Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

SarahGoulden

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 8:54pm Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry

First of all...I want to excuse myself. In order to adress this letter to you I have to use your beautiful language and the gentle reader will of course notice that it´s not my native tongue. I will make mistakes for which I´m sorry and I hope I won´t embarrass myself "too" much. But I want to do this despite the chance of making an idiot of myself.

I am aware that you will probably never read this for there are too many people who want to adress you with their thoughts but I do it anyway.

I just wanted to express my great gratitude for your work, your voice, your writings, your openness to your fans and your charming character.
I myself am just a small writer (not even a published one) but I always felt a strange connection to artists like you. Those who have overcome or are fighting with the ups and downs of a psychological disorder and still found a way to express themselves....going out there and doing it. Not bend down by their own fear of rejection from the public. I admire your strengh and your courage for I am not a great light in both departments but I guess I still have time.

I read a few of your books (not all of them I have to admit) and watched you on stage and I have to say
I admire your presence there (I couldn´t stand to be up there.....the bloodpressure would surely kill me).

You walk the stage with the grace of a hero who may have been defeated a few times in battle but still stands tall, proud, fair and beautiful nonetheless.

I wish I could express my gratitude in better words but this sorry excuse will have to do.

So I guess there is nothing much to say except "Thank you". You inspired me and helped me through a rough time with your outstanding work.

Thank you

Sarah Goulden

*takes a bow and leaves*

P.S. If this is in any way crossing the line I hope it gets deleted by a moderator before someone is offended. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

SarahGoulden

Posted Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 2:25am Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
Is this letter too cheesy, personal or offending that no one is commenting on it, or is it just because it is directed to Mr. Fry that no one thinks it is right to answer to it?

I was just wondering, not being offended myself for the lack of comment.

Or did I write something so completely and terribly silly?

If someone could tell me how I could rephrase this letter I would be glad.
I didn´t want to make an idiot of myself, just show my adoration for the man.

So a critic would be appreciated. It´s the only way I learn.

Greetings
Sarah

Nitro

Posted Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 3:44am Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
or is it just because it is directed to Mr. Fry that no one thinks it is right to answer to it?

That would be my first guess Sarah. And not so much that it isn't right to answer TO it, but because it's not addressed to anyone but Mr.Fry. Maybe that's part of the reason. So, no one comments or, god forbid, critiques your feelings because a) they'd feel it would be rude and b) because they feel they've no right to.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 3:34pm Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
I just thought you wanted to express your feelings which you did very well, by the way. It's a lovely letter.

SarahGoulden

Posted Sat Jul 25th, 2009 2:32am Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
Yes...it´s true. I just wanted to express my feelings.....

But if I wrote something stupid....I would have loved to be corrected.

Maybe I was just nervous about this.......silence.....I was afraid I made an idiot of myself.

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Now I do feel a bit like an idiot (of course no one answers to a letter not adressed to him)....so excuse my ramblings...

Sarah

Maxx England

Posted Sat Jul 25th, 2009 1:37pm Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
If it makes you feel any less exposed, then I'll own up. I'm an idiot, too. Any more idiots here?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

tito

Member *

Posted Sat Jul 25th, 2009 1:51pm Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
If it makes you feel any less exposed, then I'll own up. I'm an idiot, too. Any more idiots here?

Yes. I am an idiot. In fact, and I don't want to big myself up here too much, I have spent 99% of my life behaving in a massively idiotic fashion.

A natural talent!

Here's a thought! (Listen carefully, another may not come along)

What makes George W Bush an idiot?

a) The fact that he does idiotic things?

b) Or the fact that he does idiotic things and doesn't know he's an idiot?

It's 'b' I would say.

Sarah, sometimes I think people don't comment on things just because everything has been said and they don't feel they can add any more. I haven't been on this forum long but have already done this ie: gone to respond to something and then thought 'well, they've said what I think already, and made a better job of it than I would have done' and so have not posted a quote.

If I did I think I'd spend all day typing 'well said dear!' etc.

Chin up!

tito

Member *

Posted Sat Jul 25th, 2009 7:44pm Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
or is it just because it is directed to Mr. Fry that no one thinks it is right to answer to it?

That would be my first guess Sarah. And not so much that it isn't right to answer TO it, but because it's not addressed to anyone but Mr.Fry. Maybe that's part of the reason. So, no one comments or, god forbid, critiques your feelings because a) they'd feel it would be rude and b) because they feel they've no right to.

I have thought it a bit more about this and think Nitro's comments are right. Since you invited comment Sarah, you have received it and probably, had it been clear you would have welcomed it before, I'm sure people would have replied.

Perhaps people thought you just wanted to make a statement of your feelings and that was it.

I do hope you haven't been put off contributing in the future.

Tito waves at Sarah

SarahGoulden

Posted Mon Jul 27th, 2009 1:09pm Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
Thank you all.....

now I feel like an idiot and close to tears.....thank you very much...

I will show my face around and haven´t been put off, just thought I made a mistake.

I´m being a big sissy and girly here.....just ignore it....

I just adore "The Man" and maybe.....share a few thoughts about him.

Sarah

tito

Member *

Posted Mon Jul 27th, 2009 3:06pm Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
Thank you all.....

now I feel like an idiot and close to tears.....thank you very much...

I will show my face around and haven´t been put off, just thought I made a mistake.

I´m being a big sissy and girly here.....just ignore it....

I just adore "The Man" and maybe.....share a few thoughts about him.

Sarah

Glad you're going to stick with it! Nice to hear from you again!

Nitro

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 4:25am Post subject: An open letter to Mr. Stephen Fry
I don't think it makes you an idiot just because you express some very nice thoughts to someone you like BTW, welcome to the forum.

Really? Wow.