Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 1:54pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
I'm so sorry to hear about Mao It's always sad to lose a pet, and judging from how you described him he must have been a wonderful cat.

joan

Posted Sat Dec 27th, 2008 10:06pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Thanks everyone. We did the right thing, but still feel sad. The vet was lovely - she let us stroke him while he quietly died from the needle. Terry, my husband, who has bad knees could hardly walk, so I went to the desk to pay, but she wouldn't take any payment.

Corona

Posted Fri Jan 9th, 2009 4:59pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
Have the rats gone yet Nitro?

PamJH

Posted Fri Jan 9th, 2009 10:45pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
It's true, there are trained canine ratters. We once had a Cairn terrier who was trained as a ratter, when I was little. She was an ex farm dog. As kids we'd get a bit of rag and call our "Rats, Corrie" and she'd jump up and 'kill' the rag. They kill rats by breaking their neck - just one smooth action - grab the rat in its teeth, break the neck with a quick jerk, and chuck the rat over its shoulder.

You're right about canine ratters. I had a terrific mutt that spent all her days snapping rats' necks. She'd stake herself out near the granary and when they'd emerge from underneath it, she'd grab them. Quicker than any cat, she was. I loved that dog.

Occy

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 12:47am Post subject: A Rat In The House
touch wood worst Ive had here is a dead mouse. No idea how it ided - I was cleaning, moved a curtain and the bastard was there frozen stiff. Now I imagine one of three things happened.

1. It died of shock - it probably came in to get at the bird seed - didn't expect three german shepherds
2. One of the dogs killed it. Possibly Billie or Cappy - Flash is way too benevolent to worry - mouse probably ran over him several times
3. Bird killed it - Indian Ring Neck - vicious bastard

I don't use poisons - I don't generally allow my animals to hunt either - never know who poisoned the mouse/rat before hand.

Worse is the spiders and snakes. I've not yet had a snake - touch wood - but as we all know the worlds deadliest snakes and spiders live here - another reason to move.

I've had red backs, funnel webs and huntsmen - funnel web this year was my first and scared the bejesus out of me - inset spray and a shoe took care of him, but he was big enough so I could see his sinister glare when I walked into the room.

I love animals, however I believe anything with 8 legs is unnatural :p

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 3:58am Post subject: A Rat In The House
Well...my suspicions that there's been a lone rat gnawing away at my homes insides is perhaps proving to be a faulty idea. A rat trap was set with peanut butter and curiously turned up empty of a rat but also empty of the peanut butter. So, I turned to mouse traps instead, ( just in case ), and set three w/ p.b.

Bingo! Two traps were tripped with mices Removed from traps and their tiny bodies tossed, believe it or not, with some sympathy but also hope their deaths might feed some other creature(s) into the field outside of my home..

Since then, there's been no gnawing. But, ( excuse my metaphor ), I'm treating my abode like Gaza and launching a 'shock and awe' assault for another couple of weeks.

I would generally never do any of this because I'm a terribly sentimental sap about Life and living things, however they were going after wiring and such would could result in damages and expenses I selfishly do not wish to incur.

One final little mystery though: I reset the traps and later found two had the p.b. neatly cleaned away without tripping them. Hmm...perhaps there still is a rat about and he's a smart lil' bastard.

Really? Wow.

Occy

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 4:16am Post subject: A Rat In The House
That or a racoon

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 4:52am Post subject: A Rat In The House
That or a racoon

We don't have many racoons wandering in this area. Also, I believe the space between the walls is too small.

But, yeah, racoons are very smart. It's incredible some of the things they can figure out to get at something they want X-D

Really? Wow.

Jarus

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 2:23pm Post subject: A Rat In The House

I love animals, however I believe anything with 8 legs is unnatural :p

I'm exactly the same and thats with the decidedely non-fatal spiders we get over here. Still at least I've progressed from screaming and not entering that room for a few days, to manfully dispatching them with a shoe. X-D

Maxx England

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 3:19pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
I believe anything with 8 legs is unnatural :p

Ah! So that's what you've got against rock bands!

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Occy

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 9:22am Post subject: A Rat In The House
No No - that's why I keep emptying cans of Mortein all over Boybands!

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jan 13th, 2009 1:36pm Post subject: A Rat In The House
I don't care how bad my back is, I'll give you a hand with lifting the cans, bigger the better

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?