Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AC

Posted Sat Apr 17th, 2010 9:22pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I am a total movie geek, and I especially love really old movies, despite my young age. Some of my favorites include All About Eve, On the Waterfront, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, and a lot of the old film noir/psychological thriller movies from the 1940s and 50s. My all-time favorite is (somewhat) more recent: The Godfather from 1972. I'm even writing a term paper on the most popular film genres of the 1930s for one of my classes right now, and I thoroughly enjoyed the research.
I'm always looking to talk old movies with any other fans, so if you're out there, I'd love to know some of your favorites from the past!

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Ambrosia

Posted Sun Apr 18th, 2010 9:36am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I'm a fan of some old movies. I like detective stories generally so I love films like "The Big Sleep" and "The Maltese Falcon". I also love "The Third Man" and the strange, off-kilter way it was shot. The zither music is so atmospheric. I like anything by Hitchcock, especially "Psycho" and "North by Northwest". "Vertigo" was a very strange film and I think probably ahead of its time. I never much cared for James Stewart as an actor (is that sacrilege?), but he's so out of his normal film persona in that film that he's brilliant and unexpected.

I'm sure there are a lot more old films I like, but I can't bring them all to mind and it would probably make my post far too long anyway!

zomgmouse

Posted Sun Apr 18th, 2010 3:43pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I can't say I exclusively like old films, or new films - I just like good films.

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

tito

Member *

Posted Tue Apr 20th, 2010 9:33pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I love old films. A lot of the ones already mentioned.

Arsenic and old lace is a favourite of mine. And from Hitchcock 'Rope'. Also a Hitchcock film 'The trouble with Harry' which was a black comedy and very funny.

British films: Billy Liar, Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, Get Carter and David Lean films.

'This Happy Breed' was written by Noel Coward as a play but turned into a film. A really good film.

'Blithe Spirit' another Noel Coward, starring Rex Harrison.

I'm stopping now, because I could ramble on for hours at this.

zomgmouse

Posted Thu Apr 22nd, 2010 2:09pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Oh alright: Favourite "old" films: Adam's Rib, Citizen Kane, Modern Times, Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

tito

Member *

Posted Thu Apr 22nd, 2010 4:32pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

zomgmouse said:
Oh alright: Favourite "old" films: Adam's Rib, Citizen Kane, Modern Times, Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Ditto these.

And:

The loneliness of a long distance runner
The prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Ryan's daughter
Annie Hall (Not that old but hilarious)
Dr Strangelove
Double Indemnity

AC

Posted Thu Apr 22nd, 2010 6:49pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I LOVE Double Indemnity! It's so good and 10 times scarier than any horror movie. Barbara Stanwyck's character is just so evil. Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is very good as well--Maggie Smith is brilliant, of course.

Another one I really love is Sunset Boulevard. I remember watching it last year with friends who had never seen it, and at the end they both just went "Wow..."

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

tito

Member *

Posted Thu Apr 22nd, 2010 9:19pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Sunset Boulevard is definitely another great one.

I also loved Whatever happened to Baby Jane?

Another couple of Hitchcocks:

Rear window
Rebecca

charlhussey

Posted Fri Apr 23rd, 2010 6:42am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I just love to watch television and I really like old movies. My favorite old movies are...
Citizen Kane
Arsenic and old lace
Modern Times.

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Apr 23rd, 2010 6:07pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Also Hobsons Choice and Victim (Dirk Bogarde)

Ambrosia

Posted Fri Apr 23rd, 2010 7:30pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I was reminded of a few more films I liked by other people on here.

Kind Hearts and Coronets
Scrooge (the Alistair Sim version)
The Ladykillers (the original)
Lawrence of Arabia
The Jungle Book
101 Dalmations

AC

Posted Fri Apr 23rd, 2010 7:35pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia all the way through, but it's on my to-do list when I go home for the summer. The music alone makes me want to watch it.

Another good one--The Lion in Winter, starring Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn. Two greats at their very best!

Ambrosia

Posted Fri Apr 23rd, 2010 8:10pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Peter O'Toole is at his most beautiful in "Lawrence of Arabia" - if that doesn't sound too superficial. It probably does!

I like "The Lion in Winter", too. And that film put me in mind of another historical drama - "A Man For All Seasons" which is also wonderful.

AC

Posted Fri Apr 23rd, 2010 9:54pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

It's okay to be superficial, Ambrosia--it would be rather difficult not to notice the gorgeousness of a young Peter O'Toole! When I saw him in How to Steal A Million, I really wanted to be Audrey Hepburn!

tito

Member *

Posted Sat Apr 24th, 2010 8:32pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Ambrosia, Peter O'Toole was thoroughly beautiful in Lawrence of Arabia.

The evidence:

http://www.allposters.com/images/73/039_69753.jpg