Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nerve

Posted Thu Aug 4th, 2011 2:17am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr.Fry.
I´ve been wanting to write you this thank you note for a long time, but thought it was a bit silly. I just saw the documentary for the second time and knew that I had to do it.

Thank you for speaking up and teaching the world and me something about this illness. I was diagnosed when I was 18 and have a father and an uncle with the illness. It helped me understand myself and my father a little more. I think you are very brave to expose so much of yourself, and I wish that I was so brave. Ever since I saw the documentary I´ve been writing a blog in norwegian about living with the illness, and now I´ve started writing in english as well. But I do it under a psudonym because I´m scared that future employers will see it and what my family would think of it. It shouldn´t be like that, but it is.

As I said I just saw the documentary and it gave me some new hope. My life is not so great at the moment, and I feel a depression on it´s way. But seeing all the people in the documentary reminded me that I´m not alone, I can reach out to someone, somewhere. I´m not as isolated as I might think I am. It gave me some courage and some strength.

So thank you so much! I hope the stigma of beeing mentally ill will fade away some day.

Sincerly, Nerve
http://www.nervebloggereng.wordpress.com

The CatBat Princess

Posted Sun Aug 7th, 2011 4:21pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I too think I should get around to saying thankyou to Mr Fry.
Not only for the warmth and wit of his character that makes me smile and perks me up, but for the help he has given by making his fantastic documentaries, namely 'The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive' it has helped to open many peoples eyes and minds.
I would also like to thank him for lending his voice to the Harry Potter series on audiobook. I have oten listened to these at night to help drift off and also in the first few weeks of life they helped my daughter to be comforted and fall asleep too!! A treat for any new mother:)

I like to dress up as a peapod sometimes.
http://thecatbatprincess.wordpress.com/

migli

Posted Sun Oct 16th, 2011 8:43pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr. Fry,

Your documentary on bipolar disorders/ manic depressions has helped me a great deal to understand the life and the feelings of my own mother. I only learned that she was diagnosed as bipolar from going through her medical files after her funeral.

For the greatest part of my life, I only knew her as a dishonest, irresponsible and violent alcoholic. I stopped all contact with her after I moved out of my parents' house and hadn't seen her for twelve years when she died.

After seeing your documentary, and from talking with family members about her past (she used to be very creative and energetic) I am starting to understand her feelings and see that the alcoholism might very well have been a result of self-medication. I doubt if I can ever fully forgive her for her actions, but your work has given me new insights into an important figure in my life, which helps me a lot in coping with my past.

I wish she would have had your strength in accepting the disorder and the strength to seek help.

Many thanks and I wish you all the best.

N. Wilson

Posted Tue Nov 1st, 2011 2:37pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I watched Stephen's documentary last night and just had to express my amazement and admiration.
Despite being a dedicated disciple of Fry for some years now I approached the programme with trepidation; so many other presenters would have created something mawkish, patronising, tawdry, etc. Such a delicate subject must also be difficult to adequately explore within two episodes.
How wrong I was! The intelligence and sensitivity which pervaded the entire programme enriched my attitude towards mental illness, both in its manifestation and the manner in which it can be discussed.
Stephen's personal experiences of bi-polar disorder bestowed an integrity and authenticity on the endeavour which I never thought possible and the choice of interviewees helped to convey the complex and subjective nature of manic depression.
Well done Stephen!

3kh0

Posted Wed Nov 16th, 2011 6:10pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Stephen,
I know this is a one way conversation but seeing this documentary it was like finally having someone take my hand and say its OK.
my tears well up again as they did watching the candid way you put so beautifully the depression i struggle to explain to those around me. To hear my own questioning as being normal. would i get rid of this? does it help making me well me. all these things that i thought made me a freak really. suddenly I wasn't alone lost in the ocean of humanity. hearing the others and yourself talk about the reality not from a text book but from life i realized i can't run anymore from this. Bipolar isn't going to disappear from my life.

Thank you i see Bipolar now as a light not a train now.

ALO

Posted Wed Nov 16th, 2011 10:54pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

TThis week we were finally informed of my father’s actual illness after almost forty years. He is bipolar. During my upbringing it was difficult to understand why he behaved the way he did. Not knowing about the illness created a lot of pain, guilt and sometimes even anger in me. Your documentary is the first information about manic depression that I have received and I'm ever so grateful for that. After I watched it I called my father and I could finally understand his world a little bit better. I asked him a great deal of questions about his emotions, thoughts but I also said sorry to him if I ever had treated him badly in the past. I never really knew how to communicate with him before. It's not easy for a child to have a parent with a bipolar disorder. He answered that he was the one who should apologize for not being there for me. So it seems that getting the actual diagnose and seeing your documentary is bringing us closer and healing our father and daughter relationship. I’m ever so thankful for that Stephen. I wish you all the best and that you find a way to balance your manic depression in the way you find most suitable for you. Anne-Louise

Drac0

Posted Sun Jan 15th, 2012 1:58pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I'll add my thanks & appreciation for this great documentary.

At the times this aired in Australia I only had the idea I was bipolar, having lived a number of years with a diagnosis of major depression. I could relate to so much that was said during the two episodes.

I've now hit the sticking point Stephen had during the show, the question of the use of lithium. My doctor seems to think it will do me good, but I'm unsure if I want to take that step. Despite the danger & stress involved my manic episodes, it's also the time when I feel most creative & 'in touch' with the world. So I'm considering my options carefully right now.

Thanks again for the great documentary & for your courage in opening your personal life to the benefit of others.

Cheers

My journey, my story.....a blog of my ongoing struggle with mental illness.
When I'm down, I write. Find some of my scribblings on Scribd.
Find me on Twitter: @drac0z

mellbluemerle

Posted Mon Jan 16th, 2012 1:21am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Yes thanks too. Being a highly confused bisexual, with depression and other stuff I now realise I may have manic depression. Hey ho

Mell the blue merle

nanny rabbits

Posted Sat Jan 21st, 2012 11:48pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

i have had a great fondness for mr.fry since watching his television programme on the spectacled bears and thank him for the work he continues to do for them as well as for his heroic quest to remove stigma from mental illness. in my imagination i often picture him as a bear in shining-armour. narnia has a wise, just and noble lion and we have a wise, just and noble bear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i wrote the avboe on another thread before discovering there was a place here to say thank you

a little old granny who rescues bunnies

SusanX

Posted Tue Jan 31st, 2012 4:21pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Thank you, Stephen, for being such a kind and compassionate person. Although I don't get more depressed than the average person, The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive was really interesting and it helped me to underderstand those I know who have depressive illnesses. My heart goes out to anyone who has to go through this. I hope you can see your illness as something that is happening to you which deserves sympathy, and not as something to feel guilty about.

All the best with the recovery, Stephen, and thank you for all the happiness you have brought into my life.

Hugs...

MurderofRavensinFugue

Posted Mon Feb 6th, 2012 12:41am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

When I first saw the documentary, it was as though I could hear Michael Jackson singing "you are not alone". So many things fall into place.

stiofan

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2012 2:22pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Thank you Stephen for this heartfelt documentary which was broadcast here in Ireland recently. I've been high and low for 20 years now. Unfortunately I have gone untreated and been through my own personal hell of late.

On watching your documentary something awoke inside. I could relate to you so much. You have inspired me to finally get to grips with this condition.

From an Irish perspective you remind me of Oscar Wilde in every way but it is a quote from Yeats that sets the mood..

"Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame!"

Go raibh míle maith agat!

Stiofán

ArleneA

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2012 5:46pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I want to thank Stephen; and take him back a good few years too (!); I want to tell him how much laughter he brought me in my early teenage years whilst watching "Fry and Laurie" on television. Omg so so funny!!!!

I have always wondered how comedians managed to keep such straight faces; I would have been lying in a heap on the floor, a complete mess in floods of laughter

"This is me - don't try and change it..."

TheGirlAnachronism

Posted Mon May 28th, 2012 11:15am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Dear Mr. Fry,
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Through your documentary you have given me the best gift you can give anyone with a mental illness: the feeling that they are not alone. I'll admit, I've cried on more than one occasion watching you. They're not always sad tears though, they are sometimes tears of joy. Joy from knowing that people out there are feeling what I'm feeling, thinking what I'm thinking. When you talk about the voices in your head shouting about how worthless or horrible you are I can barely contain myself. When other people speak ill of you it hurts but it can never hurt you as much as it does when it's your own voice yelling insults. That inescapable voice that can't be squelched, echoing between your ears and drowning out any other thoughts you would hope to think. Anyways, I'm rambling. I know that I have to live with those voices but thanks to you I know that I don't have to let them defeat me. Thank you for giving me hope and the feeling that I am not alone.

Much love from Michigan,
Amber

stonefish78

Posted Thu Jun 7th, 2012 10:02pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I've just watched the documentary - it was a real eye opener and inspiring that you don't take medication for your condition. I didn't know there were 4million of us either!