Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 4:56am Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
I've been really concerned about this and want to know.

My blog is being published, in part, as a book. It is called "The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive: A Guide to being "Mentally Interesting" and although it is not exactly the same as Stephen's documentary, it's rather similar.

Naturally I did nick the title of it but it started out as a blog, so didn't matter. I love Stephen Fry, I liked the documentary and felt it was a good description.

Now I don't want to step on anyone's big toes!

I want to find out if I am breaching copyright so I can change the name sharpish. Does anyone know how I can find out?

ClareBear

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 7:22am Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
check with a solicitor.

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 12:05pm Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
Oh, okay. I am an unemployable 21 year old so not sure where to even find a solicitor!

ClareBear

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 9:02pm Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
Citizen's Advice Bureau?

mazikeen

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 11:09am Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
Maybe you can check with SF's sollicitor ? (just an idea)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Mar 17th, 2007 11:45am Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
Sounds like your having a hard time at the moment.

How about -

'The Not-So-Secret Life of a Manic Depressive'

It is quite different from our Stephen's epic, but retains the connection, therefore the topic link, it refers to his work in a respecting way...gives a nod too... is bullet proof for their law hounds.... if you use hyphens and the infefinate article... the only common words are the, life, of, manic depressive and i don't think their is any ownership of these, and the sense of the title is opposite to his, because it is the public life of... and let's face it your blog is pretty public, and a lot better written as well!

Kit Ellis

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 10:06am Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
(POST DELETED)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Mar 24th, 2007 12:03pm Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
In Australia, We have an organisation called the Copyright Council of Australia. I'm sure you must have a similar organisation where you live.

I found them via the Australasian Performing Right Association, of which I am a member.

They give free basic advice (via email/phone), and will point you in the right direction.

As a composer (of music) they have provided me with a great deal of help, and have so far been able to answer all my questions.

I certainly understand your thoughts on the use of a Copyright Solicitor when it comes to $'s. This is a path I'll inevitably need to go down one day, but am dreading the bill.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 12:34pm Post subject: Am I breaching copyright with my book title being similar...
Miss S pm 4u C