Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 3:17pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
That's why my mum won't watch anything with subtitles. She says she'd miss what's happening. You get used to it though. I'm used to watching films and anime with subtitles so I don't find them distracting even from the beginning. It's just a habit. It's like reading manga from right-to-left, it just becomes normal and habit the more you do it so that it's not even noticeable.

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 3:27pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
as a rule, I never watch dubbed films (or series), yet Amadeus seems to be an exception and about the only film I can't watch in its original language. Not only because, as Amnesiac pointed out, the film is set in Vienna and English, no matter what accent, would be odd, but also because they did a really good job with the dubbing. Many of the characters speak German with a Viennese acccent which adds so much to the whole atmosphere. My only complaint is that they (= Neville Marriner and "his" musicians) performed the Magic Flute and the Abduction from the Seraglio in English, because I generally prefer to listen to and perform works in their original language.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 3:59pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
it's easy to slip into anti-americanism with films like independence day and saving private ryan (which i still enjoyed), but you can't blame people for having a particular accent.

Oh, it's nothing to do with anti-Americanism. As I said, the Yorkshire take on it wasn't much good either. TBH, I think it's one of those things where I won't be happy with it, just because I'm an awkward git, and an English language student!

(I haven't seen either of those films, and I don't want to. That isn't anti-Americanism either. Just common sense. )

haha well i'm an ex-lit student and have recently been accused of being a 'book nazi' (just because my mum got bored with the subtle knife (the philip pullman book), and started reading patricia cornwell instead, and i cursed her with mock despair because i love his dark materials), so you're not completely alone don't worry!

if only i was fluent in german (or spoke it at all), i'd like to see the dubbed version of amadeus.

Amnesiac

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 4:26pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
it's easy to slip into anti-americanism with films like independence day and saving private ryan (which i still enjoyed), but you can't blame people for having a particular accent.

Oh, it's nothing to do with anti-Americanism. As I said, the Yorkshire take on it wasn't much good either. TBH, I think it's one of those things where I won't be happy with it, just because I'm an awkward git, and an English language student!

(I haven't seen either of those films, and I don't want to. That isn't anti-Americanism either. Just common sense. )

haha well i'm an ex-lit student and have recently been accused of being a 'book nazi' (just because my mum got bored with the subtle knife (the philip pullman book), and started reading patricia cornwell instead, and i cursed her with mock despair because i love his dark materials), so you're not completely alone don't worry!

if only i was fluent in german (or spoke it at all), i'd like to see the dubbed version of amadeus.

I do language and literature, so I'm similar. And adore Phillip Pullman!

whatonearth

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 4:34pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I did language in my first year but ended up dropping it, which might have been silly but seeing as we only did 4 modules a year anyway I just didn't really fancy any of the language ones to continue. But my official degree is english language and literature.

I was so disappointed when she said she'd given up on the subtle knife, I love that series and I'm yet to meet someone who didn't cry like a baby at the end, I know I did!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jan 20th, 2008 5:02pm Post subject: Amadeus, anyone?
I've only just got His Dark Materials books for christmas. I enjoyed The Golden Compass so I intend to read the books, especially the rest before they do any more films. I normally prefer to read books before seeing film versions.

I want to use my time this year to keep learning German. I was doing fine with it until about last Easter when I was under a lot of stress and had to keep missing classes and then quit because I didn't think I'd ever catch up. It upset me a lot as I normally see things through to then end and am not a quitter.

Assuming direct control...