Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

The Dizzy Hippy

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 8:53am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Thank you so much for doing this Stephen. This film should be required viewing for anyone with a relative/friend/colleague who has bipolar.
My son has battled with this condition for all his adult life without realising hwat it was (he is 27 now) I suspected but felt he needed to come to it in his own time, whiel caring/supoorting him as best I could. He is now taking Lithium and Epilim and lives in the 'letterbox' experiencing 'normality' for the first time in his life. He can sleep, process the creativity his mania streams (screams) at him and sees a future for himself.
If he had seen your film 2 years ago, better still 5 or 10 years ago who knows what he could have achieved by now .
One thing we were able to do, since he refuses cognitive therapy (mainly from a fear of 'letting out the demons') was that we were able to discuss between us the darker side of his condition and he let go of a lot of s*&t! he had been holdinh onto.
Many many many thanks!

Speakercone

Posted Thu May 27th, 2010 12:31am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr. Fry,

First and foremost, if I ever have occasion to meet you, the drinks are on me. No, please, I'm afraid that I must insist on the matter.

I suffer from clinical depression and have twice attempted suicide. Several years ago I was on a plane when I stumbled on your documentary on bipolar disorder. Until that point I had attempted to simply tough it out, telling myself that it was a specific type of weakness which caused me the pain I felt. Naturally the solution was to make myself stronger. Just as naturally, that didn't work.

When I saw that you, the man I admire most in this world, suffered from something similar but saw no shame or weakness in it, indeed has thrived despite it (throve, thriven, bethroven :wink:), that made me stop and think. The following week I started seeking treatment. I now continue to seek treatment with varying levels of success. At the same time I told my parents and my sister who have been unbelievably supportive. I told my close friends who have been equally supportive. In essence, I have marshalled my forces and gathered all available resources as best I can and am now confident that I can, eventually, get better. Failing that, I can at least live relatively happily.

This was a process which started due entirely to your work. I owe you my life, my health, and my wellbeing in a very real and literal way. That is why I must insist on buying your drinks. It really is the least I can do.

Kind Regards,

SpeakerCone.

that\'s exactly what I was thinking...

Ccrawley

Posted Thu May 27th, 2010 6:39am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen,

As a depressive with social anxiety disorder, I stumbled upon your Secret Life of the Manic Depressive, and felt relieved that someone out there understood. While I had started seeking help myself, the inspiration that you have given has in no small part helped myself, as well as countless others, as shown in the posts previously.

While I don't presume to speak for everyone here, I know thanks is in order. I would like to offer my deepest gratitude for helping me face what lies inside myself.

May your future be bright, and your days content.

Looking forward to more of your special brand of loveliness

CC

A Shadows Life

Posted Sun May 30th, 2010 4:05pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen,

I owe you my life for your 'Secret Life of a Manic Depressive'. Had I not stumbled upon it two years ago I can honestly say I would not be here today. I had no idea of what was happening to me and was at the absolute rock bottom of my life. Thanks to you I got the help I needed and even though I struggle everyday it helps me just to know that one person manages to keep going everyday and has managed to survive for 52 years and considering I am only 17 years old it gives me a lot of hope!

Thankyou so so much not only for the documentary but your humour and utter intellect.

Look after yourself and best wishes for the rest of your life.

Jessica.

Jessica x

ruthy

Posted Sun Jun 6th, 2010 11:07am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

When my husband saw The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive he hugged me and told me he was ashamed of himself for not realising what I was going through. It has had a profound effect on us, Thank you so much for saving my marriage! Love and hugs to youxxxxxxxxx

tracey mitchell

Posted Wed Jun 30th, 2010 2:36am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I'm not presuming to know his mind but from what little i see on interviews I'm guessing if i were to spout out sycophantic praises it would just embarrass the heck out of Stephen, so ill just say big thumbs up and thank you for giving a multitude of causes a voice.
cheers... the drinks metaphorically speaking on me.. (but ill let you pay cuz yer wallets better endowed than mine , and there be the proof of my blood )

zopalok

Posted Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 11:55pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Big thumbs up Mr fry

lafftur

Posted Tue Jul 6th, 2010 3:53am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Ah, one more chip on the gratitude grate...thank you for making this film. It helps me understand ever so much about myself, and helps others understand what is happening to me. It helps so very much. You did a good thing.

lafftur
"Mad, bad and a real hoot to know"

John-Anon

Posted Tue Jul 20th, 2010 10:10pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

There's nothing really to say that hasn't been said already, I just wanted to add myself to the long list of people expressing their genuine thanks for all that you've done.

So here it is.... thank you Stephen, you've made more of a difference than you could ever imagine.

John

EmJay76

Posted Wed Jul 28th, 2010 3:51pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen

While you may never read this, and I have no way to contact you personally, I want you to know how profoundly moved I was by your documentary. I was diagnosed bipolar only three years ago and understanding why I kept screwing up my life didn't actually seem to help much - it just meant I knew for sure something was wrong with me, which I'd secretly suspected for years. Now that I know someone as bright and beautiful and talented as you can go through the same experiences in spite of all your success, I realise that I can make a success of my own life.

I shed a tear at the end for the poignant sense of confusion and frustration and endless loneliness you captured so perfectly, and for the the sliver of hope I glimpsed.

Thank you. It's too little a sentiment for what you have done. I hope to repay your gift by making a huge success of myself. Please keep going. Don't ever stop. You are amazing.

Sincerely,
Myfanwy

Mr.Noisy

Posted Tue Aug 3rd, 2010 8:42pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I had my first experience of following the signs through the hospital to the mental health department today. I would just like to say that a friendly face awaited my arrival - yes, it was the delectable Mr. Fry - in poster form at least. Your campaign to raise the awareness, and reduce the stigma attached to, mental illness is greatly appreciated.
I thank you.

SonyaW

Posted Mon Oct 4th, 2010 11:49am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I'm new to the forums, but wanted to say thank you. Thank you for your wonderful work that makes so many people laugh and thank you for being so bloody honest and open about things. Very brave of you to help so many.

Love your work

Sonya
Australia

KeithBizzell

Posted Sun Oct 10th, 2010 10:07pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I think that before I start whining and complaining about my 'problems' on threads of this forum, I need to first say a huge thank you to Mr Fry for setting this up and to the other people who help run it.

This is to me a much needed place at the moment for a few reasons. I'm in a period of depression at the moment that i cannot see a way out of and am spending most of each day and night on the computer trying to keep myself and my mind occupied.

Stephen has made in his career such a range of amazing work that will always get me interested; written filmed, recorded... I usually find that because of his frank and open way of presenting himself and facts, there is something new of him that I can relate to very closely within each piece of his work that I see.

I appreciate in a world where I find it hard to live and find honesty even amongst 'friends', the fact that there is someone else in existence who will actually admit to their own weaknesses in the way I have to with mine (even in both cases if it results in self criticism far beyond what is fair).

I'm going to stop typing now because I'll fill a page or 6 with all the compliments and gratitude I could pass towards Stephen Fry.

So I'll finish off by saying thank you Stephen for being a friend to all of us.
I hope that in some small way, we may be able to give back some of the support you have shown us.

Keith Bizzell xx

"That's all it is, we're all crazy but we won't admit, the one is just the one we're comfortable to be crazy with." - Akala

KeithBizzell

Posted Sat Oct 16th, 2010 3:16pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I realize that this statement could be taken wrong, I hope it wont be. It was meant as a comment on myself not anyone else.

"I think that before I start whining and complaining about my 'problems' on threads of this forum, I need to first say a huge thank you to Mr Fry for setting this up and to the other people who help run it."

I just feel sometimes that I don't have the right to feel as bad as I do, being as there are people who have much worse things to deal with than I do.

This is why I've been looking for a place like this, because I don't want to burden my friends/family with how I feel.

At least on here people can read if they want or ignore if they want.

Keith. xx.

"That's all it is, we're all crazy but we won't admit, the one is just the one we're comfortable to be crazy with." - Akala

Vampyros

Posted Mon Oct 18th, 2010 7:06pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Just got the Chronicles from the library - too skint to buy it at the mo. But I am the first to check it out so almost the same.

Vx

The Katy Sara Culling Tribute is ready in e-Book form http://chipmunkapublishing.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2326 Charity/Bipolar