Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

NigelBMD?

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 12:49pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hello Steven and all others, I watched your show The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive the other night and would like to say thanks and congrad's on putting together a fabulous doc.
I have suffered depression for many years spent a short period on light meds around 15yr's back, have not had any since but the more I learn about this illness the more I ponder on the incidents and possibly manic periods in my past and present I know my mother suffered depression, and addictive personalities run in the family, My brother (a drug and alcohol councilor) tells me not to self diagnose and I am presently doing a nursing diploma and know I should stay clear of diagnosing but I could so relate to many of the stories on the show, I work nightshift in a dementia/aged care facility and do my coarse online so have good excuse for not sleeping much, my head always seems so busy and so erratic it would be great to have a personal secretary in there i really think I could accomplish so much, but for now i'll plod along being told to slow down, get over it or what do you want now.
I would love to see more documentary's on this illness and possibly showing the difficulties of people from the lower socioeconomic levels of society who don't have the opportunity to take a break trying to raise a family keep food on the table and a roof over our heads pay the mortgage, kids education all the basics, its bloody hard and we are lucky enough that my partner and I both work I believe a lot more people are suffering than figures show.
Anyway I ramble thanks again for great work with this and for all the laughs
all the best to everybody I believe we all have a special purpose whether we know it or not.
Nigel.

Lucozade

Posted Fri Nov 27th, 2009 12:18am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful and insightful documentary. I watched it recently due to the wonders of youtube, at the moment I am living in Germany, and we find it quite difficult to catch British TV here.

I have suffered from depression for many years, the first episode I remember was aged 7, but of course my GP at the time just said I was being a misery and to buck up. Since then my life has been a series of depressive episodes or recovering from them up until a massive breakdown about 7 years ago. I felt that the world would be a better place without me, so I took my lovely Mini and a hosepipe into a garage and set to work, obviously it didn't work, and aftr 6 months being in and out of the grubbiest hospitals in the world I finally met with a therapist who taught me that I wasn't the completely useless piece of shit I believed I was. The great irony of all this is that I am a psychiatric nurse by trade, talk about the wounded healer......

Stephen, should you read this rambling entry on your fine forum, please take away from it my profound thanks for your openness and honesty about a subject which is still taboo and gives most people the screaming heebeejeebees even to contemplate. Please also accept my humble cyber hugs for those days when the black clouds descend; in the hope that, in some small way, I might be of use to you, a man who, all unknowing, makes my life just that bit more smiley.

much love xxx

It is a mistake to think that you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

UnsettlingLife

Posted Tue Dec 8th, 2009 11:47am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen

You freed me by helping me to face up to and come to terms with this infuriating illness. After watching your documentary when it first aired, I thought if Stephen can handle his illness in such a public way, I can do something similar. However, even if I had a public profile such as yours I'd be too frightened of the stigma to announce myself as you did. That said, I've taken the first step by finally completing my autobiographical account of how the illness has dictated my life.

I 'finished' the book yesterday and sent it to a publishing house which you brought to my attention via Twitter. It will be some time before I find out if my scribbling is worthy enough for print, but just by writing it, the healing process has already begun. I'm not yet ready to talk openly to people that know me because as a result of my past behaviour I've lost most of my friends and don't want to lose the few I have left. But hopefully I'll get there soon.

Regards
BTM

LeglessCats

Posted Wed Jan 13th, 2010 10:39am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hello Stephen,
I'm sorry. This is awkward for me because all of the letters I write these days are angry blog entries addressed to common or collective nouns, and this isn't like that at all.
Thank you for what I've learned from you. I caught the Secret Life documentary at just the right time to realize that this week shouldn't be my last one, and you probably wouldn't even believe what it was that connected things and brought me around. I'm still trying to fully understand being called "bipolar" because I'd always been treated for only depression and anxiety before. I thought I was just finally in a good mood and happened to be a terrible person when things were up. I have other diagnoses too (PTSD and ADD), but this one is the hairiest bitch to quiet down even with better medication (lithium as opposed to very new and terrible SSRIs an old doctor insisted I keep trying). I'm still a terrible mess, but it's looking up for now at least.

Thank you once more. Really.
-b

snowangel_03

Posted Thu Jan 28th, 2010 4:58pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I'd just like to say that I admire you highly for you dealing with your illness publicly. It made me feel so much more able to deal with my own illness. I can't begin to say how many times QI has brought a smile to my face on one of my low times.

I belong to a support group in the aea I live and we were recently in a local paper and when we were talking about how private sufferers are about their illnesses, I mentioned you and how you admitted pubicly that you had this illness and that it doesn't need to be the end of anything.

I admire your strength and your courage and to you sir, I infinitely thank you.

jo_maycock

Posted Sat Jan 30th, 2010 5:18am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

When I was 11 I first suffered from Bipolar Disorder but had no idea what it was.
When I was 13 I started self harming.
When I was 14 I attempted suicide and then afterwards received very little help and merely continued to fight on alone.
When I was 17 I saw TSLoaMD and suddenly my entire life seemed so much more understandable. For the first time I realised what my problem was.
As a result I sort help, and it has by no means been the end of my troubles but it has meant I am far less alone than I was for the six years it took me to realise.
Thank you so much, I owe you everything.

Jo Maycock x

Having a great intellect is no path to being happy.
Stephen Fry

Tygress

Posted Sun Feb 21st, 2010 3:23pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I wish to express my deep appreciation and thanks to Mr. Fry for his documentary on Biploar or Manic Depression which was recently screened on our Pay-Per-View Bio channel. Not only have I made copies of it for myself and my friends (to help them to better understand my outlandish behaviour as a Bipolar Type A sufferer as well as their family members who also suffer from this illness), I have also vowed to use it in my work as a Consumer Companion in the Acute Mental Health wards of my local general hospital. This is someone who goes into these wards to talk to sufferers, share my story and delight or agonize over theirs.

Thinking about it, if it were not for my being able to access the stories of other sufferers who are functioning as "normally" as they can (like Mr. Fry) I do not think that I would have the courage to go out into the world and do the work that I love to do which is to help those like me.

For years mental health illness has ensured that a stigma has been attached to the sufferer and made it very difficult for those sufferers to try and function in the "real world" due to that stigma....including myself. Hopefully now, through the courageous and self-sacrificing actions of both high-profile and "normal" sufferers/surviors of this sometimes devestating illness, that stigma will be obliterated.

Thank you, Mr Stephen Fry, all those who I have shown your story are now even bigger fans of yours than ever.

As for me, I owe you the greatest thanks of all. You and the others in this inspiring doco make me believe that if you manage to live somewhat "normal" lives whilst battling this illness (and anxiety as I do) I can do it too.

Kylie Nicholson
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

khobman12

Posted Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 11:45pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Yet an another amazing programme from Mr Fry but for a different reason.

He finally gives an insight on this from someone who knows what they are talking about. Someone who knows how it feels to be with this disorder.

soilduck

Posted Wed Feb 24th, 2010 11:30pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

The show screen in Australia on ABC2 last night.

As a first and second hand experienced person with various mental illnesses, I was so happy to see a documentary such as Fry's. A realistic, down to earth, personal discovery, which is something we all have to do in these situations.

As a Scientist, I also appreciated that he looked into many therapy's and treatments.

I don't usually comment on forums. However, I just wanted to express my thanks for this fantastic documentary. I will be passing it on to all my friends.

Thank you for your effort to reduce the stigma of mental illness. I hope you keep pursuing this field and I hope you keep well yourself.

Rhona

Posted Wed Mar 3rd, 2010 11:51am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr. Fry - I currently live in Canada but am moving back to Scotland in April. I have followed all of your hard work for years. My daughter lives in Aberdeen and has always sent me links and filled me in on anything that you do that I haven't already discovered for myself. I am very interested in participating in your bipolar study in which you need another 3000 volunteers, I just don't know how to go about finding out how to go about this.
I thank you for all of your hard work!!
Sincerely, Rhona

laurs

Posted Thu Apr 15th, 2010 2:29pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

By watching, reading and listening to all the works you've created you have brought laughter and understanding to me in times where it was greatly needed and for that, I am most gracious.

tmidir

Posted Thu Apr 22nd, 2010 11:58pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

It must have taken some guts, courage and an element of big cahunas to allow the cameras to see the stripped down version of the wonderful Mr Stephen Fry and then to share your experiences with the world. Sensitive, informative, moving and amusing in equal measure. I empathise and relate from a depressive perspective. It can sometimes feel like the loneliness place in the world but the secret life of the manic depressive removed a huge part of the stigma of mental illness, opening many doors for people that were previously locked, and showed the human face, one that is respected and, indeed, reveared by many (that's you Mr Fry, that is). we are all in this tiny world together, so many of us can relate to one another. Big hugs and thanks, you've made a huge positive difference to many peoples lives

ni or ecky ecky ptang ptang....I just can\'t decide!

taliahad

Posted Sun May 9th, 2010 8:33pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hello everyone

Since I've just stumbled in here from twitter, I thought it would be appropriate to say three cheers to Stephen for all his wonderful work. I spent last night watching three episodes of Jeeves and Wooster, a timeless classic that took me away from the troubles of life, for a while and had me laughing out loud.

Thanks for putting a little more laughter into the world.

jessicatron

Posted Wed May 12th, 2010 11:48am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

thank you so much for this documentary. it's insightful, frank, funny, accurate, interesting... it's an awesome documentary. i am bipolar (unmedicated, no longer in treatment), and i've been having a really hard time lately. just knowing that so many people (including famous people that i respect) are out there and going through the same things i've been going through has made me feel tremendously better. your documentary has made me feel less disconnected with the world.

when watching the documentary, i found myself wanting to tell you and to tell everyone who struggles with this: it doesn't have to be so bad forever. it's scary at first, but it's going to get better. you're going to understand what's happening to you. then, you just have to wait out and cope with the bad parts. thank you for helping me to see that again, because it got so bad that the image of that eventual wellness was starting to get really fuzzy.

and most of all, thank you for putting yourself out there and helping to correct the stigma associated with bipolar. thank you for showing that it's not all bad, thank you for explaining how terrible it *can* be and for showing the reasons why people with bipolar disorder do what they do. thanks for illuminating the struggle. thanks for letting people see your black moods and your manic episodes. it takes courage to show the monster to the world.

alleycat

Posted Thu May 13th, 2010 9:48am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

There is such a stigma in the environment regarding mental health that it is inspiring that Mr Fry created such a wonderful audio visual diary of sufferers for sufferers. To those who think they are untouched by mental health or can somehow remain immune are the very people who will need mental health services in the future.

Thank you Mr Fry for all your endeavours, not just in mental health but your creativity. Thank you for sharing yourself with the world, putting yourself out there and challenging the norm.

Art should be challenging and often confronting...

Karen

Alleycat
Queensland, Australia
"Walking on Sunshine ..."