Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 1:47pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Reminds me of that Saturday Night Fry skit with Hugh interviewing Phyllida (I think it was Phyllida) about what she does for a living.

"I'm a complainer. I write complaining letters to the BBC. I suspect I'll be complaining about this program."

BTW Pythonette, has anyone ever complained about Stephen to you? Because if they have . . .

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 2:22pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH

And there's the sketch of ABOFAL 2 with Hugh as an old spinster complaining about the use of foul language on TV: "Disgusting, simply disgusting."
There seems to be only one answers to over-eager complainers like that: "Pimhole!"

Terri

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 6:06pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Re: Vitamins/Vytamins

I wonder that too, given that I assume the root is from Vita, meaning "life" - so therefore should be like "vital" etc. But we do, and I for one refuse to say it any other way
Never hear anyone referring to a packet of Ry-vyta in the supermarket ... but then, never hear anyone say: veetamins either!

I do hate hearing an English person say "pryvacy" instead of "privacy" though. Tends to make me yell at the TV.

Aoibheann

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 6:38pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I think everyone has little pet hates when it comes to the english language. but we have to remember its a living breathing language, and if it didnt move and change then we would all be speaking in the language of Shakespear. you know? it depends on what you hear growing up, to determine how you prounce certain words. Local dialect and all that........ still it does bloody annoy me when people say aitch..... its HAITCH!

Pythonette

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 11:50am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH

Exactly. Oh dear, i don't think i could do that job. I'd be fired by the end of the first shift.

Complainer - "Hello, i'd like to place an official complaint about the colour of blahblahblah's shirt on the latest episode of .............."

The sad thing is, people do complain about shirts....

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 6:03pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Oh my word. These people need publicly flogging, on television. That would give me something to officially not complain about. X-D

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 12:56pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH

Exactly. Oh dear, i don't think i could do that job. I'd be fired by the end of the first shift.

Complainer - "Hello, i'd like to place an official complaint about the colour of blahblahblah's shirt on the latest episode of .............."

There are some really sad people in this world. Ever seen nitpickers.com? I couldn't stand looking there for much more than a few minutes. The crap people whine over and nitpick in films is pathetic. Someone on there seriously moaned that Monty Python and the Holy Grail is rubbish because it's not historically accurate! WTF?!

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 1:02pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Of course it's not historically accurate because they finished off the historian halfway through the film...

trouser material

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 6:07pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH

There are some really sad people in this world. Ever seen nitpickers.com? I couldn't stand looking there for much more than a few minutes. The crap people whine over and nitpick in films is pathetic. Someone on there seriously moaned that Monty Python and the Holy Grail is rubbish because it's not historically accurate! WTF?!

Where do these freaks come from? It is totally baffling how people can be so uptight and detatched from reality. It must all stem from childhood, having your head flushed down the toilet for being a tale-teller.

Britannicus

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 5:51am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Another spelling I hate seeing: congradulations instead of congratulations. Now is the d thing an Americanism or just tons of people on the internet making the same cock-up?

Oh, you should hear it where I live. It's practically a boycott against the letter T. ...Well, not entirely, in THAT sentence we'd say the T in "it's" and "against", while the T in "practically" is a weird hybrid between a d and a t. But in "boycott" the t's are swallowed and "letter" becomes ledder.

Therefore the statement, "I live in Layton by the mountains and I like to drink water" becomes "I live in Lay-in by the moun'uns and I like to drink wodder." Poor letter T. *pats it sympathetically on the head*

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Phlizz

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 9:28am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Boffinbabe said:
Anyway I also hate when people say five pound or eighty pound.... it is PLURAL as in more than one! Therefore it should be eighty pounds

Like when the sellers in market stalls shout "Two paaand a paaand banana!" (er, for two pounds of bananas will cost you one pound) that sort of thing? X-D

BTW Pythonette, has anyone ever complained about Stephen to you? Because if they have . . .

Surely not! No-one but Brian Sewell would dare say that Stephen had anything other than correct pronunciation, would they?

joan

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 9:38am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I have to confess to being a bit grumpy about Americanisms: not when they come from Americans: it is their dialect and they are entitled to it, but when Australians use them it is a bit much. My son, an English teacher, says 'gotten'. OK, it is a perfectly valid old past participle, but it has only survived in American: he just laughs when I have a whinge about that and others.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 11:41am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
[quote="Phlizz"]

Like when the sellers in market stalls shout "Two paaand a paaand banana!" (er, for two pounds of bananas will cost you one pound) that sort of thing? X-D
[quote]

I have been living in Poland for 2 years and now that youve mentioned the above I must say I kind of miss it.
By the way, Joan. be careful that what you criticise as Americanisms really are Americanisms. Read Made in America by Bill Bryson. Thousands of people complain about perfectly British words and phrases mistaking them for Americanisms.

Phlizz

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 1:39pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I saw Bill Bryson live - and I did used to like him - until i read "Notes from a Small Island"

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 3:25pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Another spelling I hate seeing: congradulations instead of congratulations. Now is the d thing an Americanism or just tons of people on the internet making the same cock-up?

Oh, you should hear it where I live. It's practically a boycott against the letter T. ...Well, not entirely, in THAT sentence we'd say the T in "it's" and "against", while the T in "practically" is a weird hybrid between a d and a t. But in "boycott" the t's are swallowed and "letter" becomes ledder.

Therefore the statement, "I live in Layton by the mountains and I like to drink water" becomes "I live in Lay-in by the moun'uns and I like to drink wodder." Poor letter T. *pats it sympathetically on the head*

It is a poor letter indeed. I've noticed a lot of people my age and younger can't pronounce 'th' properly whether it's 'th' as in 'through' or 'th' as in 'the'. Instead it's changed to a f or a d depending on which one. The amount of times I've heard 'gothic' pronounced as 'gofficks' is maddening. As if the pronounciation wasn't bad enough they add an 's' and turn it into a noun when it's an adjective! *bangs head*

Assuming direct control...