Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

lovelock

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:04pm Post subject: Any advice welcome - I think my son is bipolar
Hi
I am writing as I watched Stephen's programme and decided that bipolar is the only way I can describe my son. For years I have thought my son was bipolar but no doctor has agreed with me fully. This programme was a confirmation for me, his may be mild compared to some people's but he is very depressed sometimes/often and can change and be very high, and then can be normal. He recently told his brother that he cries most days. His mood swings are dramatic and he is inconsolable when something gets him going - this could happen anywhere.

Please can you give me some addresses and names of doctors that may be-able to help him. He is now 17 and I am very worried about him. He has recently been seeing yet another psychologist, but its not enough, he has suggested drugs, but I'd like to know what other options are available.

Please help

meekychuppet

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:24pm Post subject: Any advice welcome - I think my son is bipolar
Patience.

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:26pm Post subject: Any advice welcome - I think my son is bipolar
Hello
What makes you think your son has Bipolar?

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:29pm Post subject: Any advice welcome - I think my son is bipolar
Sorry let me make that clear what makes YOU think he has it what have you noticed and when did you notice any changes?

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:42pm Post subject: Any advice welcome - I think my son is bipolar
Manic Depressive Fellowship
020-7793 2600
Email mdf@mdf.org.uk

Mental Health Foundation
020- 7535 7400
Email mhf@mentalhealth.org.uk

MIND
020-8519 2122
Email contact@mind.org.uk

Mood Swings Network
0161-953 4105

Mental Health Act Commision
0115-943 7100
Web http://www.mhac.trent.nhs.uk

Depression Allience
020-7633 0557

Mind sell a book called Coping with bipolar disorder
A guide to living with manic depression.
Please only buy these types of books after a definate diagnoses has been made. There is a lot to bipolar and it is easy to find things in a person that would point to that but it could be something else!

lovelock

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 2:12pm Post subject: Any advice welcome - I think my son is bipolar
I dont know for sure what is wrong but I havent found anything else that comes close to being how I would describe my son's behaviour. Incidently he acknowledges that he feels very differently about life and things generally to his peers, so do his peers.

My earleist concern was him talking about wishing he was dead at about the age of six, this trend has continued to him talking about dieing on a regular basis and that there was no point to living etc He for the most part has no concern or value of his own life; but sometimes he surprises us and is really upbet about everything, what he wants to achieve etc it is like living with different people. Then there is the balanced person that I relate to more as my son.

He also has a very addictive nature - a large concern he has been into hospital once for ODing on alcohol. There are many things that make me think he is - these are a few things.

May be it isnt bipolar but I would like someone who has a fuller understanding of this than me to speak with him. He wants help but doesn't know what to do he's also getting older and of course more concerned about being labelled. He is also dyslexic and hates the fact it makes him different.

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 2:40pm Post subject: Any advice welcome - I think my son is bipolar
If your GP is decent and he/ she has refered your son then at least the ball is rolling. Meeky is right though even though you want answers patience is the best thing BUT if you feel things are not going the way you thought keep on at them.
I went through years of going to a muppet GP and when i was refered it took months for the appointment. Just keep at it.
I know it's not much help but your son is not a one off Membership to the bipolar club is free and is for life and the membership list is very very long