Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 12:18am Post subject: Any bipolar/depressive teachers out there?
I'd be interested to hear from you and your experiences in the classroom and at school in general if anyone is comfortable with that.
I don't expect you to write it here.
If anyone would message me, I would be grateful.
Thank you.

panda

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 9:34am Post subject: Any bipolar/depressive teachers out there?
hiya
i used to teach, in the year after my MA, i was teaching third year american uni students in the uk. i used to love it and got very good feedback.
unfortunately it was freelance so became financially unviable. it was too stressful to make it work, particularly as i was heading for my first breakdown... in fact i think it contributed to it.
i thought about teaching as a staff position, but the only way i could do that would mean more studying. either training to be a school teacher. i didn't particularly want to do that because a) the subject i was teaching isn't a core curriculum subject in schools b) my parents were school teachers so apart from not wanting to do the same as my parents, i saw that although they loved it they found it stressful and frustrating (respectively) in the end. they now run their own business.
to teach permanently in a university i'd probably need to do a phd. there wasn't an area i really wanted to research, money would be v difficult, and i'm not sure i'd want the intensity and isolation of it.
i haven't written either of them off totally, but i haven't got a strong urge to do either either!
i did really enjoy the teaching - all aspects of it - researching, preparing, field trips, setting and marking essays and exams.
anyway, be interested to hear your experiences.

Maniac

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 11:56am Post subject: Any bipolar/depressive teachers out there?
Thanks, Panda.
I find that when I'm at school, I am alive.
It's the holidays that kill me as there is no routine.
I find that when in front of a class I can put on a show, it's effortless most of the time and I can let the creative side of me come out.
The main problem I have is motivating myself to do the paperwork and admin when outside of school. I often stop at school until silly hours at night to work or go in early so that I can 'get in the zone'.

The kids lift me and boost me and seeing 'the penny drop' makes my job more worth while.
I love it a lot which is why I sometimes have mad panics that I'll go downhill and mess up.
I have my sights set on a management position eventually - sooner rather than later hopefully - but am worried that if anyone at school finds out 'about me' that even if I'm coping perfectly well, it will go against me.

Teaching can be like acting - I get a thrill from it.
I enjoy young people's excitement and enthusiasm, they way they see the world, conversation about silly or complicated things. I love it all.
But this 'condition' could **** it all up for me!

Sorry to have gone on.
Thanks again
Maniac