Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

lol8ta_120

Posted Sat Apr 10th, 2010 4:37am Post subject: Ahem

There once were some men from some poet.
They thought they could teach her to know it.
They hacked, and they grinned,
And they bent themselves in,
But all they could do was, well,

Slow it.

I no longer believe that we can keep silent. We never really do, mind you. In one way or another, we articulate what has happened to us through the kind of people we become.
---Azar Nafisi

Ambrosia

Posted Sun Apr 11th, 2010 10:44am Post subject: Ahem

Fabulous - I love limericks, lol8ta! Shall we do a whole limerick thread? There are lots of talented writers and poets on here.

A man robbed a bank with a bun
That he'd moulded to look like a gun
When refused by the teller
He shot at the fella
But stray crumbs also took out a nun

Tragic - she'd only gone in for some dough.

tito

Member *

Posted Sun Apr 11th, 2010 1:01pm Post subject: Ahem

lol8ta_120

Posted Sun Apr 11th, 2010 3:07pm Post subject: Ahem

Ambrosia said:
Fabulous - I love limericks, lol8ta! Shall we do a whole limerick thread? There are lots of talented writers and poets on here.

A man robbed a bank with a bun
That he'd moulded to look like a gun
When refused by the teller
He shot at the fella
But stray crumbs also took out a nun

Tragic - she'd only gone in for some dough.

I hope she wasn't part of the obesity epidemic! That one rocked. I'd love to see an outpouring of limericks; I think that's the only one I've ever made.

I no longer believe that we can keep silent. We never really do, mind you. In one way or another, we articulate what has happened to us through the kind of people we become.
---Azar Nafisi

lol8ta_120

Posted Mon Apr 12th, 2010 3:03am Post subject: Ahem

Ok, this is for you, Ambrosia, and for the revival of the limerick on this forum. Tomorrow is Monday and this weekend was supposed to be about healing, so I hope I can get over this topic soon. Here it is, the shiny new song to that master comedian, M.Poll.

-----------------Ode to Michael Pollan------------------------------

He is so most-various and sundry,
I suspect he may be a bun-b'ry.
His jumbled-up stuff
Makes me sore and rough.
I wish he would go; leave my country.

His musings are soppish and grim.
Unseams himself 'long his own hem.
With humph and a haw,
'We've all got a flaw':
Um, I think he needs nip and some trim.

His mind's such a meaningless mumble.
I'll watch him cavort, then he'll stumble.
I wish he'd get help.
I wish he'd eat kelp.
The brain food's a mighty good crumble.

I'll assume it needs only one flake
To undo a most promising take.
His videos weird
Are stewed and then seared
By the sun of his glorious bake.

Oh Pollan, oh Pollan, wherefore art
Thou Pollan? How you slump, whiffle fart!
You're breaking my heart!
Just jump in a cart!

Sigh.
My limerick's just lost its dart.

---Azar Nafisi

Ambrosia

Posted Mon Apr 12th, 2010 6:36am Post subject: Ahem

Wow, that is absolutely brilliant, lol8ta, you've taken the limerick to a whole new level!! Who's Michael Pollan? I don't know of him.

I'll add to this thread later today. I have to get ready for work now. Just going back after a fortnight's holiday and I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

lol8ta_120

Posted Mon Apr 12th, 2010 5:58pm Post subject: Ahem

Before I get started on Pollan, I found something of yours about human beans on that Nitro thread, I think. That's amazing.

Michael Pollan is a purveyor of stale trifle, a food writer, mostly, and professor of journalism in California. I think the NYT magazine finds him quite respectable. He sells books too. I think he's maybe a big influence on our public television crowd. He really upset some Americans (mostly women, I think) with an article last summer, titled Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch.
He set out to show us "The Courage to Flip. " Too many American feminists, he concluded, killed cooking as we know it, and they need to understand that although what he labels 'work' can be 'oppressive,' it might be right for thinking people to take it up for the personal fulfillment.
Only it's really not oppression (he uses the word repeatedly), people just think it is, because the Feminine Mystique apparently brainwashed us. Well, don't worry, cooking's creative too, it seems. It only "could be" oppressive. Drudgery is another of the words he chooses. But it's Betty Friedan's fault.
Yes, oppressive. Never boring or impossible, like the words some people consign to the page. I really got a little lost, but it seems he's really into the 'work' of cooking.
Pollan is alarmed by television too--they publish him on the net but I'm not sure he has a computer himself. And, well, he's really quite a moral man; he doesn't approve of conspicuous consumption. It's a crying shame.
He got my goat too.
I think I posted something about his lardy prose down in the rant section; I decided to mourn the passing of the brilliant American Dixie Carter by indulging in a little mock-crit.

Hope you're having a decent day.

---Azar Nafisi

Nitro

Posted Mon Apr 12th, 2010 6:39pm Post subject: Ahem

I'm going to blart out, based on lol8ta's description of Pollan, that's he's just another pseudo-intellectual gnat with a tiny pri-...erm...banana

Am enjoying the limericks a lot! As I have no talent, I will need to make a dash into town to buy some. When I return, I'll try to vomit some of it up in limerick form. Which will likely explode my brain, ( what's left of it).

Really? Wow.

tito

Member *

Posted Mon Apr 12th, 2010 7:02pm Post subject: Ahem

I'm upgrading to cardboard (brain). Do you want my old paper one?

Ambrosia

Posted Mon Apr 12th, 2010 7:53pm Post subject: Ahem

Pollan sounds like a twerp. Course, what we should all do is step back in time to the 1950s and put a pinny on, then we won't need brains at all - just think of the monetary saving!

Ambrosia

Posted Mon Apr 12th, 2010 9:20pm Post subject: Ahem

I was going to add another limerick, but I feel a bit tired so here's a non-limerick...

Work is a bit overrated
I'm knackered and under-inflated
My words are just bunk
Though I've thunk, it's all junk
And nothing is rhyming or scanning...

Sorry, I'll try again tomorrow, lol.

Ambrosia

Posted Wed Apr 14th, 2010 9:04pm Post subject: Ahem

A late parrot or just sleeping?

Here lies the thread that I killed
With sadness and tears I am filled
Cos my doggerel barked