Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Texas Skald

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 4:21am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Very very true. The voice is a huge thing for me. Poor Marlon Brando. He was so good...and yet he had that tiny little voice.

Not all who wander are lost. In fact those who do wander are a lot cooler than those who don't.

AC

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 5:32am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Speaking of Marlon Brando...On the Waterfront. WOW WOW WOW.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Texas Skald

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 5:37am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Or Mutiny on the Bounty. REALLY good acting from him there.

Not all who wander are lost. In fact those who do wander are a lot cooler than those who don't.

AC

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 6:19am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Will have to check it out sometime. And then of course there's always The Godfather, my absolute all-time favorite movie. Though as great as Brando is in that, I associate that movie more with Al Pacino.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Texas Skald

Posted Tue May 11th, 2010 5:15am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

it's quite sad, I've actually NEVER seen The Godfather. Very sad...I just can't handle the horse part.

AC

Posted Tue May 11th, 2010 5:51am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Texas Skald said:
it's quite sad, I've actually NEVER seen The Godfather. Very sad...I just can't handle the horse part.

I have to admit, the horse part still makes me cringe, but do try to watch for the rest of it. I promise, you will be AMAZED at how good it is--great writing, great acting, visually stunning in its accuracy to the time period. The baptism scene still takes my breath away--truly one of the greatest scenes in film history.
Sorry, I could go on about the greatness of The Godfather for days. I just love it that much!

zomgmouse

Posted Wed May 12th, 2010 2:25pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Overrated. Yes, it's a pretty good film - but it's certainly not brilliant. I didn't really enjoy it either.
But it is something you have to watch.
It's also not an old film, so I'm not sure why it's been mentioned!

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

AC

Posted Wed May 12th, 2010 4:04pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

zomgmouse said:
Overrated. Yes, it's a pretty good film - but it's certainly not brilliant. I didn't really enjoy it either.
But it is something you have to watch.
It's also not an old film, so I'm not sure why it's been mentioned!

Why are you so obsessed with whether something counts as an "old" film or not?

zomgmouse

Posted Thu May 13th, 2010 11:22am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Because we're in the old movie thread.

Twitter

To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

AC

Posted Thu May 13th, 2010 3:49pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

The Godfather is almost 40 years old. I'd consider that old. Just saying.

speckledband

Posted Thu May 13th, 2010 8:51pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

AnCBeck23 said:
The Godfather is almost 40 years old. I'd consider that old. Just saying.

Good lord is it really? I think zomgmouse means old as in very very old...

AC

Posted Thu May 13th, 2010 9:27pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Yes, The Godfather was released in 1972. I realize that I'm probably younger than a lot of people here, so what I consider an old movie might be a little different. That said, I consider 1972 to be at the much later end of "old" movies. I feel like movies changed a lot during/after the mid 1970s.

Besides, The Godfather is my favorite movie and I just like having an excuse to mention it

zomgmouse

Posted Fri May 14th, 2010 12:59pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I'm 18. I don't think 70s films are old. 60s is pushing it. I think that because those are the years of my parents' youth, and my parents aren't old, the films don't seem so either. Maybe what I see as old is what happened before the birth of my parents.
Yes, in the 1970s there was a big explosion of good cinema and especially counterculture (I assume that little thing called the Vietnam war had some form of influence), which probably came into full swing with Easy Rider in 1969.
In the late 50s and early 60s a lot of European cinema was coming to the forefront, especially the French New Wave. American cinema took a lot from the Europeans.
You also had the gradual expiration of the relevance of the Hays Code, perhaps beginning with Psycho in 1960, which wasn't given approval and yet became a huge hit and classic.

Twitter

To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

AC

Posted Fri May 14th, 2010 3:20pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Perhaps 70s films are better considered "older" rather than "old" (some distinction, I know LOL). But anyway, let's go for some old old movies now

Speaking of the Hays code (and I did mention this earlier, I think), has anyone seen The Public Enemy? There's an oldie for you--1931. They had the Hays code by then, but you can tell it was soooo not being enforced! I mean it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if released today, but it was quite shocking to moviegoers back then, I think.

And (and how in the world did I not mention this one before?!?!?!) has anyone seen Laura? It's from the mid 1940s and stars Gene Tierney and Clifton Webb. Fantastic film, check it out if you haven't seen it.

Nitro

Posted Fri May 14th, 2010 3:51pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

The debate about what is 'old' or not was interesting to read

It's easier in my mind to simply make the split between silent and 'talkies'. To me, the silent era is 'old' par excellence

AnC..if you like Godfather, have you seen Mean Streets, also by Scorsese? pardon my spelling..

Don't hate me, but I also agree that The Godfather is over-rated. That's not a judgement on your tastes btw. Just my own opinion, fwhateveriw.

I liked The Sting a lot once upon a time, but sure there are film historians somewhere, or critics, who would say the same to me as what I said about The Godfather That's OK. Everyone's different. Thankfully, else it would be a boring world indeed if we all thought the same, looked the same, and acted the same. *shudder*

Really? Wow.