Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

RighthoJeeves

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 5:51pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I have manic depression, but my father does not but one thing we do share in common(among other things) is that we talk to ourselves as I have mentioned. I can never hear what he is saying because he whispers most the time when he does or its in another language ( He is a Russian Linguist-retired) Who knows but if I am ever in a place alone even in the house and it gets too quiet, I start a conversation, makes me feel better.

Amoeba

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 6:50pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I do that too. I live away from my friends so I always went to school and back home alone and I had to entertain myself somehow and thats when that "habit" started. I either make up conversations I wish I had with people I know or famous people. Or I think about situations I could have handled better. I got caught a few times, like once I started yelling a bit on the street and scared an old lady and my maths teacher some me mumbling something once.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Jun 1st, 2007 2:19pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
All the time, and no matter whether Low, Fine or High. ' have had some great conversations with myself too.
Have certainly sorted out a few problems. Well... have come to terms with some of them a little more I guess.
xox
Pete

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 11:58pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
does anyone know it there is any explanation for this? is there a name for it? is it a disorder? what causes it? i have so many questions i really thought i was the only one who did that! and i started to dislike myself alot for it, like it REALLY bothers me...all the time now and i hate it....

Red Raven

Posted Mon Mar 17th, 2008 1:36am Post subject: Anyone else do this?
does anyone know it there is any explanation for this? is there a name for it? is it a disorder? what causes it? i have so many questions i really thought i was the only one who did that! and i started to dislike myself alot for it, like it REALLY bothers me...all the time now and i hate it....

I really don't think that talking to yourself in this way is a disorder at all. I think it's probably something that a lot of people do in some way or other and it's helpful to them. I've done it since I was a kid and I thought I was a freak for it but I've asked a lot of people about it(both people dealing with depression/mental illness and people that aren't) and many of them have said they do it too.

I do this at least once a day. Sometimes it's to try to sort out a problem, sometimes to try a conversation again, sometimes I just do it if I'm lonely. If I know I have to talk to someone about something touchy or important I'll run over what I'd like to say to them a few times to myself to figure out the best way to say it.

Don't be ashamed of it. Hell, I've had imaginary conversations with some of the people on this forum at some point or other. Doesn't embarrass me one bit! Hopefully some day it'll be a real face to face conversation tho. I prefer those. X-D

JSKanga84

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 4:09am Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I've been having imaginary conversations with non-present persons my entire life. I was always an imaginative kid, and an only child, so it's just a logical thing for me to speak aloud to 'someone' but I think we all do it at some point. Perfectly normal.

benson

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 6:13am Post subject: Anyone else do this?
i agree with JSkanga. i do this all the time and never thought there was something wrong with it. i also had an imaginary friend when i was younger.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 9:55am Post subject: Anyone else do this?
'Pobby and Dingan' by Ben Rice is all about imaginary friends, and what humans do to maintain connection. 90 pages of pure bliss.

C

whatonearth

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 11:51pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I always feel like such a bitch when I post in this section of the forum, but is this really anything to do with manic depression? I do this all the time, I live in a fantasy world half the time when I'm on my own and yet as far as I know I don't have any mental illnesses. Maybe a bit more unstable than most but then I have no way of knowing that and maybe everyone's the same. But anyway, this kind of thing is completely normal and again, although I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to genuine mental illness, I do sometimes worry when I see threads like this in this section because it makes me wonder if some people are inclined to attribute perfectly normal human 'quirks' to their mental illness, and as a result further distancing themselves from what they believe is normal and potentially feeling more isolated.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, there is no expert knowledge there whatsoever but I don't mean any harm by what I say, I just don't want everyone who has mental health issues to feel that everything they do is abnormal when in fact it isn't, it just isn't talked about publicly that much.

Red Raven

Posted Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 2:15am Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I agree with you mockingbird, like I said in a previous post, I've asked a lot of friends and family members(most of which are not mentally ill) and they do it too. I feel it's completely normal. The way I see it, a person that doesn't talk to him/herself is very lonely indeed.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 4:12pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I do it all the time. As a matter of fact not only do I talk to myself, but I talk to my dogs and my horses too. It's never once occurred to me that there was anything wrong with it. How 'bout that?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Red Raven

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 4:58pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I do it all the time. As a matter of fact not only do I talk to myself, but I talk to my dogs and my horses too. It's never once occurred to me that there was anything wrong with it. How 'bout that?

I talk to my doggie too. He's a great conversationalist.

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 10:09pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
Often I have found myself thinking "I'm talking to you and you're not even here!". It is often Stephen, or sometimes friends.

girlleastlikelyto

Posted Thu Mar 27th, 2008 5:42pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
I do it all the time too

Poppy

Posted Thu Mar 27th, 2008 9:17pm Post subject: Anyone else do this?
Its such a relief to know that I am not alone in this, as I find myself doing it all the time! X-D