Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Tea-beaux

Posted Sun Mar 11th, 2007 9:01pm Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
Just popped round to see if anyone here knows whether any undergraduate, academic researcher or indeed metalworker has ever chosen the Hunk of Fry’s writings as the subject for their dissertation/thesis/research programme. If so, I humbly command you to send me an virtual carrier pigeon, preferably with an email attached containing an author, title, name of the author's carrier pigeon or anything else you might think could be helpful.

“Helpful for what” I think you hearing. Well, I am an undergraduate at the University of Ghent (a small canal city in the heart of little Flanders, just east of little Bruges and West of little Brussels) and would like to write my dissertation on gender/queer theory and the liar (or something in that direction). I have already more than canoodled with my lecturer in order to get permission so all I need now is everything that’s ever been done on el Stephen’s scribblings.

If you can help me, dear reader, I’d be truly grateful.

Maniac

Posted Sun Mar 11th, 2007 9:53pm Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
weird lol

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 11th, 2007 10:01pm Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
Can't say I've heard of any such research projects. It's been a while since I've been in tight contact with the uni scene; then again, even while I was there I wasn't au courrant with the gender issues department.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 8:37am Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
I would have thought that "Paperweight" would be a remarkable source of examples for students of the English Language and Philology. Certainly I hope to refer to parts of it for my own academic studies.

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 2:53pm Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
I would have thought that "Paperweight" would be a remarkable source of examples for students of the English Language and Philology. Certainly I hope to refer to parts of it for my own academic studies.

What degree are you working towards?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 3:05pm Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
Oh dear, I'm afraid I've given rather a false impression of myself. I was an extremely lazy student who got expelled by a private school just before my GCSEs (which they were gracious enough to allow me to take). I then went on to Croydon College, where many young Croydonians wasted 2 years avoiding proper jobs, and passed only my French A level with the lowest possible score. Since then I have spent 7 years of my life in a tiresome civil service job, 2 years in various positions including pub barman, gay nightclub barman, Parcel Force depot assistant and House of Commons night shift cleaner. I was fortunate in 1999 to be given a job by a friend as an activities leader in a language school summer camp, whereafter I scrimped and saved to pay for a TEFL course. I hope I do not flatter myself when I say that for the past 7 years I have done that job to the best of my abilities and even helped a number of foreigners to pass their exams. However, I now live in Poland where even a dustman has a degree, and so my wife has persuaded me to take an English Language A level with a view to entering a Polish university. Otherwise I may find I have a rather limited future.
Strangely though, no-one ever noticed until I told them that I had never been to university. In fact I once helped a Polish girl in Wimbledon with her research into a thesis on Oscar Wilde by telling her everything I knew about 19th century genres of fiction - all of which I had gleaned second hand from an ex-girlfriend who had been at Oxford while we were dating.

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 11:13pm Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
Well, sounds like an interesting life, in any case.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 2:40pm Post subject: Academic writing on Stephen Fry
Well, sounds like an interesting life, in any case.

For me, it certainly has been and I think that's all that matters, don't you? I wouldn't consider boring anyone with a book about it. I'd love to know more about you and the other forum users, though.