Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

virgine

Posted Sun Sep 2nd, 2012 11:57pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Hello Mr. Fry and to all of other my peers in this sometimes difficult illnes. I am diagnosed BIPOLAR II, only at 40 (after a major depression), although I am suffering from it since my puberty. Being bipolar is difficult but has its good moments of which I am sometimes very grateful. I am currently taking a cocktail of 4 medicines ( which I will probably have to take for the rest of my life) = euthyrox for my thyroid, sipralexa = anti depressant, lambipol = mood stabilisor and abilify = anti manic. I have a great Psychiatrist. I live in Belgium and I am happy to recommend her. I am new on this forum. I saw the documentary, but is there any other reading material on this subject of the hand of Mr Fry. If so I am very eager to read this. Love to all of you out there, you are not alone since there are 4 million of us !!!

virgine

Posted Sun Sep 2nd, 2012 11:59pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

And thank you Mr Fry to take away the taboo on this subject.

usbusi

Posted Sat Dec 8th, 2012 8:18am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I would like to thank Stephen and the BBC for the excellent film, and for broadcasting it on Youtube.

An American who thought he might have been the reincarnation of Shakespeare during his first manic episode and Churchill during the second? The horrors. If you are interested in reading another first hand account of Bipolar Disorder I level mania, I have blogged my experiences at http://broadcastingtoheaven.blogspot.com , where I have also linked to Mr. Fry's film on Youtube.

Fassett

Posted Thu Mar 14th, 2013 8:32am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

I am not often inclined to do this sort of thing. It makes me feel ghastly and impudent.

Not a lot of people have helped me; even fewer whom I've never met. You have, and for that I owe a great personal debt I've no way of repaying.

All that I can really say, I guess, is this: when the low times are on you, know that somewhere in the middle of a desert is a young man who is thinking well of you - eager to see the work you do next, and edified in the knowledge that this thing we deal with can be overcome to some extent, and that not everyone thinks he's just nuts or insufferable.

And, of course, thank you.

Be well.
-F

tobbe56

Posted Mon Apr 8th, 2013 3:17pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

As the topic states, thank you mr. Fry for the work on behalf of psycich illness in general and bipolar condition in detail.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II for the last two years and though I am painfully aware of most matters in the documentary it was a great relief to have someone else explain the matter to family and close friends.

I´ve tried to start making people more aware of this condition and other psycich illnesses here in Sweden. Unfortunately the common man thinks that psychic illness = axemurderer that hears the voice of god.
Although I´ve yet to find a steady job at the age of 34 I try to follow your example and be open and educate as many as possible.

Once again, thank you mr. Fry

ManicTypist

Posted Sun Jun 9th, 2013 10:15am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

Thank you, Stephen ... for all you do.
Words can't express me gratitude enough.
After recently finding out that I am also bipolar, it has been comforting to at least know that I am not suffering alone and there is help out there. You have given me hope and strength.
Keep up the great work and never give up!

balangsen

Posted Wed Jun 26th, 2013 5:27am Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

My comment on the blog may be removed as it is silly..
I just wished to express my sincere thanks to Stephen for his courrage and work.

Also a response to the blogpost only the lonely.

O Captain, my Captain?
I know those feelings.

You have been an inspiration to me for years.
Not only the brilliance of your manic creativity, but also the depth of your sadness.
I probably delude myself into thinking that I can see parts of the real man behind your words.
But if even just parts of what I see is true, then you are still truely a man worth loving.
I read your words and I see a person still searching, still exploring.
It gives me hope.
Thank you for being my inspiration.
Thank you for being you.
Know that you are loved, Stephen.
No matter what.

-lonely Tempest

"If you never experience pain and loss, how will you be truely able to enjoy joy?"
Me-ism

Libra

Posted Mon Aug 19th, 2013 2:21pm Post subject: A Place to Express Thanks for Mr Fry's Work

It came to me in a sudden thought that TSLotMD had meant a lot to me and that I sincerely wanted to express that feeling. I have been in search of a way to send these words across and ended up on these forums. Another enlightment because I suddenly may have found a place to linger and read. Perhaps I'm just one out of many and what I have to say may get lost in the masses, but it's not holding me back. I feel they have to be expressed before it starts to consume my mind and thoughts.

About three years ago I was diagnosed Bipolar, something I took very lightly because I saw little harm in what was wrong. I knew my moodswings and I accepted what was said to me. A little research later I just went on with my life, without treatment and medication. Gradually over the years I began recognising the pattern of the ups and downs, their triggers and their signs. Still I didn't act, I stayed at home. Couldn't work due to the crippling effect of my depressions. Never have I been suicidal, never have I considered ending my life, and that's the part where I believed I could manage on my own.

Well, never alone. I have friends spread across the world thanks to my online activity. But they come and go, as my moods shift and change they fail to understand the changes I undergo. And I am helpless in explaining it, because -I- barely know how they work. (This looks like it will be a very long post already, sorry!)

My 5 year long relationship/engagement ended with the influence of my bipolarity which wasn't stable under the pressure of our problems. My daughter endured a stressful mother in episodes of mania and depression and now lives in fostercare of her father's parents where I visit her weekly and see her grow in a wonderful little girl.

Life has not helped me in keeping the moodswings in check, the loss of my father, the financial struggle, the loss of my home. I always crawl back and I pride myself in being a strong woman, but this strength I pull out of friends and those I can lean on. Because I can't lean on my family. My father's death left an even bigger space between me and them ontop of my illness. An illness they still see as "Just get over it" or "Stop being lazy" or "It's all in your head". Your cliche stigma and judgement. It gets tiresome and I gave up. I stopped trying to make them understand and see that I am -sick-

I just went on with a shrug, accepting that this is how it is. Thinking I fully understood it all. Half a blind eye to everything and move on. I was so wrong. Several weeks ago (or is it months? Currently fighting through a depressive-pole my memory is far from crisp) I was told about the documentary of you, Stephen Fry. Colour me ignorant but I had never heard the name, untill I saw a face and some bells rung in recognision. I've never been a really attentive media-follower to these things usually slip past me. Yet, here I was, friends of mine suggesting me I'd watch the documentary and for the -first- time in all these years I felt understood, I felt recognision and understanding.

I used the documentary to reach out to my family once more, I sent my (step)mother a message to please have a look because even I learned from it still despite being the one who lives with the illness. And FINALLY she understood. She saw at good last the depth of my illness and what it means. You, Stephen, you made it possible for me to reach out to the family again I so direly need in my support. I'm not there yet, there are many more whom don't talk to me or don't look at me to offer a helping hand. But my mother and siblings are gradually a part of my life again.

Leading up to today, I have expanded my study of my condition. My very fresh and blooming romantic relationship has brought me a man with patience and understanding of who I am and what this may mean in certain things. For the first time I feel myself, I don't have to hide behind pretending and I'm allowed to have "my moments", sometimes I of course wish that he wouldn't need to endure these lapses of silence and emotional distress. But he puts up with it, and with that earns my growing affection daily for being who he is. To the extend that he bought a book "The bipolar disorder, a survival guide" which I in turn am reading right now.

My eyes are opening, there is much more for me to learn. Much more to understand. And it started with the documentary. Thank you, thank you for everything. Perhaps half of what I wrote wasn't called for and complete waste of time but I had to get it off my chest. I'm trying to find a way into steady therapy and perhaps begin my search to medication I would benefit from. Sadly the financial situation I am stuck in is the result of my lack of motivation. Step by step I suppose. It's a scary thing to step out of this "routine" I have created for myself while I sat at home and try something different, it makes me so anxious and scared. But at the same time I guess there is a little hope that I -will- find a way.

And that hope comes from being understood. From recognision in others, in you. It was what I needed, to not feel alone in this as I have for the past years. Thank you. I admire who you are, and the struggles you've overcome, or still struggle with, I look up to you for opening the eyes of many to an illness that plagues the mind yet doesn't get overall recognision. I could keep going, the words of those before me would be repeated over and over.

And before this turns into a complete endless rant, I'll bow out in the hope I've expressed myself clearly enough to convey what I wished to tell you.

You gained an admiring fan, Stephen Fry.