Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Benjamin

Posted Tue Nov 24th, 2009 4:29am Post subject: Anxiety - mood stabilizers and hypnosis

Hello again.

For the four years that I've suffered anxiety and depression, the goal that has kept me most optimistic is not managing it, but eliminating it. I've been able to achieve a lot with SSRIs and self-therapy as a crutch, but I've felt that there could be a lot more I could do without anything holding me back at all; and, in turn, there is only so much one can achieve without the presence of a theoretical 'off' switch. Last week, for instance, I turned down a job after taking it and attending the first day of training because I didn't believe myself capable of doing the work and remaining calm enough to be sane at the same time.

What's prompted me to post my second thread here tonight is watching, strangely, the Secret Life again (nice catharsis to aid with insomnia), and seeing Stephen talk to Richard Dreyfuss, who explains that what he achieved due to the treatment of his condition wasn't due to courage, but a lack of discourage - i.e. the absence of anxiety. Needless to say, it got me thinking.

One alternative I've been considering for a while is hypnosis, though a couple of potential barriers vex me slightly:

Firstly, the cost. This isn't a potential barrier - this is real. I am dirt poor, have been since graduation and show no signs of being able to afford fifty quid a session for what may well last upwards of four or five visits.

Secondly, my broken, steam-punk like engineering superplex of a brain. With cogs turning at the slightest little thing - not to mention the anxiety that comes with my inability to shut it off - am I even hypnotisable?

The other thing the program made me think of and, indeed, the impetus for posting again, was the idea of going on mood stabilizers. I am aware that this is no fairweather commitment, and that certain symptoms I already suffer as a result of depression - i.e. reduced libedo, lack of motivation, apathy, tiredness etc - may be exacerbated by it - but then, this is also the case with SSRIs, and I don't see myself coming off them with gusto in the near future.

I suppose what I want to ask is whether or not anyone has, or knows anyone who has, had experience - positive, negative or neutral - or information about either of the above options or potential alternatives.

Finally, I'd like to apologize for the verbosity in my last two posts. At half three in the a m, my fingers continue to startle me by being far more motivated than my brain.

Peace and love, as Starky condescends.

I'm a histrionic, holistic, herculean halibut.

CLICK TO SEE MY BRAINS.

kashka

Posted Tue Nov 24th, 2009 12:29pm Post subject: Anxiety - mood stabilizers and hypnosis

Hi,
I have deciede not to write on the forum any more baut i am breaking this for you.look up http://www.mdf.org.uk
it gives a list of whats available. Threr are a lot of possible unpleasant or worse side effects. I suffer high anxiety too so I know its a tough choice.Oxycarbazepine was my choice but isnt licened in the uk for BP so I went for lamotragine, it so far has had no side effects other than vivid dreams, i take it at night, 25 mg but i am only 7 days into treatment, normally i get side effects easily. I am still on a sub therapeutic dose it s important to take it slow because of steven johnsons syndrom, I shouldnt be feeling effects yet but im definatley calmer.You can get more info on each drug with research on the net. Wikiepedia and medpedia. Good luck.x

The dark gift is different for each of us. But one thing is true for us all, we grow stronger as we go along. Just take my word for it.
From Interview with the Vampire

katysara

Posted Fri Nov 27th, 2009 6:49pm Post subject: Anxiety - mood stabilizers and hypnosis

You can get hypnotherapy on the NHS in some places - worth asking. I couldn't be hypnotised, whatever that says about me...

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

hypnomiss

Posted Mon Sep 17th, 2012 1:04am Post subject: Anxiety - mood stabilizers and hypnosis

Hello. I have been researching with some interest Stephen Fry's experience with hypnotherapy. I just wanted to point some people in the right direction when musing over the possibilities, and suspected limitations, that hypnotherapy (to which it is referred when used in the Clinical, rather than the entertainment, context) may hold.

Apart from being a registered Clinical Hypnotherapist I am also fiercely passionate about personal growth and change for all. I am very aware that this is an old post and I may have 'missed the boat' but I wanted to make a comment.

Myself, and many prominent therapists that use the tool that is the trance state, would argue that people LIVE trance states and that the trance state is a naturally occurring phenomena in ALL people. Whether you 'succeed' in going into a therapeutic trance state, whether it be in a clinical session or on a stage depends on key criteria being met.

- The therapist and client must have rapport. 'therapist/hypnotist'. This can be broadly discussed as trust but having met someone once to what extent you trust them is also linked to other factors. Rapport is the development of a level of trust that is conducive to the therapeutic method

- There must be present both conscious and unconscious (subconscious) desire for change/resolution

- There must be present both conscious and unconscious (subconscious) agreement to the procedure ie little or no resistance to the trance state

- The therapist MUST have the skills necessary to build rapport, develop an understanding of you, your preferred representational system (read more on this by Googling and reading NLP and Richard Bandler), and be able to put you at ease by doing so. They must also have the skills of detecting, recognising and resolving resistance before attempting any induction (trying to put you in a trance).

Any or all of the above factors being absent are likely to result in 'failure' to go into a therapeutic trance BUT trust me, if these conditions are present and met you will go into a trance.

You do it every day, remembering phone numbers, peoples faces, daydreaming, driving and singing songs in your head reminding you of events are all examples of trance states and we live them a large part of every single day.

I hope this clarifies some points and that you will read some more on this fascinating, and indisputably beneficial, tool that can help so so many sufferers among us.

I have suffered from depression, anxiety, loss of confidence, stammering and anger in the past and know how much it hurts. I fought it alone and developed my own strategies for healing. Only later I learned that these have been known and mapped in NLP and Hypnotherapy for years and a catalogue of further tools opened before me. I hope that these tools can one day be learned freely in schools so that further generations have no need of my services or any like them because they will be educated to help themselves and each other at an early age. What better, more effective parents, educators and individuals will our society be made of then?