Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Flossy

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 9:52am Post subject: Amusing quotes
An unusual, but popular saying in the north of England for someone who is ugly is.........

"He/she has a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp!"

Or, I have heard my wife say, when exppressing her randyness.......

"It's biting my leg!"

Or, if someone has a miserable face.......

"He/she has a face like a bag of smacked twats!"

absolutely curtains

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 10:03am Post subject: Amusing quotes
Welcome back Flossy - unless you were never actually away and I just kept missing you.

X-D, I must use the "bag of smacked twats" as much as I can.

Flossy

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 10:24am Post subject: Amusing quotes
Been exrtemely busy of late what with organising a rock festival in the middle of my local town and changing the singer in my band and being ill with flu and re-entering the labour party to fight the new Brown tendency and getting ready to go on holiday next week and trying to find work and a bit of eating and breathing in between!

But still, musn't complain!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 11:51am Post subject: Amusing quotes
One of my all time favorites, was a quote from Stephen himself on the Parkinson Show.

I’m writing this from memory, but this was the general gist of the conversation.

Michael Parkinson (To Larry Hagman): “Actually Larry you have an interesting story about how you started smoking.”

Larry Hagman (Reluctantly): “Mmm. Yes !”

Michael Parkinson: “Would you perhaps like to tell us about it ?”

Larry Hagman (Sheepishly): “Not really. But I guess I’m going to have to. Oh well, when I was at school a girl I liked said that if I smoked a cigarette, I could put my hand on her breast. (laughter) I smoked for 20 years after that.”

Stephen Fry (as quick as a flash): “Ah.. So you became a thirty breast a day man.”

A quote I remember to this day.

Anyway, catch yas.

Pete

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 11:54am Post subject: Amusing quotes
One of my all time favorites, was a quote from Stephen himself on the Parkinson Show.

I’m writing this from memory, but this was the general gist of the conversation.

Michael Parkinson (To Larry Hagman): “Actually Larry you have an interesting story about how you started smoking.”

Larry Hagman (Reluctantly): “Mmm. Yes !”

Michael Parkinson: “Would you perhaps like to tell us about it ?”

Larry Hagman (Sheepishly): “Not really. But I guess I’m going to have to. Oh well, when I was at school a girl I liked said that if I smoked a cigarette, I could put my hand on her breast. (laughter) I smoked for 20 years after that.”

Stephen Fry (as quick as a flash): “Ah.. So you became a thirty breast a day man.”

A quote I remember to this day.

Anyway, catch yas.

Pete

*lol* What a peculiar offer, though...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 12:00pm Post subject: Amusing quotes

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 12:12pm Post subject: Amusing quotes

*lol* What a peculiar offer, though...
Incredible offer. Parki had to lure it out of Larry.
Stephens reply.... Well, I remember having to be picked up off the floor.

healing angel

Posted Sat Jul 21st, 2007 6:41am Post subject: Amusing quotes
I always refer to a lady toyshop owner as Mrs Drop- pie to my kids.
Reason being every time you see her she never smiles. She has a face like a dropped pie.

When encountering an angry menopausal woman at work one day my boss
came to me to complain about her. I replied that "she aught to up her HRT before being unleashed on the public". Sound familiar folks there is always one we know isn't there?

given2fly

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 11:25pm Post subject: Amusing quotes
There are many sayings in regional Scottish dialects that i've heard over the years which have brought a smile to my face; if not because they're funny, because of their quaintness.

awa in bile yer heid!

yer nae a' that an a bag o' tatties! - translation of 'you aint all that and a bag of potato chips!'

Get thee away ta' fuck!

Yer breeks are fa 'in doon - your trousers are falling down.

There's also a line from that eminent scottish poet William Topaz Mcgonagall, in one of his poems, which i've always found quite amusing:

On yonder brae there stood a coo
It must hae goan cos it's no there noo

ysabella

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 11:38pm Post subject: Amusing quotes
I heard a guy on the radio last night talking about aphorisms: you can play what I heard on this page since NPR does such a nice job of their web site.

I'm not at all sure that I ever realize that there's a difference between an aphorism, a platitude, and a proverb. I probably picked up a subtle distinction just from context, but if someone asked me to explain, I probably couldn't. The guy they had on also has worked on classifying types of aphorisms.The only type he mentioned was, if I remember right, something like "chiasm" which leads me to find chiasmus. Yeah, that was basically it - reversing something in a clever way. His example was Mae West's saying: "It's not the man in your life, it's the life in your man."

boffinbabe12

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 8:08pm Post subject: Amusing quotes
I hope you're adaptable Dr Scott. i know Brad is. ~ Frank N Furter, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Richard O' Brian

cakebelly

Posted Fri Oct 5th, 2007 1:53pm Post subject: Amusing quotes
Genuine Turkish Proverb: A woman for duty, a boy for pleasure but a goat for ecstasy.

boffinbabe12

Posted Fri Oct 5th, 2007 4:23pm Post subject: Amusing quotes
Disturbing

Britannicus

Posted Sun Oct 7th, 2007 10:24pm Post subject: Amusing quotes
X-D X-D X-D

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

joan

Posted Mon Oct 8th, 2007 12:37am Post subject: Amusing quotes
The secret of success is sincerity: if you can fake that, you've got it made.