Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

fryfan20

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 4:58pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
Stephen fry has certainly a lot of gadgets

I want to say something about E-books, I don't have a E-book reader nor do I want one. I have nothing against it, if anyone else wants to that's fine with my.
but I want to hold a book, turn every page and smell that typical book smell. that is part of the joy of reading to my. I think that real books will never be replaced by the electronic ones (I certainly hope the are not).

I am what I am

AHisme

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 5:33pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
The casio exilim camera is a not very good camera either.
Ever since I got it, the battery wasn't good, and now the battery house thingy is messed up. Not to mention my particular camera has only x3 zoom.

wooden_elf

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 8:11pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
Stephen fry has certainly a lot of gadgets

I want to say something about E-books, I don't have a E-book reader nor do I want one. I have nothing against it, if anyone else wants to that's fine with my.
but I want to hold a book, turn every page and smell that typical book smell. that is part of the joy of reading to my. I think that real books will never be replaced by the electronic ones (I certainly hope the are not).

I agree with you. I want to feel it. Besides my eyes start to hurt if I read it too long. But I can understand why he doesn't bring real books.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 8:22pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
I also prefer the real thing, but on a lengthy trip like this his various e-book readers enable him to carry with him literally whole libraries and still travel light.

wooden_elf

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 8:36pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
I also prefer the real thing, but on a lengthy trip like this his various e-book readers enable him to carry with him literally whole libraries and still travel light.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

fryfan20

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 9:26pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
I do understand why he is taking E-books with him, books are heavy.
I just can't see myself staring at a screen and read a book but I am also not someone who would go travel for a couple months.

I am what I am

gadgetgirl

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 10:14pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
I've got an e-ink device and it's very easy on the eye, but very slow to refresh the page. I'm torn on this issue. I love the fact that I can throw in a device to my bag that has over 60 books in it, and space for a lot more. But I do also love real books - the smell and feel of them, and they don't need batteries!

That would be me.

wooden_elf

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 10:24pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
and they don't need batteries!

LOL That is true. And there is something "down-to-earth" with books. You can always count on them even if your batteries have run out. And you can write little notes in them. Marking out pieces you love and think are memorable.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 10:59pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
At the end of the day real books will win out simply because of the pleasure factor. Reading on a screen will never be preferable to reading from paper. But on the otherhand the e-books are good for storing lots of books without the bulk and weight if you're going travelling. If I was going travelling for a long time I'd want a good selection of books and an e-book would be perfect for that. But then there is the issue of power and batteries...

Assuming direct control...

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 11:06pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
When I travel I download audio books to my ipod to keep things light. Plus when I am away from home I often have difficulty sleeping so a soothing narration helps me to zone out. Or instead of narration a book that I have little interest in helps me to fall asleep.

There is a fabulous gentleman on itunes who reads a lot of the classics aloud in podcast form and he is just fantastic. Does voices and the whole bit. Just search for classic tales and I believe its one of the few podcasts listed.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

wooden_elf

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 11:13pm Post subject: A suitcase of cables
When I travel I download audio books to my ipod to keep things light. Plus when I am away from home I often have difficulty sleeping so a soothing narration helps me to zone out. Or instead of narration a book that I have little interest in helps me to fall asleep.

There is a fabulous gentleman on itunes who reads a lot of the classics aloud in podcast form and he is just fantastic. Does voices and the whole bit. Just search for classic tales and I believe its one of the few podcasts listed.

I agree!! I usually download podcasts and audiobooks when I travel and when I'm not at home. I always listen to Moab is my Washpot when I'm going to sleep. Stephen has such a marvellous voice.