Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

tito

Member *

Posted Thu May 6th, 2010 5:51pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

We have a good friend, an ex miner, in his fifties, proper rough working class bloke and The wizard of Oz is his favourite film. He's got it on DVD.

He loves it.

AC

Posted Thu May 6th, 2010 6:18pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

OMG I love The Wizard of Oz and have ever since I was a little kid. I just wrote a term paper on 1930s movies and got to write about it!!!
Speaking of great movies from 1939, any other Gone With The Wind fans out there? Got to include that in the paper too which was AWESOME! Over 70 years later it is still an absolutely magnificent film.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

crumejack

Posted Fri May 7th, 2010 6:16am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I like old movies also but not from any specific era. Seems like the oldies were decent - didn't have all the voilence, filth, sex, etc. of the newer movies.

zomgmouse

Posted Fri May 7th, 2010 6:53am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

They just didn't have the effects for it.
If you go pre-Hays code, though, you'll have plenty.

Also, speckledband, 60s films are not old.

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

AC

Posted Fri May 7th, 2010 7:01am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

zomgmouse said:

I beg to differ--films from the 1960s are now 40-50 years old. They're not from the "Golden Age" of Hollywood, but they're still pretty old.

It is definitely true about the Hays Code, though. 1931's The Public Enemy is pretty sordid, though still tame by today's standards.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

speckledband

Posted Fri May 7th, 2010 12:57pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

zomgmouse said:

Well for now(apart from Disney and The Wizard Of Oz),they are the oldest films I've seen, so ner!

Texas Skald

Posted Fri May 7th, 2010 9:34pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

As historically inaccurate as it is, I LOVE Lion in Winter. I love the story of the Angevin empire and the Devil's Brood, and even if there's mostly just poetic license in that movie its still fun to watch,

And...horror among horrors, I've never seen Wizard of Oz. I HAVE however seen many obscure old movies thanks to the wonderful world of Mike Nelson and the Bots on the Satellite of Love. Is that lost on everyone?

Not all who wander are lost. In fact those who do wander are a lot cooler than those who don't.

AC

Posted Sat May 8th, 2010 5:00am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Texas Skald said:
As historically inaccurate as it is, I LOVE Lion in Winter. I love the story of the Angevin empire and the Devil's Brood, and even if there's mostly just poetic license in that movie its still fun to watch,

And...horror among horrors, I've never seen Wizard of Oz. I HAVE however seen many obscure old movies thanks to the wonderful world of Mike Nelson and the Bots on the Satellite of Love. Is that lost on everyone?

I strongly encourage you to check The Wizard of Oz out. It's not a favorite with everybody, but it's a classic that everyone should see at least once.

The Lion in Winter is fantastic. A brilliantly acted and written film with one of my favorite lines from any movie ever: "He came down from the north to Paris with a mind like Aristotle's and a form like mortal sin. We shattered the commandments on the spot." Legendary!

Texas Skald

Posted Sat May 8th, 2010 5:56am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

AnCBeck23 said:
I strongly encourage you to check The Wizard of Oz out. It's not a favorite with everybody, but it's a classic that everyone should see at least once.

The Lion in Winter is fantastic. A brilliantly acted and written film with one of my favorite lines from any movie ever: "He came down from the north to Paris with a mind like Aristotle's and a form like mortal sin. We shattered the commandments on the spot." Legendary!

I just...couldn't handle the Munchkins on my first attempt...eek.

The dialogue is so wonderful in Lion in Winter. Perhaps my favorite line ever, "He's got a knife!" "Of course he's got a knife, we've all got knives, it's 1183 and we're all barbarians!"

Not all who wander are lost. In fact those who do wander are a lot cooler than those who don't.

tito

Member *

Posted Sun May 9th, 2010 1:27pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Big ditto on the Lion in Winter. Wonderful.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 2:44am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I <3 the Lion in Winter.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Texas Skald

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 3:46am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Can we start a Lion in Winter squee thread or something?

On the same subject matter and actor playing Henry II, Becket is a good movie. Again, pretty inaccurate and made more for drama than historical truth, but well acted with great dialogue. Kinda silly in some parts. Funny to see a younger Henry though. And Richard Burton is good in his flat yet amazing voice.

AC

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 3:54am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Yes, Becket is quite good as well. Not as good as Lion in Winter but still very enjoyable. Put a young Peter O'Toole and a young Richard Burton in the same movie and I will be entertained

Texas Skald

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 4:00am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I liked the contrast of the acting...which is about identical to the contrast between Becket and Henry in actuality. Of course the casting choice for Eleanor and Matilda was a bit, erm...off.

And...is it just me, or does Burton use the EXACT same face/voice in every role he plays? Antony, Marcellus, Faust...ah well, he was good.

AC

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 4:20am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Burton's acting was a bit limited, but hey, when someone's got that lovely of a voice, it's forgivable