Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 3:50pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Another spelling I hate seeing: congradulations instead of congratulations. Now is the d thing an Americanism or just tons of people on the internet making the same cock-up?

Oh, you should hear it where I live. It's practically a boycott against the letter T. ...Well, not entirely, in THAT sentence we'd say the T in "it's" and "against", while the T in "practically" is a weird hybrid between a d and a t. But in "boycott" the t's are swallowed and "letter" becomes ledder.

Therefore the statement, "I live in Layton by the mountains and I like to drink water" becomes "I live in Lay-in by the moun'uns and I like to drink wodder." Poor letter T. *pats it sympathetically on the head*

It is a poor letter indeed. I've noticed a lot of people my age and younger can't pronounce 'th' properly whether it's 'th' as in 'through' or 'th' as in 'the'. Instead it's changed to a f or a d depending on which one. The amount of times I've heard 'gothic' pronounced as 'gofficks' is maddening. As if the pronounciation wasn't bad enough they add an 's' and turn it into a noun when it's an adjective! *bangs head*

aww lads if you want annoying you should come over to inner city Dublin, in the north side, the accent and pronuciation is hilarious....
A simple sentence like "will you come in for dinner" sounds something like "WIll yiz cum in foh-wer yizer dinnoh" followed by a curse of some kind and a drag of a cig..... I actually want to try and find a sound byte of the accent just so you can hear it... its terrible.

Britannicus

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 3:15am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH

aww lads if you want annoying you should come over to inner city Dublin, in the north side, the accent and pronuciation is hilarious....
A simple sentence like "will you come in for dinner" sounds something like "WIll yiz cum in foh-wer yizer dinnoh" followed by a curse of some kind and a drag of a cig..... I actually want to try and find a sound byte of the accent just so you can hear it... its terrible.

I would so love to hear what that sounds like. You know what would be really neat? If we had a thread where we could post sound clips of ourselves talking, to hear all the different sorts of accents of the people that visit. Is there even a website to host that type of file? That would be so fun.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 3:07pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
OH MY GOD, I was saying the very same thing to Aoibh a week ago, it was after hearing Boffin's voice, we started to wonder what people on the forum sound like.... we should ask Meeky, he seems to be the Computer wiz kid around here.

Britannicus

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 8:45pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Yeah, we should. Oh Meeeeeky, where art thou?

"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 10:37pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I asked him via PM and basically we need to check it all out with Atari first because the Forum may no be able to cater for it... but if we could link to a host somewhere then we may be able to. he also linked me to a free voice recorder that you can download, so once you have a mic then you should be able to sort it. so Atari, any ideas?

Phlizz

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 11:09pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
I don't mind having a few people's voices on a website - so you'd click the (picture) link and download the file or open it on the webpage, as long as you don't want anything too fancy. My monthly bandwidth limit is 12288.00 MB too so I don't know if that would be enough. If I can help and you'd like me to, let me know.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 11:31pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
wow thats fantastic Phlizz, I guess we have to get a reading from people as to if they want to do it or not... if its do-able and not too much trouble then why not?

Britannicus

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 4:07am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Yes! Not everyone will be able to, I imagine, as not everyone has a microphone. But I think this is worth trying if the forum can comfortably support it. It would be loads of fun.

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 1:26pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
We could just post things on youtube and then send links.?
I remember when I first heard Meeky's voice I was surprised because I he had an accent and i was like woooahh!

Phlizz

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 6:41pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Oh yeah, that's a good idea. A YouTube account is free right?

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 6:41pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Yes yes yes

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 7:33pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
anything Ive ever tried to upload to youtube hasnt worked so I'll have to give it another try before I can confirm if I'll go the youtube route....

Britannicus

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2007 1:17am Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
YouTube may work...I'm sure there must be a free audio hosting website out there somewhere, though. I'll do some searching. I'm looking for good privacy policies and whatnot, I'm so tired of spam. You wouldn't send spam, would you Phlizz?

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2007 4:56pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Well to be honest... it isn't the most important thing in the world. I don't think anyone should worry too much about it.

Britannicus

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2007 9:03pm Post subject: AITCH, NOT HAITCH
Who's worrying?