Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whatonearth

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 12:53am Post subject: Andrew D'Angelo
Fucking fuck...

http://www.andrewdangelo.com/blog.php

read the blog. listen to his music if you want, whatever. god knows why i'm so sad about this, i feel like such an idiot but well...but nothing really!

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 1:13am Post subject: Andrew D'Angelo
Oh my God the poor man... Well at least he is positive about it, he will fight it and he will live his life with intent.
Dont second guess yourself Mockingbird, you are sad because you are human and feel for someone - that is such a beautiful thing. The world needs more people to care for it and those in it. I hope you feel ok x

whatonearth

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 1:23am Post subject: Andrew D'Angelo
well the thing is i was never that familiar with his music, i mean i'd heard it and i knew about him because of his connections with other musicians i like but somehow i never made the time to really explore what he's done, despite the fact that his music does fit in with the general mould/aesthetic/ideals/i don't know what the right word is that i'm into. but then i heard he had a brain tumour and i started reading the blog and i was blown away by his energy...i recognise that it isn't really all that uncommon for people to be able to somehow 'deal' with the big things better than the little things (because there's no choice?) but yeah i just feel incredibly shit on his and his friends' behalf. i am a big fan of one of his good friends and i have no idea how he must be feeling right now. it's stupid!

as for the alternative medicine thing...i'm no doctor so i'm just guessing but i've got to admit the fact that his tumour is aggressive is a little worrying. just seems like he can't really afford to waste any time trying out things that might do next to nothing just because some people have a few stories about how it 'worked for them' without really knowing why or even that it actually did work.

JSKanga84

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 1:27am Post subject: Andrew D'Angelo
It's always sad when a musician is ill. Particularly one with such a good sense of humor and obvious command of his artistic medium. I listened to some of his music and-- wow-- he understands how to make any kind of sound he wants. It takes some serious work to know an instrument so well that you can literally do whatever you want on it. That's some amazing sax-work!!
My prayers are with him for his recovery.

whatonearth

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 1:35am Post subject: Andrew D'Angelo
yeah you can tell when someone is completely at home with whatever instrument they play, it's an amazing thing. i like john zorn and eric dolphy for this reason too. i saw this band called setsubun bean unit a couple of months ago and there was a guy who played (if my memory serves correctly) alto (i think) sax and bass clarinet. he was pretty good too as far as i recall. i played clarinet for 10 years and got nowhere near that, i should probably take it up again because when i stopped having lessons to go to uni i wasn't really aware of how versatile wind instruments actually are.

wow i'm digressing already...but the underlying implication is that this guy is obviously not only a great person to be around (at least that's the impression i get from his blog) but also one of few who are totally committed to what they do and no doubt cares about it deeply.