Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

darrenaheaton

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 1:41am Post subject: american cocker spaniel story
hello
all darren here this my first post we have just got a american cocker spaniel from the rspca in the uk.
our dogs history is this she was found with 40 other dogs, and 20 some thing cats.
and by the rspca, is in the process of taking her owners to court for negelt.
but since she was rescued in january this year the only treatment she has had is a multi jab injection so she could be broaded at one of there kennels.
when we challenged them about this they said because her owners did not sign her over to them ,they could not give her the treatment she needs and was to be left in a kennel untreated for what ever health problems she had.
when we got hear we took to a local vet for an exam.
she had to have some teeth out as they were rotten,her coat is in a terrible condition,she has a large mass on the front of her chest and she has a serious thyroid problem.
how can the rspca negelt the dogs they rescue like this .
what do you think?
darren :'(

Nitro

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 6:07am Post subject: american cocker spaniel story
I'm not familiar with the RSPCA being on the other side of the pond here, but our org is similar I think. I'm not sure, however, wether they are bound by any similar rule and I don't think it's usually SPCA staff who raid the puppy mills. Generally here, the puppy mills are raided by special police units and have a vet on call or in house to tend to the various injuries of the animals. Often it's emergency treatment for the dogs in dire health first because of the shock they're in and to stabilize them. Kind of like any triage methods I guess. I'm sure they have to or hope to expect some level of co-operation from the exploiters/"owners" in order to determine which or if any of the animals have had any immunziations for things like kennel cough or rabies. Getting the dogs in stabalized health is the first priorty followed by boarding the ones that can be saved ( often, many of the dogs are in just too bad of shape to humanely expect any good outcome for them and rather than make them linger and suffer even longer, they are put to sleep ).

These units and orgs do not recieve tons of money allocated to them and work within a budget. I'm sure that affects much of their decision making. The main goal is to rescue the animals and prosecute the callus f*cksticks who have exploited them for money. After that, I think they rely on non-authority types of orgs to step in and get the animals into homes because there's just not enough room to shelter the thousands of dogs rescued. I think that's why your having adopted one of these poor animals is particularly special I'm sure there are probably lots of ways the systems could be improved, but much of that has to do with public awareness and willingness to help out.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 11:47pm Post subject: american cocker spaniel story
Welcome to the forum HPB. I can't really add anything to what Nitro said above except ditto. More often than not the facilities charged with the care of these animals have limited resources at best, which is why they often have to rely on volunteer help and donations. Unfortunately Cockers are prone to thyroid problems, and sometimes it's the tumor or mass which blocks the thyroid, causing it to not work properly, which in turn can cause skin and coat problems, but obviously your vet will know best. Anyway, you've done a great thing because without folks like you the alternative would probably be unnecessary euthanasia. Is she yours now?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

darrenaheaton

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 4:21am Post subject: american cocker spaniel story
Welcome to the forum HPB. I can't really add anything to what Nitro said above except ditto. More often than not the facilities charged with the care of these animals have limited resources at best, which is why they often have to rely on volunteer help and donations. Unfortunately Cockers are prone to thyroid problems, and sometimes it's the tumor or mass which blocks the thyroid, causing it to not work properly, which in turn can cause skin and coat problems, but obviously your vet will know best. Anyway, you've done a great thing because without folks like you the alternative would probably be unnecessary euthanasia. Is she yours now?

hi
walt yes she is our,s now and has had some treatment the has put her on some thyroid tablets.
and she to go back to see the in a weeks time to check her levels.
nice talking to you all by the way
if you would like to see a picture of dasiy why not vist my blogg at
highpeakbadger,blogspot.com
bye for now darren

Nitro

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 5:17am Post subject: american cocker spaniel story
Hi badger,
Daisy's a cutie

If you have difficulty with vet bills there's an organization called PetSamaritan that is not only a worthy org to donate to, but it exists to help with costs of pet care when you are in a pinch. I think you tell them what vet you are going to and they will, if they accept your plea for help, pay the vet directly ( obviously, because there are unethical people in the world who would exploit this system, they do not pay the owner directly ).

I think this is their site: http://www.petsamaritan.org/Medical/

I believe they would be doubly inclined to help someone who's rescured a dog with some of the costs. I referred a lady to them once whose little dog had broken a leg. This occurred on the coat tails of a very, very rough period for her and she was basically cashed out. The org contacted her vet to verify things and then called her to take the dog in for care.

They're a very good organization and I would encourage anyone with a few extra bucks laying around ( maybe sacrifice that Starbucks coffee one time? X-D ) to donate it to the Pet Samaritans.

For anyone else interested, here's a bit of an explanation of what they do:

http://www.petsamaritan.blogspot.com/

I sure wish some big money celebs ( like Oprah Winfrey ) would donate to them. $30 goes a long way for one animal and subtracting $30 from Oprahs wallet would be like me losing one penny. Barely noticeable X-D

Really? Wow.