Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

2012Davies

Posted Tue Nov 15th, 2011 3:09pm Post subject: America Tour By Car

Firstly, can I say how good Stephen Fry in America was. It has inspired myself and my girlfriend to do our own tour of the USA by car. However, we do not quite know about the correct visas, where to buy a car, car insurance and similar essentials. We will be going to most of the places that were shown on the show, except maybe 'the body farm' lol.
We are planning on leaving the UK in June 2013 to do Camp America then leaving to tour the states, which at that time we will both be 22. Any help from Stephen himself or fellow 'forum-ers' will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tom Davies

lilithparker

Posted Tue Dec 27th, 2011 8:59pm Post subject: America Tour By Car

At that age, it's going to be nigh impossible for you to rent a car in the States (most agencies won't rent to anyone under 25 years old). Buying one isn't really an option unless you already own property here, since you'd have to register the vehicle in the state in which you reside. My advice: make friends with someone here who will loan you a car for your trip, or take the bus/train (which will get expensive, but then, so will the petrol).

Things to consider:

- A straight line from Washington State to Virginia is around 3000 miles, takes the better part of a week, and will run about $350 in petrol at today's prices. I'm not saying this to discourage you, just to give you a starting point for your calculations. Use Google Maps to plan your route, find lodging, and calculate mileage so you have a rough idea of how much this will all cost.

- Your embassy will have information about what type of visa you need and what you need to do to get it. Remember that cars break down and traffic happens when you least expect it, so add a day or three to your plans just in case. Also ask them about driver's licenses -- you may be able to use your UK license, but it's more likely that you'll have to apply for an international license, and I've no idea how much that will cost (in money or time).

- If your plan is to duplicate Stephen's trip, go for it. If it's to see the best each state has to offer, ask the locals. Stephen visited some places that didn't really represent the states they're in, and there are plenty of us who have better suggestions. You'll also find that some of the places (like the sub base in Connecticut) aren't nearly as welcoming or interesting if you're not a celebrity making a television programme.

Best of luck with the research and the trip, and let me know if you'd like information about places to visit/eat/sleep in Vermont or Connecticut!

MeaganWhit

Posted Sat Jan 14th, 2012 2:57am Post subject: America Tour By Car

I plan to move to England summer 2013 in a semi-permanent working on my PhD way, so barring a freak occurance, you are totally welcome to my car. It probably does't have much life left in it, as it's nearing 200,000 miles, but what a way to go, eh? I honestly can't imagine a better fate for it.
And, conveniently, I'm only about an hour from DC, which I believe to be a better place to fly into than New York.
Anyway, good luck with your plans, and if you decide you need a car, and mine is still running, it's all yours, you know, minus the title.

Kay114

Posted Mon Feb 13th, 2012 11:17pm Post subject: America Tour By Car

I recommend Detroit for its riverfront Fourth of July spectacular and trying one of the Great Lakes for swimming. Almost all those lakes are like miniature Gulfstream waters: temperate but great for surfing.

Btw, Zipcar.com may allow renters under age 25.

2012Davies said:

We are planning on leaving the UK in June 2013 to do Camp America then leaving to tour the states, which at that time we will both be 22. Any help from Stephen himself or fellow 'forum-ers' will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tom Davies