Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

rosiela

Posted Tue Oct 19th, 2010 7:36pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen

Stumbled across this forum while searching online for how best to contact you. Not sure if you will read this, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Thank you for making this documentary. Thank you for your openness about your own condition. Thank you for breaking down barriers and helping other people feel less alone.

I have been dealing with depression for quite some time now. Medication, counselling, dipping in and out of therapy, lots of boring books, and the daily grind of just gritting my teeth and trying to help myself to get well.

Thank you for being the wonderful, warm, open person that you are - you are an inspiration.

X

justjanelle

Posted Mon Nov 1st, 2010 3:19pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I watch almost helplessly as a family member suffers through a combination of Mental Illnesses. Bi-Polar coupled with severe Anorexia are the diagnosed names. The stark reality of the suffering that not only effects the person so deeply but those surrounding and loving them. It is people like Stephen Fry with his honesty and eloquent way of summing up the stark reality of mental illness that lead me to believe that we can do better. "We" being close family, local communities, doctors care, hospital facilities, governments that control the financing.
There is no doubt in my mind that we have a long way to go (certainly here in Australia). But we must start making things better for those suffering.
I have personally seen some atrocities in the treatment here. Help has a longgggggggg way to go. I could probably write a book about how bad it is haha.. but I stay positive when I see the likes of Stephen paving the road ahead for awareness.
Thank you.

MrCartoonguy

Posted Thu Nov 18th, 2010 8:53pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hello Mr Fry,
Cheers mate

Reality is contigent; the only permanent concept in the multiverse is change - death. We are born into it and it follows us.

Terryshilo

Posted Sun Mar 13th, 2011 11:02am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I really enjoyed Stephens direct, honest and attentive caring of others in his making of this documentary. My brother died as a result of years and series of uncontrolled medications. (he did not overdoes as determined during his postmortem). He would self medicate at times or go off completely. These meds as pointed out need to be monitored and adjusted routinely. Side affects were common and placed a tremendous amount of weight on him, he was proud and it hurt him. I realize in his 37yrs with us, he went through far more than I can/could have possibly fathomed. The meds can be a godsend in a monitored/clinical situation, they are extremely hard on the organs, especially the liver. My brothers burst. He certainly had his manic episodes and had severe depression. He was starting over and moved states, between jobs during this short time of being ill with what he believed was the worst flu he had ever had and did not have insurance coverage. With moving expenses he did not want the additional cost of hospitalization. I hope he knew all he had to do was ask and the family would have pooled or borrowed to cover his medical care as we did when he would get in a MANIC bind. (As an expat, I detest the American health system for this, three days further and he would have been insured through the Government position he accepted. I'm fully aware none of this can be changed now, but it does beggar belief that so many Americans put the fright of huge hospital bills in front of their health). I realize I've rambled on here and apologize... today was the fifth year of his passing and the first time I could watch something related to BiPolar dissorder. It's been helpful reading your forum/threads and having the opportunity to vent, I miss him, I did a large part in raising him. It's taken the family a long time to get as far with his passing to this point. He was our youngest and frankly I thought I would go before he would.

Thank you Stephen, IMO I see heart, soul and intelligence in everything you do. Well done and this documentary could not have been made by an American in the same fashion, it would have been far more clinical. I wish you a long balanced and contented life whether you chose or choose any of the treatments available outlined in the programme. It was therapeutic as a survivor of loss by side effects of BiPolar and someone that's dealt with my own mental health issues.

gracek

Posted Tue Mar 15th, 2011 5:04am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Mr. Fry, I want to thank you for frank discussion of manic depression in this documentary. For the past three years I have been dealing with serious mental health problems, and have only recently been diagnosed with Bipolar I. After being diagnosed and put on medications, a friend told me about your documentary. I was already a fan of your work, especially QI and A Bit of Fry and Laurie, but had never heard about this documentary. Watching it made so many of the pieces fall into place that were previously whirling about in my chaotic mind. It was so comforting to know that other people in the world are dealing with the same issues as I am, to know that there are people who understand what it is like to feel euphoric, as though one can fly and in the same day feel so depressed that one cries for no reason and suicide seems like a pretty good decision. So Stephen, thank you for providing me some insight and comfort in this confusing and tumultuous time.

eyepro

Posted Sun Mar 20th, 2011 1:28am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen: There is very little I can add to the many thoughts already expressed here. Certainly nothing I can say is any different, unique or more heart-felt than anything already posted here. My message to you is merely the same as all the others....thank you. You've been an inspiration to me, as you have been to so many people. I don't think you'll ever really know how much you've helped us and aided us.....in my case, to find therapy, and a diagnosis. I had several "wake-up calls" before entering therapy in Jan, 2008; and watching "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive" was one - a MAJOR one! So, again, thank you for that documentary, which taught us all a little something about what's inside us. Thank you too....for just being....you, Stephen. You are very very special indeed.

Chickdrummer

Posted Fri Apr 22nd, 2011 10:52am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen,

I clearly remember the day I was diagnosed with bipolar (after twenty odd years of seeking treatment for depression). I was scared and overwhelmed. That night I consulted Dr Google and am so grateful that the first result I went with was The Secret Life Of The Manic Depressive. Informative, entertaining and empathetic, and the best possible start to getting my head around what goes on in my head.

Not quite a year later I am still in the veritable Hilton of a hell hole I dug for myself in my last monumental manic/depressive stage. Yet I am happier, calmer and generally more philosophical about life and my place in it than I have ever been. I am managing my condition, and instead of railing against the countless health professionals who didn't diagnose my condition correctly, I'm adopting a 'better late than never' stance.

You inspire me Stephen, and I thank you. It's comforting to know someone of your prodigious talent and considerable charm is 'one of us', even more so that you have the courage to use your profile to increase understanding and reduce the stigma of being bipolar.

The fact that so much of your work has also made me laugh (all too often a rare commodity) magnifies my admiration tenfold.

I salute you Stephen!

If you are going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

Vampyros

Posted Fri Apr 22nd, 2011 1:06pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

He is an amazing man, and we are all greatful that he took the brave step in creating this program and take a huge leap forward in the anti-stigma fight.

Vx

The Katy Sara Culling Tribute is ready in e-Book form http://chipmunkapublishing.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2326 Charity/Bipolar

Clementine

Posted Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 6:33pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr FRY,

I am a French bipolar (type 1) woman, living in Lille and I think that your work is very much useful.

Since very recently, I am employed by the World Health Organization on an experimental project concerning mental illness and I am also very happy to give my best against mental disorders.

All the best,

Clementine

Upanddown

Posted Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 8:10pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Thank you Mr. Fry for making me realize how much of a loon I really am. I know the doctor told me I was six years ago, put me on some meds, and sent me on my jolly (and depressed) way. It took you documentary to show me other people with the same blessing (curse) were just like me.

This too shall pass.

Saintbones

Posted Mon May 23rd, 2011 7:06am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Im honestly not sure what to say, I am new to this whole forum thing, in saying that I have been diagnosed with bi polarlity. I have found Mr Fry's work uplifting and a ray of hope.
I can say with out a doubt we are all lucky to have it exposed in such a way.
Thanks and always a fan
B

Gwennie

Posted Fri Jun 3rd, 2011 3:38pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr. Fry,

Thank you so much for publicly sharing your struggles with manic depression. There are so many of us who have been touched by mental illness in our own lives, either by experiencing it personally or witnessing a loved one struggle through it. It is an odd paradox that a society, which can now speak openly and unabashedly about topics that were once unspeakable, still remains largely silent when it comes to mental illness. Thank you for helping all of us feel less isolated and realize that mental illness does not have to be barrier from realizing career success, happiness or (most importantly) love.

Gwen

Carolina1

Posted Sun Jun 5th, 2011 4:26am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Mr Fry, we love you.

whoami

Posted Tue Jun 7th, 2011 7:20am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr. Fry,

I also want to thank you for this film. There is such a stigma around this disorder (so much so that I just deleted my reference to the loved one who showed me this film, just in case this post should somehow be traced back to me somehow by someone who knows him). I hope your film helps to erase some of the stigma. And I hope also that someday you'll make another film, a follow up to this one.

Specifically, I wonder if you'd consider making a film that would focus on bipolar addictions...you covered addiction to shopping the first time, but I would be interested to learn about the experience of others with relationship addictions, inability to draw boundaries with others -- I see that in people with bipolar, that it seems as though everything (at least during certain phases) must be limitless and so, if someone out there needs one, one reaches out to help -- even if it is an acquaintance one barely knows who one feels one must send the last $150 in the bank account to, even though one can't pay one's own rent, because the acquaintance is stranded with unappreciative relatives and needs a plane ticket away, for example. Or when the person reaching out is the ex-lover one cheated on one's wife with (well, one of several ex-lovers who fall into that category), who one then winds up rekindling an affair (either physical or emotional) with out of the sheer bloodyminded inability to say no. Or even when the person is a friend, a good friend, who stops by in the evening after work and wants to hang out for an hour but one is trying desperately to meet a work deadline and nevertheless puts every single thing on hold in order to sit there with that friend and watch a movie for two hours, because one can't simply tell a friend to come back the next day, can one, as that would involve, again, the ability to say no. Do you see what I mean about relationship addiction? And boundary-drawing? Do these sorts of scenarios ring a bell with other people out there? I would so like to see this topic covered in film.

Either way, thank you again, as you have made a devoted fan for life out of someone who never heard of you before I saw this film!

MrCartoonguy

Posted Mon Jun 20th, 2011 5:53pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

You signed my painting so I am happy

Reality is contigent; the only permanent concept in the multiverse is change - death. We are born into it and it follows us.