Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

joan

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 1:41am Post subject: A Rat In The House
It's true, there are trained canine ratters. We once had a Cairn terrier who was trained as a ratter, when I was little. She was an ex farm dog. As kids we'd get a bit of rag and call our "Rats, Corrie" and she'd jump up and 'kill' the rag. They kill rats by breaking their neck - just one smooth action - grab the rat in its teeth, break the neck with a quick jerk, and chuck the rat over its shoulder.

To do a chicken run a rat catcher and his dogs will move the chickens, put a wire fence round the whole run, and put the dogs in.

No more rats (except a lot of dead ones)

Nitro

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 1:47am Post subject: A Rat In The House
Get a farm cat? Good gods, I am surrounded by farms and woods! X-D I don't even have street lights here on the one paved road near my house. I love it because on a clear, night sky it's all glittering stars and Q-U-I-E-T. On foggy nights, the perfect setting for a good, scary movie.

Wandering cats a-plenty and they're all fairly useless X-D I'd love to be proven wrong about that though. There's such a variety of other things...rabbits, birds..for them to go for that haunting around a house with a dog ( mine ) who has nothing but contempt for cats, is probably not very appealing to them.

Three times Herr Rat has swiped bait and managed not to pay with his life. But, the last couple of nights have been quiet ( knock on wood, for whatever that's worth ).

I'd be OK with the gnawing to stop and never, ever know what become of him

Really? Wow.

Corona

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 1:24pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Rats are clever. They learn things. What if you put food down for them everyday and move it further every day until they do not bother you? Is there wire fencing for your chickens. Can you make it electrified like a catle fence? You would not like it either if you bit a thing like that.

Jarus

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 2:54pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
It's true, there are trained canine ratters. We once had a Cairn terrier who was trained as a ratter, when I was little. She was an ex farm dog. As kids we'd get a bit of rag and call our "Rats, Corrie" and she'd jump up and 'kill' the rag. They kill rats by breaking their neck - just one smooth action - grab the rat in its teeth, break the neck with a quick jerk, and chuck the rat over its shoulder.

To do a chicken run a rat catcher and his dogs will move the chickens, put a wire fence round the whole run, and put the dogs in.

No more rats (except a lot of dead ones)

I remember there was a scene in Martin Clunes documentary 'A Man and His Dogs' where he went to someones barn that was infested with rats. The rat catcher simply let them off their leads and as soon as the hay bales were lifted all hell broke loose with three terriers and dozens of rats. It was brutal. but efficient as all the rats were dead in just a few minutes and oddly the terriers didn't seem at all interested in the bodies.

Nitro

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 3:28pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
My little friend has terrier blood, but not sure he's considered a true 'ratter' as he's a mini-schnauzer. I'm certain if he could get to the fribbin' rat he'd give it holy hell, but he can't due to the structure around the rats fave spot. Also, I don't let my dog run wild or take him out off leash. He's little but faster than greased lightening and has a propensity for taking off after birds. Never catches them of course but I think part of the fun for him is knowing I'll look the bleeting idiot yelling and running up after him.

Quiet again last night. Haven't checked the trap yet today but if I find a body, ya'll will be the first 'uns tuh know 'bout it

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 1:00pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
I think Corona's practicality is worth looking at. Low voltage 'lectrickery should sort the little darlings with no lasting harm.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Cheesepanini

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 6:54pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
I found a dead rat out by my compost bins a few weeks ago, then another when I was sorting out my log pile last week. Turns out my next door neighbour (with two dogs either side of him) has been putting down poison without mentioning it to anyone else. Deep breaths!

I'd usually go for humane traps when it's a plausible option. On the other hand, the troupe of bunnies that arrived in the village this spring and decimated my garden nearly ended up with a contract on their heads. The neighbours were treated to me flinging open the front door and greeting the morning on several occasions with

"Get off my ranunculus, you bastard rodents!"

Son refused to countenance eating them so they got off.

Veg Chick

Posted Sun Dec 21st, 2008 1:04am Post subject: A Rat In The House
The trained Terrier sounds a good idea, I saw the Martin Clunes programme and remember thinking how efficient the ratters were.

Alas the rats are still winning, they have out witted our attempts to keep them away from the chickens and have infiltrated our defences.

We can't have a cat because of the 101 other furries that live with us which have the potential to become feline food. And we have a main road in front of the house, seen a few cats lose a fight with a car there

Thinking of electrifying the garden!! But I am not so good with electrics.....

Can't help but have utter respect for them though, but I think they are just too smart for their own good!! Starting to get a Tom & Jerry type feel to proceedings, can't help but feel the rats are enjoying our feble attempts to out smart them!

I am nothing

Maxx England

Posted Tue Dec 23rd, 2008 1:23pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Get thee to an aggie shop, they'll have lecky stuff that will do the job safely. 240v up yer sleeve does tend to be unhealthy.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

joan

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 7:44am Post subject: A Rat In The House
My cat Mao is very sick now -one of the rats he had a taste of must have been poisoned. He's been to the vet and had treatment, but is a very sick, frail little moggy.

He just lies around and won't eat - he just drinks a little water and a mouthful of milk. He's gone down from 6kg to 4.2kg.

Bloody rats and bloody rat poisoners!

joan

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 2:47am Post subject: A Rat In The House
Boxing day - we had him put to sleep this morning - he was our favourite ever cat. Goodbye Mao.

Veg Chick

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 5:32am Post subject: A Rat In The House
Really sorry to hear about Mao It's always horrible to lose pets, but it is worst at Christmas.

I am nothing

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 9:11am Post subject: A Rat In The House
sorry to hear about Mao!

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Jarus

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 11:17am Post subject: A Rat In The House
Boxing day - we had him put to sleep this morning - he was our favourite ever cat. Goodbye Mao.

Sorry about Mao, nasty things really shouldn't be allowed to happen at Christmas.

Nitro

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 1:01pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Sorry to hear about Mao.

Really? Wow.