Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Fri May 14th, 2010 5:38pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

on the waterfront!!

for a gangster film, anyways...

i think a bunch of my faves have lready been mentioned... and some are newer than others...

sunset boulevard
rear window
grand hotel
bringing up baby
desk set
oh AUNTIE MAME! the one with rosalind russell.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

tito

Member *

Posted Fri May 14th, 2010 5:45pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Good choices. Rear Window is wonderful. I also love Rope.

Husband's choice:
African Queen

Whisky Galore

Moby Dick

AC

Posted Fri May 14th, 2010 9:02pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Nitro said:
The debate about what is 'old' or not was interesting to read

It's easier in my mind to simply make the split between silent and 'talkies'. To me, the silent era is 'old' par excellence

AnC..if you like Godfather, have you seen Mean Streets, also by Scorsese? pardon my spelling..

Don't hate me, but I also agree that The Godfather is over-rated. That's not a judgement on your tastes btw. Just my own opinion, fwhateveriw.

No hate, as long as you don't say The Godfather is actually a BAD movie, which some people have said. Then I will get mad. I haven't seen Mean Streets but it is in my Netflix queue. I loved Taxi Driver and Raging Bull so I'm guessing I will enjoy that one too. Yay Scorsese and De Niro!

Another gangster film, and another oldie: Angels with Dirty Faces from 1938. James Cagney is awesome. Just saying.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

zomgmouse

Posted Sat May 15th, 2010 5:13am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

also by Scorsese

The Godfather was Coppola, not Scorsese!

as long as you don't say The Godfather is actually a BAD movie

Just for the record, I don't like the film although it is very good (but overrated).

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

zomgmouse

Posted Sat May 15th, 2010 5:15am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

And here are a few more old films:
The Thirty-Nine Steps
Shadow of a Doubt
Man with a Movie Camera
Anchors Aweigh

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

AC

Posted Sat May 15th, 2010 6:06am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

zomgmouse said:

also by Scorsese

The Godfather was Coppola, not Scorsese!

Whoops, I didn't catch that!

How about Gaslight (1944), starring Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer? Terrific film noir. It's pretty obvious pretty early on what's happening, yet that doesn't make it any less scary.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

tito

Member *

Posted Sat May 15th, 2010 2:57pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Black Narcissus. I don't know if I've already mentioned it.

Gaslight is wonderful.

AC

Posted Fri May 21st, 2010 1:37am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

*facepalm* I had forgotten a great one--Leave Her to Heaven from 1945! Haven't seen it in a long time, but it is fantastic. It's a film noir (but in color, which is unusual) starring the beautiful Gene Tierney as a very jealous and possessive woman.

Also, has anyone seen The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, starring Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison? It's a bit sappy, of course, but very romantic and sweet.

tmidir

Posted Fri May 21st, 2010 8:02pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

jimmy cagney, white heat. classic old syle gangster movies cannot be beaten, "why, you dirty rat!" the ghost and mrs muir is a beautiful film. the ghosts of berkley square is a great movie....there are so many when I start to think! Most universal and rko films of the thirties and fourties were classics.

ni or ecky ecky ptang ptang....I just can\'t decide!

AC

Posted Fri May 21st, 2010 11:16pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Cagney is great. I haven't seen White Heat but it's in my Netflix queue. I watched a couple of his gangster movies for a term paper and was really impressed.

tmidir

Posted Mon May 24th, 2010 1:31am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

angels with dirty faces, fab!

ni or ecky ecky ptang ptang....I just can\'t decide!

lencemark

Posted Wed Jun 2nd, 2010 5:50am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I like old movies also but not from any specific era. Seems like the oldies were decent - didn't have all the violence, filth, sex, etc. of the newer movies.

Chelle

Posted Mon Jun 7th, 2010 3:22pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I love old movies...especially the comedy's, my fave has to be Some Like it Hot but I'll quite happily sit through any of the old classics.

AC

Posted Mon Jun 7th, 2010 4:38pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Last night I watched From Here to Eternity (1953), starring Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Donna Reed, and Frank Sinatra. It was everything I'd heard it would be. Excellent.

Leiter

Posted Fri Jun 11th, 2010 1:54pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I cannot say I have seen many old movies. I liked those I saw, the Kubrick movies, the Godfather, some of Kieslowski's. But my favourite are by far the 1910-1925 expressionist movies; Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the Golem, Metropolis (mostly for Rudolf Klein-Rogge's performance as Rotwang), and later, Der Blaue Engel and Cocteau's Beauty and the beast.

to Nietzsche's old credo "live dangerously" I have always responded with my "live cozily"

A. B.