
Generally I am well managed on medication (low dose lithium and mid-high dose anti-depressants) and can recognise some of my triggers and symptoms as they start (more so from the documentary).
Your podcasts are one of the things that can generally always make me smile (and my sister will find columns or whatever she can written by you to cheer me up when I'm a little low).
Thank you for being an inspiration to a fellow sufferer and an educator and a positive influence in my life.

Emma (all the way from NZ)
xxx

subz4eva

Posted Sun Oct 25th, 2009 4:52pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr Stephen Fry
I have many things to say to you, well here goes:
1. Thank you very very very very very much.(sorry about the repition loop) for this booklet which made me go Well i'm not the only one to have Bipolar.
2.I must say if You weren't on this planet to act as such a role model then I would have lost hope ages ago.
3.I look at you as an actor and i say i want to act jus as great as you.I already do performing arts at gsce level and art at the same level, however i am so glad i can aim for high deal acting quality as yourself has.
And maybe one day we will meet.I will look forward to that day.
And last of all Gere is a rap which i have just made up jus for the best joly,assertive and remarkable people i look upto (YES you mr stephen fry).
Here's ur rap:
Day in and day out he shines like a star,
No matter he be even at the bar.
his smiles at you like the sun,
Even if its his cun-
ning style.
which comes out once in a while,
Many people know his name,
Its the wonderful Stephen fry.
subz4eva

Urangatan

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 10:28am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hi Stephen

I am an old norfolk boy my self, born with a deformed right hand and growing up feeling that i was less than i should be and trying to make up for it with personality.

I left school fairly sure that i was destined to work in the hotels and pubs of Cromer or in some factory somewhere doing a god awful job to earn an honest crust.

Well i had an awakening, i have to admit it was via some usage of LSD when i lived for a short 4 years in Swaffham but strangely enough that was enough for me to seek out more than the life i thought i would have to retire too.

I asked the government to give me an IQ test to check if i had what it took to goto university and the results blew me away being within the top 10% of the UK this was back in the early 90's. The institution in Norwich promptly gave me a more specific logic IQ test straight afterwards to make sure i had not fluked the first exam and low and behold top 5% in the UK.

This was almost like an awakening for me and from that time i strived to be a better person and to be more in society and worth more in society.

I hit demons along the way with an addictive personality especially with cheap booze at Nottingham Uni and overspending buying things all the time to satisfy some kind of need, then of course having to face the fact that i had to pay that money back and that i had course work to catch up on.

Fast forward a few years after university and suddenly im writing very complex applications for the web which usualy teams of programmers right and my work becomes highly visible and of course my self asteeme is boosted and so i get more and more creative and create more and more inovative applications.

I moved to New Zealand around 6 years ago as part of a lifestyle change, because i had reached a cross roads where i was unhappy with almost everything especialy my desk job and what seemed to me that i was never seeing the sunlight of day, always the flourecent tubes above my desk.

My Mum & Dad took me to NZ for a holiday and i fell in love with the place, the natural amazing purely overwhelming beauty.

I took up extreme sports balancing adrenalin filled days with logic programming filled nights and althogh there were tough times i was generaly much happier with my life style.

A few years later i met my wife, we met, fell in love and within 3 months were married, it was not long after that when i started feeling down, feeling as if i was not giving my wife the time she diserved from a loving husband as i was always at a computer programming....

A month or so on, we honeymooned around the world, L.A, Mexico, England, Scotland & Wales and on the way back a shopping spree in Hong Kong. What you could say was a truely amazing honeymoon.

Now how could someone in the midst of this wonderfull time suddenly develop a depression again so deep that i though i would have to commit my self into hospital in fear of what i might to do my self but more worryingly others.

I was put on anti-depressants which i had been given once before and they worked well within a few weeks for a messy breakup from a almost froudulent abusive relationship where i was being used as a cashcow.

Now when i was put on the anti-depressants i was starting to get confident "in a few weeks ill be better again" well a few weeks turned into months and months and i got worse and the dosages increased and i got worse untill in the end all i was in effect was a walking humanoid computer, able to compute just with no emotions.

I had tried to top my self although its alittle blury as i had been drinking to blank things out. Thankfully this didnt work and there was no lasting damage.

Funnily enough i started getting better when i stopped taking the medication as i had to be off it for a couple of weeks to try a new medication but nearing the time when i was due to be put onto this medication i had an engagement with an american television show where i had arranged for them to stay at a Marae (Maori meeting hut) for an evening of culture, i met the cast which was nice but not orgasmic or anything it wasnt about that it was about given them a chance to experience something else on there travel to paradise (or home for me).

There was some friction over filming waivers not being signed twice and they left with some negativity left behind, not with me but in general a feel if you like that the whole experience was soured.

But that morning when i woke with the crew i had slept with under the carvings in the Marae i felt different and i went out while the crew were filming and i met one of the Maori ladies who was looking after thier guests and she looked me in the eyes and i cried. I cried and cried and it was almost like a flood of nice emotions was comming back and that the zombie which was me was starting to be human again, almost as if being stuck in a basement room with grey walls and a dusty window to being led out side to lush green grass, lovely smelling flowers and the sun beating down and warming your face, truely magical.

Needless to say i went home with a smile on my face and instantly my wife new i was back, some people who have never experienced this illness will not know what i mean but those who have will know what its like to be truely back, you the real you, happy content and at peace with the world.

Its been two years since that time and ive not been on any anti-depressive medication, i have a highly skilled job and i still write programs for the Guardian news paper (Guardian Chalkboards) is one of my creations which i still work on, also the Telegraph and Sky television as well as other European companies from the comfort of my lazy boy arm chair in the tv room of our house with my wife and 6 month old son here in Sunny Nelson, New Zealand.

I have some off days and thankfully i spot when these start to come and i change my pattern and habbits to break that cycle as quickly as possible, my wife puts up with me being a bit grumpy for a week and then im back to normal for a long time.

Its a hard struggle but you know i feel more now, not just for my self but for others who are suffering, i hate to see people hurting, physically, emotionaly, mentaly, financialy and would give the last $ in my pocket for them if it would make a difference. Of course i have a life, a loving angel of a wife, my best friend in the whole world, we have a lovely son who is healthy with no deformaties and who is as 'sharp as a tack' (Australian saying that), and im proud of what i have and i still try to be better, more and more with feelings of wanting to do things with my hands, less mental logical work and more shaping wood, fixing things a different kind of satisfaction. This of course comes after work as this is what pays the bills, puts food on our table and keeps us warm giving us funds to do things but if i could live a simple life with my family in a batch out in the brush on a hillside with water and food, i think i would love it for a while but after a while would want the old easy money live style back.

What im trying to say is, im happy that i am who i am now, i dont feel the need to be anything more than David. I am a husband, im a father and love my family more than i can express.

I want to say Thank you for making your program, which aird tonight on one of our sky channels, it touched me. made me cry and i felt for you as well as those who you visited, it brought me back and reminded me of what i had lost within depression and what i have around me and gained since comming into the sunshine and i just really wanted to say thank you.

A good honest program, an emtional journey for yourself i can understand especially being in the public eye, for me a simple drive over the mountain to a nice fishing spot is enough to break me away from the stress and strain for another few weeks or months and i try to make sure i do this as my 'medication'.

Anytime you are over in Nelson you are welcome to join us on the boat and just sit back and relax and try to catch and release some fish.

Thanks Stephen, keep positive and know you are Stephen and need not be anything more or less than you.

Blessings from NZ.

David & Family.

p.s please excuse my spelling but it is bad and i find spell checking anoying and time consuming

Jackyblu

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 11:42am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dearest Mr. Fry,

Thank you. Thank you, and once again for the sake of being redundant it is you I thank.

Goodness she does seem grateful.

Do I? It was purely intentional.

I’m not really here you know. This is a cyber letter. Do you ‘talk’ to yourself often?

Perhaps a bit more that I should but I am not schizophrenic if that is your concern.

Well it isn’t actually. I was simply curious. You’re bipolar aren’t you?

Yes. I was just diagnosed. Which reminds me of my purpose here. I wanted to thank you.

Yes, you did that already.

I did? Sorry. I have a short term memory issue with my meds.

I see.

I was about to thank you for something.

Did I lend you money or send you a card?

No…. It was the documentary, that brilliant documentary. It explained so much in such an unvarnished way. I forwarded a link to it so that my sisters could watch and possibly to understand what is and has been happening to me.

I am glad it helped.

It more than helped. It gave me hope. I maybe sick but I can return to a functioning human being. Did you know that I spent this past summer in my room never dressing in anything but pajamas and seeing no one?

No I didn’t. You never left your room?

Well not never, but very little and I did not go outside at all. It wasn’t agoraphobia. I just didn’t want to see anyone.

But the documentary helped?

I understood that I am not alone in this. There are others who have experienced what is happening to me, you being one of them. By the way Stephen…

Yes?

Please keep tweeting. You have no idea how many of us follow you and are delighted by most anything you have to say. My personal favorite was when the electricity in your area of Los Angeles went off and the gate could not open. Being very familiar with the area I could picture it all.

Well it was a bit irksome.

I am going to close with an opinion.

Oh must you. You know what they say about opinions. They are like…

Everyone has a bad day. Everyone is entitled to be depressed. When you’re bipolar apparently your entitlement is just bigger. Thanks for reading. I have left the kettle on. Bye.

Jacky?

Yes?

You’re welcome.

I have never seen a purple cow...and thank God for that!