Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gretsteff

Posted Tue Dec 27th, 2011 10:24pm Post subject: Ahh...The Deep South

I also recently watched the Stephen Fry in America series on Netflix and was immediately hooked. I would have like to seen a little more of my home state of North Carolina. While the balloon ride over the mountains was lovely it left the majority of the state out completely. Things like the Biltmore House, The Outer Banks with the beauty of the lighthouses, the Shackleford ponies and Kitty Hawk where the Wright Brothers first flew I believe would be of interest to others not familiar with NC. I feel the same way about the visit to South Carolina which showed none of Charleston and Georgia where the beauty of Savannah was missed. Of course I do realize that there were key areas of many states missed and that time restraints would be an issue; however, I do feel that North Carolina has so much to offer and was practically skimmed over.

Nitro

Posted Tue Feb 21st, 2012 7:05am Post subject: Ahh...The Deep South

I agree completely!! Your great state is one of the most beautiful in our country I've ever seen. It's like the southeastern version of California in its glory days...minus the deserts of Palm Springs

An ocean with world class fishing on one side of the state and the beautiful old mountains of the Blue Ridge on the other. It's really gorgeous!!

NC's downside right now, imho, is its dour political climate of fundamentalist political backlash going on ( e.g. the recent law to ban gay marriages not just now, but forever and ever within the state, does not make it exactly gay friendly, and Mr.Fry is, after all, gay LOL ) and that the KKK's membership base is highly populated by Carolina bred and borns. These sorts of political things do, imho, make the idea of living in your state very off-putting because while htere's all this rich history and clean Nature, there are ugly, violent minded people trying to run its citizens straight back to 1832 I hope those of you who are more even minded can appeal to the native Carolinians to set isolationist thinking behind them. It would make the state that much more beautiful, don't you?

Really? Wow.

lissamor7

Posted Sun Jun 10th, 2012 4:11pm Post subject: Ahh...The Deep South

2 posts, one for NC and one for SC.

~Melissa in SC, USA

lissamor7

Posted Sun Jun 10th, 2012 4:13pm Post subject: Ahh...The Deep South

Great! Already a thread for the Carolinas. I just finished the series and loved it, was doing a marathon like with Mad Men and the others. I've never heard of SF until now. I was born in the "upstate" of SC and lived on a farm. My dad is a far left reaching thinker and when I was 14 he moved our family to Boston to be closer to the Kennedy's. By the time I was in my early 20's I had to go back, as my roots were pulling me to go home. Now I live in Charleston.

The US disgusts me most of the time, b/c of our behaviors, especially SC. But I stay here anyway because once Charleston gets into your system it's hard to leave it behind. When people ask me, where are you from? I always hesitate because I'm embarrassed to say SC. But I do it anyway, and often follow it up with saying that Someone has to Stay Behind to Hold Down the Fort. If all the anti-tea-baggers leave, then what's left? A very weak cup of tea, which I'm sure Stephen understands. Someone has to stay here to steal confederate flags off porches for destruction and to thin the herd of Republican political signs, which are very useful for other purposes.

I wasn't surprised and didn't feel blighted that S barely mentioned SC when he whizzed through. I thought he would stop in Charleston, but he did go to Savannah. He crossed that big bridge that goes into the city and the next scene was in GA and the Gullah interviews, which I thought was well done. The Thanksgiving dinner was very typical of a certain species of Southerners near the Sea Islands. While their food looked great the company S had made me nauseous. But the crew portrayed that section of our little society right on!

When I went to sleep last night I felt more patriotic towards the US b/c the show reminded me of just how different we all are. We really are a huge melting pot and that is what I like about my country! The show opened my eyes, which is good, because my blinders were getting pretty damn narrow.

~Melissa

~Melissa in SC, USA

jmw193

Posted Wed Jul 11th, 2012 2:42am Post subject: Ahh...The Deep South

I've just finished watching the films as well and very much enjoyed them. I too wished he had more time to explore each state, and I agree with the previous posts that the Carolinas are wonderful and diverse states. I have friends in Columbia and Charleston.

I have to thank Mr. Fry for being so kind when coming upon some of our nation's flaws. Mississippi has been my home since I was born, and Clarksdale, MS (although it does have a fine blues heritage) is a struggling town. The entire delta is struggling really, and not just financially speaking. So many of the young people in MS fail to take ownership of their education and future.

On a lighter note, the series has encouraged me to visit some states which I never thought of as very interesting, especially some of the planes states with their grand views of geological features.

Justin in MS
(and Dr. of Aerospace Engineering in 2years!)

danamcausey

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2012 5:10pm Post subject: Ahh...The Deep South

I've lived in Louisiana my whole life and just wanted to say that never in my life have I seen or even heard of a white voodoo priestess, lol. Those were some nutty lookin' folks!

lucycandy

Posted Mon Apr 1st, 2013 10:52am Post subject: Ahh...The Deep South

An ocean with world class fishing on one side of the state and the beautiful old mountains of the Blue Ridge on the other. It's really gorgeous!!