Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

olivertWisted

Posted Wed Jul 14th, 2010 2:28pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

À propos de Nice (1930) - silent, documentary & gorgeouse! Jean Vigo didn't need a sound
http://www.archive.org/details/A_propos_de_Nice - to download
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/À_propos_de_Nice - to read about

This is your home now, Joe.

RonaK

Posted Thu Jul 15th, 2010 6:14am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I am a big fan of some of the old movies and Hitchcock in particular...

Some of my favourites are:

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Rear Window
The Passion of Joan of Arc (1929) (I am not religious but this silent movie is absolutely amazing)
Dr. Zhivago
Rebecca
Black Narcissus
Send me No Flowers
A Streetcar Named Desire
Spartacus
Ben Hur

Thats all I can remember for now

zomgmouse

Posted Fri Jul 16th, 2010 8:53am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

olivertWisted said:
À propos de Nice (1930) - silent, documentary & gorgeouse! Jean Vigo didn't need a sound
http://www.archive.org/details/A_propos_de_Nice - to download
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/À_propos_de_Nice - to read about

This was only gorgeous to demonstrate the excesses of rich society, lost in their own world. Very well done, it was.
But speaking of Vigo, L'Atalante was brilliant.

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

ginyjhon

Posted Fri Aug 27th, 2010 12:41pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I am a big old movie fan. I really like to watch old movies.."Send me No Flowers" is my most favorite old movie..

Ellis.George

Posted Sat Sep 4th, 2010 9:06pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

The Mad Max series was amazing. My father owns the DVD box set of it.

Squeek. Miaw. Woof. Rawr.

zomgmouse

Posted Mon Sep 6th, 2010 3:55pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

That's hardly old, though, is it?

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

Captain Feeney

Posted Fri Oct 8th, 2010 6:08pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Almost anything with James Cagney, but esp. these:

White Heat
Angels With Dirty Faces
The Roaring Twenties
Public Enemy

Jane Gallagher

Posted Sat Oct 9th, 2010 2:37pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Favourite old one has to be To Kill A Mocking Bird. Very true to the wonderful book by Harper Lee and perfect casting.

Here's to it and to it and to it again. And if you don't do it when you come to it, may you never come to it to do it again. x

kvnfrnk

Posted Wed Dec 15th, 2010 8:47am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Two Mules For Sister Sara is one of my favorite movies and funny as well.

zap

Posted Thu Dec 16th, 2010 1:13am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

One of my all time favorites - Reach for the Sky (The Douglas Bader Story), closely followed by School for Scoundrels (1959)

A child of five could understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho

Ambrosia

Posted Sun Dec 26th, 2010 2:53pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Having seen it many times on television, I was lucky enough to see the 1951 version of "Scrooge" at the cinema just before Christmas. In my view, Alastair Sim is one of the finest comedic actors there has ever been. In this, he manages to make Scrooge a tragic, moving, sympathetic, hilarious and completely believable character. I don't think this Dickens' story has ever been bettered on film.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jan 14th, 2011 3:52am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I think I must've put squished a pillow around my face when someone commented that Burtons acting was 'a bit limited'. I did that because whoever thinks it is insane. That's right...in-sane.

I'd lean more to saying DeNiro's acting is 'limited' if by that you mean the actor seems to be the same from one role to the next. I find that far more true for DeNiro than Burton any day of the week. If you disagree, please meet me out back and bring your boxing gloves

But back to movies...so many listed here by you guys keep coming back up, I think, because they just simply achieved a thing. Stood out from the pack and still do. That's no Retro-Addiction speaking either.

The Wizard of Oz...I knew someone once who could recite every single line of every character in the movie. It only took three beers to get her started. I only ever bought her two after a few times. But there's something really charming watching an adult enthusiastically go in to Cowardly Lion mode. I'm ambivalent now about the movie because it was mandatory watching, once a year, while growing up.

Will mention, as always, The Crazy Ray. There's just something about that film, probably the story itself, that captivates me all the way through.

Really? Wow.

AC

Posted Fri Jan 14th, 2011 6:19am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I'm not familiar enough with Burton's acting to say whether it was limited or not (I'm not the one who said it was, am I? LOL). But either way, who cares with that fabulous voice he had?

I'm a fan of DeNiro; some of his early performances (Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver and Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull, for example) were AMAZING, at least I think so. I understand why someone might find his range a bit limited, though. And he needs to give up on these Fockers movies already. Just the trailers make me cringe.

Anyone seen Lawrence of Arabia? I just watched it this week. To be honest, I didn't worry too much about following every detail of the story, because I already knew it was fairly inaccurate. However, the scenery is stunning, and the music is gorgeous. And I think Peter O'Toole's performance was phenomenal. What a way to start a film career. Come to think of it, he's pretty gorgeous in that movie too.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

susanstewart1

Posted Fri Jan 14th, 2011 6:30am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I don't know why but I really like the film 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir' and also Black Narcissus that film sh!t me right up. And of course The God Father. I loved Jason and the Argonaughts as a kid And that genre.

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry

AC

Posted Fri Jan 14th, 2011 7:36am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I can't believe I forgot to mention it before: Singin' in the Rain! Great dancing, great songs, and surprisingly critical of the whole Hollywood thing, albeit in a gentle and funny kind of way. Love it.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde