Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ambrosia

Posted Sun Apr 25th, 2010 8:51pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Beautiful photograph! Did either of you see him in "Casanova" with David Tennant, the Russell T. Davies television version? Loved that series. He still had that sex appeal and you could imagine him seducing the chambermaid even though she was 50 years his junior!

tito

Member *

Posted Sun Apr 25th, 2010 9:06pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Yes, I did. He was brilliant in it. Have you seen him in the film Venus as well?

(Another fab old film: Mildred Pierce)

zomgmouse

Posted Tue Apr 27th, 2010 2:30pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

"Double Indemnity"

Oh hey, I forgot that one. Great film.
Also: Duck Soup.

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

tito

Member *

Posted Wed Apr 28th, 2010 6:19pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

The night of the hunter. V good.

Ambrosia

Posted Thu Apr 29th, 2010 7:03pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I haven't seen "Venus", but I've heard about it. I'll look out for it on DVD or on television.

Was there ever a villain so creepy as Robert Mitchum in "The Night Of The Hunter"? Brilliant film - scary and yet magical.

AC

Posted Thu Apr 29th, 2010 7:46pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Another one I love is It Happened One Night with Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable. Such a cute movie.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Nitro

Posted Sun May 2nd, 2010 1:39pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I go all soft in the head when I think of Mr.O'Toole.

I think, not totally sure, but I think LOA was the last of the intermission films. Going to the movies for a little while there was a big night out. People dressed up and during intermission, lots of drinking and smoking. I can't imagine people have that sort of fun.

I'd watch LOA on dvd the same way ( just a suggestion from someone who's done that a few times lol ). Hit 'pause' about 45 minutes into it and have yourself an intermission at home

I didn't like 'Venus' as much as some, but it doesn't have anything to do with O'Toole's acting ability and I'd still recommend it, fwmoiw (nothing).

Ever seen The Stuntman? Terrific job, as usual...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVR_E8ZIjEA

Really? Wow.

AC

Posted Tue May 4th, 2010 4:16pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Anybody seen Some Like It Hot? Just watched it the other day. Some people claim it's the funniest movie of all time--I wouldn't go that far, but it is very funny nonetheless. The end is priceless.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

speckledband

Posted Tue May 4th, 2010 9:55pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

^Seen bit's of it. Do old, old Disney films count? Also I have seen too many "kitchen sink" dramas from the 60's to name them..(A Taste Of Honey,Saturday Night Sunday Morning.. &c) okay I named a couple.

tito

Member *

Posted Wed May 5th, 2010 2:55pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Some like it hot is my probably my favourite film. And my daughter's. But then we are both big M Monroe fans.

And Tony Curtis was lovely when he was young.

A kind of loving is another one.

I have just bought Billy Liar on dvd which is brilliant.

AC

Posted Wed May 5th, 2010 4:25pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Mentioned this one in my first post: anyone seen All About Eve? One of my all-time favorites, with one of the most brilliant screenplays of all time.

tito

Member *

Posted Wed May 5th, 2010 4:31pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I love this one also. I've always been a Bette Davis fan. And the screenplay is indeed brilliant.

I know it's mushy, and I don't usually like soppy films, but Now Voyager is another fave. I think it's Bette that makes it though.

AC

Posted Wed May 5th, 2010 5:43pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Tito said:
I love this one also. I've always been a Bette Davis fan. And the screenplay is indeed brilliant.

I know it's mushy, and I don't usually like soppy films, but Now Voyager is another fave. I think it's Bette that makes it though.

Now Voyager is a good one, and I'd say it is Bette that makes it work so well. I think you could say that about most of the melodrama films she was in. Most of them were incredibly formulaic, but her performances make them impressive and memorable. Same goes for Barbara Stanwyck in movies like Stella Dallas.

Speaking of Barbara Stanwyck, has anyone seen Sorry Wrong Number? No monsters and no zombies, but easily one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

tito

Member *

Posted Wed May 5th, 2010 6:21pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Stella Dalls: you have good taste. Wonderful film.

Sorry wrong number doesn't spring to mind. I'll look it up. I may have seen it and can't remember.

speckledband

Posted Thu May 6th, 2010 4:04pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I forgot to mention The Wizard of Oz.