Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whatonearth

Posted Thu Jan 17th, 2008 9:35pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I watched it for the first time in YEARS the other day and realised how great it is. It all gets a bit sad towards the end, poor bitter twisted old Salieri, I'd be pissed off too if I was him but I still hope Mozart was really like that, to an extent at least.

The end of this scene is my favourite, where he plays Salieri's little march and makes up something so much better on the spot, and that giggle...it's killing me that I can't even remember what it's called and I'm going to kick myself when I remember reminds me of the time when I spent about a week humming Barber's adagio for strings and not being able to remember what it was called to save my life...anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HddZ4229fJs

oh, and incidentally, in the back garden of my friend's old house someone had a sculpture/statue thing called Don Giovanni, here is a picture of it from a bad angle:

Canzonett

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 8:47am Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
This is indeed one of my three favourite scenes in Amadeus: Mozart transforming Salieri's boring little march into Figaro's "Non più andrai"; Mozart dictating Salieri the "Confutatis" on his deathbed; and the transition from Salieri's voice lesson with that opera singer into Konstanze's "Martern" aria!

flookwit

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 9:45am Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
Ed.

whatonearth

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 12:10pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
This is indeed one of my three favourite scenes in Amadeus: Mozart transforming Salieri's boring little march into Figaro's "Non più andrai"; Mozart dictating Salieri the "Confutatis" on his deathbed; and the transition from Salieri's voice lesson with that opera singer into Konstanze's "Martern" aria!

that's the one! actually i found out not long after i started this topic but i didn't bother to go back and edit it. and yes i love those scenes too

and yes, the very end when salieri comes out of his room and talks about how he is the king of all the mediocrities (i forget the exact phrase) and goes round in his wheelchair forgiving all of the other people in the asylum...i loved how there was a kind of duality to it (if that's the right term, i'm not really much of a film buff i'm afraid), knowing why he's behaving like that but also just seeing him as this crazy old man. tis good.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 1:17pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I liked that scene when Mozart improved Salieri's piece as well. It was a brilliant film. I love it I've got the director's cut (not the stinky flip the disc halfway through the film version my dad's mate had). Mozart's laugh was ace. Mozart's music was pretty awesome. I need to buy some more. I don't have as much of his stuff as I'd like. I'm annoyed my stereo's broke and I've got nothing to play my cassettes on now. I'll replace them on cd when I get some money.

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 2:01pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
'Amadeus' is one of my favourite films ever. When the director's cut was released a few years ago I immediately rushed out and bought the DVD. There are so many great scenes in it: Mozart improvising over Salieri's little welcome march (he used the melody not only for Figaro's aria, but for a counterdance as well), the "too many notes" - scene, Salieri reflecting on the final act of Mozart's Figaro ("Contessa perdono"), Mozart's screeching mother-in-law turning into the Queen of Night, the whole deathbed-scene, Mozart being buried to the sounds of his 'Lacrimosa' and many more.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 2:23pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
Oh those are all good scenes Soupy. It was an amazing film. I couldn't help but rush out for the director's cut as well. It came just in time as I was going to buy the normal version. Saved some money not having to buy again. [The only film I own multiple cuts of is Bladerunner, because that's another one of my all-time favourite films and I'm a bit obsessed with it].

Amnesiac

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 1:13pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I'm really not a fan of the film. It could be the American accents. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is the American accents which bother me. They're in VIENNA. To be fair, it picks up at the end, when Mozart and Salieri are composing the Requiem together, and I can ignore the stupid accent. They used the music so well.

I saw a production in the Crucible theatre in Sheffield recently (the last one before the 2 year reconstruction) and that was much better. There was this amazing scene when Salieri realises Mozart's talent, and drops the sheets to the floor, and a single spotlight was put on him as paper fell from the ceiling, and Mozart's music booming out in the background. Spectacular. Although I did get a bit distracted by a wonderful woman in the front row, who kept getting hit with pieces of paper and seemed so upset by it. X-D

But at the moment, I have to write about social status in the play for my final module assessment, so I HATE Amadeus and all it's connotations! Especially Peter bloody 'I'm brilliant' Shaffer. Gah!

whatonearth

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 1:39pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
If I'm being honest, I would rather hear American accents than fake 'allo 'allo type accents for whatever language the character in question was supposed to be speaking in...and i'm not sure subtitles would have worked either. Maybe it would have helped to highlight Vienna's cultural significance in Europe, but meh it doesn't really bother me at all. It's not like they're pretending Mozart was American or anything ridiculous like that, he's just played by an American actor.

As for Peter Shaffer, well I was babysitting last night and ended up spending about 5 hours or more watching Amadeus again and all the DVD extras (looong evening haha), including some of the director's commentary and I have to say he really got on my nerves sometimes. One thing did make me laugh though: he was being a bit snotty about Mozart's laugh in the film and talking about how he'd more or less got rid of it in the play because he thought it was distracting or whatever, and how he'd turned it into more of a self-conscious snigger, and Milos Forman basically said 'that's stupid, we know that Mozart's laugh was like that [in the film] - you should never play Mozart' and Peter Shaffer just went a bit quiet, haha.

Shaffer also has quite a lot to say about the script for the film, and how it was more or less 'dumbed down' for the mass audiences who go to the cinema whereas the script in the play is much more intelligent and suited to the sophisticated people in Europe who go to the theatre...well those weren't his exact words but that seemed like the gist of it.

Amnesiac

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 1:53pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I guess I wouldn't be happy with an upper class English accent, or any other for that matter. It just bothered me a little bit with how obviously American it was. In the production I went to see Constance had a Yorkshire accent, but I think that's because we were in Sheffield... 'Ta very much', said she. Thought that was sort of amusing, though.

Shaffer seems to be, frankly, a bit of a dick. He sets all of these rules for people who want to put on a performance of his plays, and doesn't let them deviate from the script much unless he approves it. Which I suppose is fair enough - it is his play - but theatre lives in re-invention. I get the feeling that Shaffer thinks he's awesome - the new Shakespeare - and it's irritating. His plays are good, but by no means masterpieces. In reality, he himself is Salieri by gaining notoriety from writing about Mozart, but perhaps that was intentional cynicism.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 2:39pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I'm not really familiar with Shaffer but I didn't exactly feel myself warm to him when I was listening to the commentary, he just seemed pretty opinionated and snobbish.

Well as for the film being American, I love Tom Hulce's performance and I just didn't find the accents annoying at all, I barely noticed them if I'm being honest.

Aw, I just looked up F Murray Abraham on wikipedia and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._Murray_Abraham_syndrome

poor guy!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 2:46pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I'd love to see a play production of Amadeus. I'll keep an eye out for it. In the meantime I'm going to see a production of The Magic Flute in March so I have that to look forward to.

Things like accents and languages don't bother me that much in films (or anime for that matter). Given a choice I always go for subbed as I do enjoy hearing it in the original language it was filmed in but if I have to settle for dub I don't mind I'm just happy to watch. I just don't let things like accents irritate me anymore.

Amnesiac

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 2:51pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I'd love to see a play production of Amadeus. I'll keep an eye out for it. In the meantime I'm going to see a production of The Magic Flute in March so I have that to look forward to.

The Crucible's run of Amadeus is over, but one of the other Sheffield theatres is putting on Equus (minus Harry Potter's 'gentleman's area') later this year. I think I might have talked to you about Shaffer before, in the books thread, but I'm not quite sure.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 2:51pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
it's easy to slip into anti-americanism with films like independence day and saving private ryan (which i still enjoyed), but you can't blame people for having a particular accent.

i've never watched a foreign film with dubbing, i always worry that subtitles may be simplifying or reducing what's actually said by the actor, but subtitles have this weird thing for me (and probably everyone but i haven't asked anyone else yet :P) where i find them offputting at first because i'm too busy reading them to notice what's actually happening in the film, but by the end i almost completely forget it's happening. i remember i noticed that first when i was watching oldboy, by the end i'd completely forgotten i was reading subtitles.

but as for amadeus, i don't see the point in using subtitles just for the sake of accuracy, for me at least it works fine just how it is.

Amnesiac

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 3:13pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
it's easy to slip into anti-americanism with films like independence day and saving private ryan (which i still enjoyed), but you can't blame people for having a particular accent.

Oh, it's nothing to do with anti-Americanism. As I said, the Yorkshire take on it wasn't much good either. TBH, I think it's one of those things where I won't be happy with it, just because I'm an awkward git, and an English language student!

(I haven't seen either of those films, and I don't want to. That isn't anti-Americanism either. Just common sense. )