Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Mon Dec 15th, 2008 6:26pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
A rat with Norwegian ancestry, according to experts, is chiseling away at some interior part of my house.

It's immune to my banging on the wall and now I think is only encouraged by it.

It really started driving me batty last night. I kept thinking of the Tell-Tale Heart.

I've decided the only thing that will bring us both any peace, is to set a trap that will break his damned neck.

( my apologies to anyone who thinks i'm being unreasonable )...please pick up a complaint form at the front office and drop it in the appropriate box.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Dec 15th, 2008 10:44pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Had a little grass snake in my house last night, it kept getting away from me, finally got it this morning. There's a solution, get a snake X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Mon Dec 15th, 2008 10:47pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Had a little grass snake in my house last night, it kept getting away from me, finally got it this morning. There's a solution, get a snake X-D

What'd you do with the snake??? poor guy. or girl. or intersexed snake.

(i don't want to make the snake feel like they have to fit in a little box...even though they DO fit in a little shoebox that takes them back outside somewhere....:D )

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 8:38am Post subject: A Rat In The House
1st time i had a rat in a house used poison and it died in the wall...2nd time i had pets so i let it live until i moved out (only 2 weeks)

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Nitro

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 12:43pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
The trap was set yesterday and I haven't heard any gnawing - woo hoo!

I don't like poison either, for the reasons of having a pet and also that worry of the rat dieing in the wall. A smelly carcass stuck in there would present a whole new set of problems. I think a quick snap is more humane than poison anyway, ( not that I'm trying to be humane ), so hopefully the rat met his/her end last night.

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 1:04pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Rat poison: I am very strongly against it's use. The commonest type here appears to be Warfarin based; it acts to thin the blood down to the point where the rat haemorrhages to death.

I watched my father die as result of stupidly trying to balance Warfarin used as medication with alcohol. It was simply the worst night of my life and I tell you all now, no animal in the world deserves to go that way. It is appallingly slow, it is agony, real agony, the sort that torturers around the world aim for when looking for an answer.

Whatever any of you do, don't use poison, use a trap or wait by a hole with a lump hammer, but really, seriously, don't use poison unless you are a sadist.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 1:17pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
I'd use a live-catch trap.

Veg Chick

Posted Wed Dec 17th, 2008 12:28am Post subject: A Rat In The House
I've got to expand a little on this thread. With:

Rats a contridiction!

Thanks to the cold weather I have got a major problem with wild rats harrassing my chickens and stealing all of their food. One of my guinea pigs is even missing a chunk out of her nose because she dared to stand up to one. This leaves me no choice but to kill them.

The contradiction. Firstly I don't belive in killing animals but for the protection of my own what can I do??? Wait until they kill the chickens and just to continue feeding the rats. Secondly rats are incredibly smart animals and make fantastic pets (I'm not suggesting anyone should befriend a wild one mind you X-D ) and I have a pet rat. One ironically I think I am going to have to have put to sleep as she is incredibly ill, and very old.

How can I justify a warm cosy, and some what decadent lifestyle to one rat and a death scentance to one that is just doing it's best to survive. Help!!!!!

I am nothing

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Dec 17th, 2008 12:58am Post subject: A Rat In The House

What'd you do with the snake??? poor guy. or girl. or intersexed snake.

(i don't want to make the snake feel like they have to fit in a little box...even though they DO fit in a little shoebox that takes them back outside somewhere....:D )

I put it outside.....where a hawk probably snatched it up and made a meal of it.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Wed Dec 17th, 2008 12:19pm Post subject: A Rat In The House

I put it outside.....where a hawk probably snatched it up and made a meal of it.

X-D

Veg chick, my personal ethics about wildlife are fairly basic. So long as a creature of any species is not doing me and mine harm, they're free to carry on. Crossing that line requires me to defend my home. It's fairly rare that I have to do that and in fact, I'd say most things remain living around my property that my neighbors wouldn't tolerate as well X-D I don't allow spiders, for instance, inside my house but they're free to wander the front porch, spin webs all over my garden and decks and pond etc. I go out of my way to 'do no harm to any living thing' so long as it is reasonable to do so. This rat is a rare case, but he's doing damage to my home and poses a health threat to me and my pup. It's right around this point I feel no guilt whatsoever taking him out for good.

But this is a smart one. He's managed to steal the bat without tripping the trap X-D

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Dec 17th, 2008 6:08pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
yeah i know poison is not ideal...we once had a cat that ate a poisoned mouse outside and goodbye cat.

the poison was the last option after several things didn't work.

tried plugging the way in from outside but he was sneaking through on the water pipes.

tried snap traps but to no avail apparently he had seen them before.

when we tried several things and ran out of options he got poisoned...as for the dying in the wall bit...strangely enough we didn't smell him but he technically died in a storage space for the apartment complex so i guess it wasn't really my wall.

i was glad he died in the storage space even if it meant he suffered b/c i would have hated to find one of the neighborhood stray cats had passed as well...though the bloody things are starving so you'd think we wouldn't have a rat problem.

oh well...long over with by now.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Veg Chick

Posted Wed Dec 17th, 2008 10:55pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Thanks Nitro

You are right I have to protect my little ones first. This has included reinforcing the chicken coop. Fingers crossed this puts them off a little. I hate spiders, but i hate to squash them even more. My husband has to take them out side to a nice shed or something

Like the idea of the snake. Unfrotunatly mine is still lodging with a friend while we sort the house out (renovations). I don't think she would appriciate the cold weather, she is a more heat lamp and dead rat girl. She is a beautiful boa.

I am nothing

joan

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 8:04am Post subject: A Rat In The House
We recently had a period of very heavy rains here in the subtropics, which flushed out all the storm drains, and, I suspect, a fair few rodents who lived in them.

Anyway, our previously lazy easy-going well-fed cat suddenly took up ratting and mousing outside, bringing in his 'kill' for me. All the rodents were dead, but i couldn't see a mark on them - they'd either died of fright at the sight of Mao the mouser in hunting mode, or he'd just broken their necks.

So, it seems to me that death by cat is quite quick. Now that we are back in dry and very hot weather, Mao is taking a recess, but a storm is predicted tonight......

Veg Chick

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 11:15pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Could I borrow Mao the mouser??!!

Well one rat gone, NUTS, it's my pampered rodent Poor little thing, she was very old and very i'll.

Wild rats were back today and simply saw the reinforced chicken coop as a challange. They were in by lunch time. Can't help but be a little bit impressed by thier abilities. Clever little sods!

I am nothing

Desdemona

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 12:50am Post subject: A Rat In The House
Get a farm cat, i had one, she used to kill everything from rats to birds, and only left the livers and tails for us to clean up in the morning (she'd eat the rest).
Or you couyld get a trained terrier who kills rats, you can get ones like that i think...

Skip Life and come with me?