Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Fri Jan 14th, 2011 6:20pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

*waving hand* Here! Here!

I enjoy old movies very much.
Even very old movies.
I'm excited whenever I watch silent movies no matter how primitive they might had been. I also watched a 1903 version (and first movie version at all) of "Alice in Wonderland". This was even after I went to see the 2010 Tim Burton version. The 1903 version is heavily damaged, I guess some scenes were so damaged that they were cut out. But it's still amazing!
I think the same when I watch cartoons.

I also own DVDs and documentaries of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton (two of my favourite actors). And movies from the 1920s and 1930s are also interesting.

Not-so-old movies can also be in my favourite movies list.
Like "The Great Escape" from 1962 (is this already old in this thread? ).

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Fri Jan 14th, 2011 6:22pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Whoops!
Please erase this post, there has been a problem. Thank you!

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 22nd, 2011 3:09am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Tabasco, I think you're having the same problem with double posts a lot of us have had I don't know if 1962 qualifies as 'old' from the OP's pov, maybe they'll say. I think I would consider it so, but I'm not the OP. I'd think 1903 certainly does though!!

I heard a stat once that somewhere above 75% ( that's SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT lol ) of all old films were destroyed in their tins due to their intensity of silver nitrate. A horrible, horrible loss but they didn't know then how brittle in a relatively short period of time it would make the film. You can imagine the heartbreak of opening up a can of the original only to see it in a totally irreparable state. It's sad on so many levels and for so many reasons.

I say again some really great films have been mentioned.

"Burton vs DeNiro: Part 2" I think it comes out March 7th.

I really lost it with DeNiro when I saw Cape Fear. Worst farking excuse of a southern accent from an acclaimed actor ( ok, maybe not THE worst, but it didn't help ). I mean, Anthony Hopkins 'Hannibal Lector' mocking Starling's West Virginia accent was better in a few sentences than DeNiro's entire film attempt, and more time at it.

It's true. I have DeNiro issues Sorry. I guess being hailed as America's greatest actor allows you to make routine comedies at some point.

But Zap, if you're reading this, can you say something more about the films you mentioned? I have never heard of them before. In fact any I've not heard of before intrigue me and am enjoying reading ya'lls replies very much.

Really? Wow.

AC

Posted Sat Jan 22nd, 2011 6:27pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

In answer to your question, Nitro, I consider 1962 to be in the old movie category, though I know not everyone does. In my ever subjective view, anything before the early 1970s can qualify as an "old" movie. I say this because I find the early 1970s, from what I've observed, is when films started changing in a number of ways.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 22nd, 2011 9:18pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

In what ways?

Really? Wow.

AC

Posted Sun Jan 23rd, 2011 6:19pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Well, I'm no film historian, but when I watch films from the early 70s or so and compare them to previous films, I find the ones from the 70s onward were more explicit about language, sex, and violence, which I don't really consider to be either good or bad, just different. Films in the 1970s, from what I've observed, also became more realistic in their settings, their portrayals of terrible things like war, and in showing "bad" people in a more complex light--and sometimes even making it less clear who the good and bad guys were. Like I said, these are all just amateur observations from the films I've watched. Obviously a lot of these changes started in the 1960s, but I think during the 1970s they became more mainstream and more accepted by audiences.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Nitro

Posted Mon Jan 24th, 2011 3:33am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I'm not a film historian either. But were one here, they'd take us both to task, I'm sure

Thanks for expounding on your viewpoint. I agree with you, fwiw, that if you just look at the hmmm..'mainstream' types of releases, there was at least a fixation on stuff like over-population, conspiracy, government control, ecology ( e.g. 'Blue Water, White Death', I think pre-ceeded "Jaws" - but same idea...lurking sea monster gonna getcha!! ) and ecological monstrosities, weird warfare, etc. Not exactly typical monsters like Dracula and Frankenstein...violent extraterrestrials...

Maybe things haven't really changed that much? I guess we're more concerned with guys who can beat the living crap out of a hundred other guys with their bare fists while saving the free world from one evil geek. Or shoot them all to death.

Still, the 70's also had the gem "Harold & Maude" which was not really very much like Coma or Network or The Deer Hunter, was it?

Really? Wow.

AC

Posted Mon Jan 24th, 2011 11:35pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I don't think I've mentioned this film before, but it's worth sharing: So Proudly We Hail, released in 1943 at the height of WWII. It might be easy to brush off as a propaganda movie, but there is more to it than that. It's about the nurses who were subjected to the Bataan Death March. While it's not as graphically violent as a similar film made today probably would be, it is one of the most emotionally brutal movies I've ever seen--sad to the point of heartbreaking sometimes, though there are hopeful moments too. What I think is particularly special about this movie is that it focuses on women, namely military nurses, and the sacrifices and struggles they had to deal with during the war--something most war movies overlook.

SillyTilly

Posted Mon Feb 21st, 2011 4:43pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

I love, love, love old movies!

My favourites I think must be Freaks, Little Women (the one with elizabeth taylor), Gone With The Wind, The Time Machine, The Werewolf Meet me in st louis and, maybe not so old but, Charlie and the chocolate factory with Gene Wilder (gene wilder = the love;)

aahhh old movies<3

vvslaura

Posted Wed Jun 22nd, 2011 8:40am Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

SUSPENSE always had great guest stars--not to mention top-drawer writing and direction. I love "Three Skeleton Key" and "The Hitch-Hiker," too. There's one episode with Cary Grant that's great. He and his wife pick up a hitchiker and it's dark suspense from there on out. Wish I could remember the name of it.

Georgia Nostrand

Posted Sat Jul 7th, 2012 11:06pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

vvslaura said:
SUSPENSE always had great guest stars--not to mention top-drawer writing and direction. I love "Three Skeleton Key" and "The Hitch-Hiker," too. There's one episode with Cary Grant that's great. He and his wife pick up a hitchiker and it's dark suspense from there on out. Wish I could remember the name of it.

"Rosebud", ever the cliche, representing innocent memory of childhood. I enjoy coming in on an old movie, looking at the garments and speech habits and guessing the year movie was made. Enjoy comfort of old times that will never change.

thankyouSF

Georgia Nostrand

Posted Sat Jul 7th, 2012 11:09pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

"I'm Gump. Forrest Gump." Sweet innocent mildly retarded adult just wanting to do the right thing.

thankyouSF

keith69

Posted Tue Nov 20th, 2012 7:31pm Post subject: Any old movie fans out there?

Err,ol Fylnn Olivia de Haliland, Bogie Jimmy cagney Laurence Oliver and joan Fontaine(Rebecca) Jimmy stewart Cary Grant marx borthers Stan and ollie oh i could go on.

If anybody knows where I could get a region 2 dvd in english of the strawberry blonde - jimmy cagney and olivia de haviland I would appreciate it if you could lety me knw.

Thanks