Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MaryK

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 7:17pm Post subject: A second look at episode two....
I have just got through a documentary on slavery in Virginia, how it evolved from a few farms near Williamsburg into an ethically sordid monstrosity that covered most of the South by 1860 and threatened to expand into the West. It made me remember Episode two, when Stephen is in the South celebrating Thanksgiving.

If memory serves, where he is celebrating Thanksgiving looks an awful lot like an antebellum type house: a plantation in other words. A part of me has been milling over the thought that maybe picking that place wasn't exactly ethically sound because of it background. Beautiful scenery, yes, but is celebrating a feast that gives thanks to God (which Stephen doesn't believe in) on land that was the site of so much torment a good idea in hindsight?

What does everyone else think?

PS-Hooray for me!! I finally came up with a post that wasn't nine miles long!!

michael

Posted Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 7:46pm Post subject: A second look at episode two....
I have just got through a documentary on slavery in Virginia, how it evolved from a few farms near Williamsburg into an ethically sordid monstrosity that covered most of the South by 1860 and threatened to expand into the West. It made me remember Episode two, when Stephen is in the South celebrating Thanksgiving.

If memory serves, where he is celebrating Thanksgiving looks an awful lot like an antebellum type house: a plantation in other words. A part of me has been milling over the thought that maybe picking that place wasn't exactly ethically sound because of it background. Beautiful scenery, yes, but is celebrating a feast that gives thanks to God (which Stephen doesn't believe in) on land that was the site of so much torment a good idea in hindsight?

if you know of some inch of ground on this earth that's not soaked with the blood of some sort of wrong doing, do let us know. i don't know of any, myself.

i don't mean to sound like a cynic or a pessimist, just the way history goes.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Apr 24th, 2009 12:43am Post subject: A second look at episode two....

Ethically sound... those are strong words, makes me wonder where you're really going with this. How do you present a program about America without presenting some history along the way? I think you should read the accompanying book to the series if you need that much clarification. "Historic Savannah" and "Thanksgiving at Blackwater" are the segments. Also, the Introduction from the book is here:
http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/2008/10/10/stephen-fry-in-america/

NB
Antebellum is the period, the styles are Federal, Greek Revival, and Classical Revival and these were not exclusive to the pre-Civil War era South.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Fri Apr 24th, 2009 6:58pm Post subject: A second look at episode two....

if you know of some inch of ground on this earth that's not soaked with the blood of some sort of wrong doing, do let us know. i don't know of any, myself.

i don't mean to sound like a cynic or a pessimist, just the way history goes.

or maybe i am in the middle of a warped up black mood! sorry

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

PamJH

Posted Fri Apr 24th, 2009 9:47pm Post subject: A second look at episode two....
Every town and city and state in this nation of ours has some sordid little secret it would like to forget. I doubt the crew behind the show had the time to investigate everything right down to the last detail. And who knows (I haven't seen the book or the shows) if the people who owned that house during the war years opposed slavery or not?

Stephen's celebrating a Thanksgiving dinner in such a place doesn't bother me any more than if he were hosting a women's rights seminar at the B&B in my town which used to be a house of ill repute. I think we can go a bit far with all this political correctness.

alan_koifman

Posted Mon Jul 20th, 2009 9:30pm Post subject: A second look at episode two....
hmmm.....

gjhsu

Posted Mon Jul 20th, 2009 9:55pm Post subject: A second look at episode two....

I think you're thinking too much into something that's not there (intentionally or not). I agree with michael in that any place will have some sort of wrong-doing associated with it. As for the type of houses, that's what they have over there, in terms of design. Flat, wide homes. And I think that's just where the filming schedule took him to, and he managed to find a family willing to let him celebrate with them (hell, I would have, had Stephen come near here at the time!).

I wouldn't let issues like this bother you, unless they were still practicing slavery, or sacrificing lambs, etc.