Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 8:57pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I kind of pronounce it like vergina. .

amlee

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:03pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I say vuh JI nuh... Is that right or wrong?

My neighbors must think I'm mad. I've now repeatedly said vagina, to try to see how I say it, with the windows open. After saying 'sconce' repeatedly of course. Maybe I could make a song out of it!!

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:05pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Maybe not a song, but definitly a rap....
OO i HAVE POSTED 301 POSTS- GO ME I AM SO COOL!

Kaseryn

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:13pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Gerti i would say neither/nor are equally correct in that useage.. as for none, it makes more sense if you say read than read(s)

Kaseryn

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:14pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Neither/nor mean pretty much the same thing don't they really.. nor is maybe a little more formal sounding, but cool.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 8:24am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Gerti i would say neither/nor are equally correct in that useage.. as for none, it makes more sense if you say read than read(s)

Thanks Kaseryn for the help, much appreciated

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 1:44pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
"None" can be plural or singular. It can mean "not one" (singular) or "not any" (plural).

None (not any) of them read a lot. Plural. I find that if it sounds right, it's usually grammatically wrong.

On the deleted scenes of the "QI" DVD, Stephen upbraided Alan for using the sentence, "None of them work." Stephen wanted Alan to use "works", contesting that "none" means not one. I understand that is the old school way of thinking and Stephen is definitely a classisist. But my Woe Is I grammar book makes a big to-do about "none" being both singular and plural.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 6:36pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
QI" DVD
Qi DVD? I didn't know they had released one yet????

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 6:43pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I'm buying it if they have.

ClareBear

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 8:27pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Series 1 came out before Xmas.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 8:39pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
"None" can be plural or singular. It can mean "not one" (singular) or "not any" (plural).

None (not any) of them read a lot. Plural. I find that if it sounds right, it's usually grammatically wrong.

On the deleted scenes of the "QI" DVD, Stephen upbraided Alan for using the sentence, "None of them work." Stephen wanted Alan to use "works", contesting that "none" means not one. I understand that is the old school way of thinking and Stephen is definitely a classisist. But my Woe Is I grammar book makes a big to-do about "none" being both singular and plural.

Even more help, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, Fryphile!

I tend to use the singular with "none" (probably influenced by the German ) I could now argue that Mr Fry ALSO uses the singular (that should shut them all up )
Perhaps it depends on oneĀ“s personal view of things - whether you see all the components making up "none" as one unit or individual items (a bit like police IS and police ARE... what a silly example) - but, regardless of whether none of them work or none of them workS - they are all lazy so-and-so`s X-D

I find that if it sounds right, it's usually grammatically wrong.
X-D X-D

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 11:50pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
i think mabye i didnt explain it right :-// i find americans pronounce it VAJ-IN-A, whereas i would say it VA-JINA. all depends on what part of the word you put the stress on. it just hit me what an odd post this is.. X-D i dont normally talk about these kind of things :-//

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 5:02am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I say haitch. I am from West Belfast, my kneecaps depend on it! "Aitch" in Norn Ireland is a bing-bong giveaway that you're a Protestant which is Frowned Upon in my area.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 1:32pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I'm not really in the VAJ-IN-A / VA-JIN-A business.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 4:08pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I'm not really in the VAJ-IN-A / VA-JIN-A business.

Isn't *all* business basically VAJ-IN-A / VA-JIN-A business?