Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Panja

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 1:19pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
I just have to say that Stephen Fry is an absolutely brilliant writer! So far I've only ready his autobiography and half of Making History, but his writing is so captivating that I lose all sense of time and my surroundings disappear as I'm transported into what ever world he is creating on the page. I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to read Making History as I'm not really interested in history at all, but I had just finished Moab is my Washpot and Making History was the only other book of Stephen's that had arrived and I wanted to read more of his work after Moab was so wonderful. Now I can barely put this down, it's such an intriguing book and I get so lost in that world. It's an incredibly enjoyable experience reading Stephen Fry's books and I look forward to reading them all in the near future.

I also wanted to add that I was quite happy to see a reference to The Prisoner in Making History. I had just spent the first half of my work shift watching the last 5 episodes of that unique television show and then I picked up my book to see a reference on the very next page! It worked well in the story too, but if I had no idea what The Prisoner was, I would have been slightly confused. I like when things like that tie in together and make sense

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 7:34pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
I still haven't read Making History though I really want to. It looks like it'll be a good one. I love Stephen's writing too. I've read Moab is my Washpot, The Liar and Paperweight and I enjoyed all three immensely. It's so difficult to put his books down.

I also wanted to add that I was quite happy to see a reference to The Prisoner in Making History. I had just spent the first half of my work shift watching the last 5 episodes of that unique television show and then I picked up my book to see a reference on the very next page! It worked well in the story too, but if I had no idea what The Prisoner was, I would have been slightly confused. I like when things like that tie in together and make sense :d

You'll love The Laughing Prisoner then. Have you seen it by any chance? It's from The Tube in 1987. It's written by and starring Jools Holland and Stephen Fry. I love it so much. ^_^

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Assuming direct control...

Panja

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 7:53pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
I still haven't read Making History though I really want to. It looks like it'll be a good one. I love Stephen's writing too. I've read Moab is my Washpot, The Liar and Paperweight and I enjoyed all three immensely. It's so difficult to put his books down.
The Liar and Paperweight are the only ones I don't have now, still waiting for them in the mail. You should definitely read Making History, it's so unbelievably incredible (also incredibly unbelievable). I never thought I'd so enjoy a book like this. Part of me wants to read it all right now because I can't stop reading it, and another part of me wants to read it slowly to make it last forever because it's just so good I never want to stop reading it. I need time for his other books though. I've been recommending them to everybody I know because not many people over here even know who Stephen Fry is and that, my friend, is a damn shame! I've already gotten a few people hooked on QI, and one friend is borrowing Moab from me so I'm spreading the Stephen love around over here, I'm hoping it grows and grows.

You'll love The Laughing Prisoner then. Have you seen it by any chance? It's from The Tube in 1987. It's written by and starring Jools Holland and Stephen Fry. I love it so much. ^_^

ooh, thanks! I hadn't heard of this, I'm excited to check it out now!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 8:18pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
Oh you're welcome, you'll enjoy them. There's some delightful musical surprises in it too.

Spread the Stephen love! That's the way.

I'm planning to start reading The Hippopotmus in the next week or so and Making History after I've finished it. The trouble is I want to read all his books at once I'm already wanting to re-read Moab.

Panja

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 9:01pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
I know what you mean, I've never wanted to read so many books at the same time before. His books are just so deliciously addictive. Halfway through Moab I had already decided that I wanted to read it again, and now I want to read The Ode Less Travelled and The Hippopotamus and The Stars' Tennis Balls and the rest of Making History, all right now, all at the same time! And then I want to read them all again! I don't know how I'll ever decide which to read next after Making History, I just want to read them all! I also have Hugh Laurie's book, The Gun Seller, and it sounds really good too so I want to read that as well. Too many choices and an indecisive mind! X-D

Maureen

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 5:51pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
Oh, thanks for the link to The Laughing Prisoner - am just about to take a look. I've read most of Stephen's novels and 'The Ode Less Travelled' and am currently re-reading 'Moab' - but I haven't read 'Making History' so that is now the next on my list - especially if there is a reference to 'The Prisoner'!

I discovered 'The Prisoner' about 20 years ago and have been hooked on it ever since - had it on video and when they wore out replaced it on DVD.

Has anyone else been to Portmeirion where it was filmed? Beautiful place!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 6:18pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
Oh I've been having the same problem. I keep debating in my head whether to start going through Ode Less Travelled as well. Argh! So much to read so little time! I want to read everything now!

masquerade

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 8:18pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
I want to read Moab... and Hippopotamus and Making History and Stars Tennis Balls and Paperweight and Ode Less Travelled...........

But I've been told I have to read loads of WW1 novels, poetry, plays, memoirs, letters etc. for my synoptic paper in June so I don't know when I'm going to get the time to read them!

Shock as it may be to my English teacher, I would much prefer to be reading any of Stephen's books than Robert Graves' Goodbye To All That.

Maureen

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 8:45pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!
Start making a reading list for July??

Just watched 'The Laughing Prisoner' - brilliant!! Glad I joined this forum if only to be told about that programme- bless you amyl_nitrate!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 10:10pm Post subject: Amazing Writer!!

Has anyone else been to Portmeirion where it was filmed? Beautiful place!

I have. I went as a child one summer. It was lovely there. I've always wanted to go back. When I finally pass my test and get a car I'm soooo going there.