Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TripsOverHisCats

Posted Sat Oct 16th, 2010 1:14pm Post subject: anyone here had to care for parents?

They really didn't send an ambulance?! What the...?! Even if it had been some sort of stomach bug, those can get dangerous for elderly people, too, but hey, why care? ARGH!

As for sensitivity: That kind of treatment seems to be sadly common - not only in the US. My mother was asked for a signature once while in the middle of paranoid hallucinations. Or wait two days until one of the nurses was kind enough to walk two steps over to her bag and give her her teeth. Then again, you can get extremely lucky with hospital staff, too... I just wish it wasn't like buying lottery tickets.

I really, really hope everything's alright now.

If, with the literate, I am
Impelled to try an epigram,
I never seek to take the credit;
We all assume that Oscar said it.
* Dorothy Parker

boilerman

Posted Sat Oct 16th, 2010 7:05pm Post subject: anyone here had to care for parents?

Loads of sympathy gadgetgirl I feel for you.I too have had similar treatment by the NHS but wont bore you with that.Our health service is vastly overated in my opinion even if you have all your marbles.
Go smash an egg at a wall,it really does help

TripsOverHisCats

Posted Thu Nov 25th, 2010 10:15pm Post subject: anyone here had to care for parents?

Sorry in advance for this one. It still has to happen.

1.) Hello! I still exist. I don't know if this is good or bad. We'll see.
2.) My mum moved. Or, more precise, I moved my mum. All on my f***ing own. Almost. Still. Grateful for what little help I had. But it really would have helped if they hadn't left me hanging as soon as the boxes were out of the car. Ugh.
3.) She STILL has to live on my couch for the weekend. After all the stress I had it drives me crazy. I just want to be left ALONE.
4.) Yes, that's because the flat still isn't finished. I just want to smash in some windows, instead I'll have to clean them. And fix the sink. And so on, and so on...
5.) ...while my mother sits on a chair and does nothing because she's physically unable to help. BUT she'll be able to yell commands and complain.
6.) Someone shoot me. Shoot me now.

* Dorothy Parker

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Nov 26th, 2010 12:11am Post subject: anyone here had to care for parents?

Deep breaths Trips, deep breaths. How many days do you have to survive? Feel free to scream...

That would be me.

TripsOverHisCats

Posted Fri Nov 26th, 2010 4:18pm Post subject: anyone here had to care for parents?

Three days, gadgetgirl, thanks for the offer - I'm more the ranting type. At least I hope it's only three days. I'm in the office right now, far away from her, but the thought of coming back home to have to watch "Sissi" for the umpteenth unbidden time in my life makes my skin crawl so much I can't concentrate on my work - hence the posting. I'm twelve again. This is hell. If I hear another "Very nice, dear" in that particular tone (depressive episode, she can't help hating everything right now, I guess) anytime after Sunday afternoon, for at least a week, there'll be tragedy. I hope for a wonder. Like the sink fixing itself. Or her cupboard building itself. At least the curtains could get in place themselves - they'll just hang around for the rest of their existence, anyway...

* Dorothy Parker

caera

Posted Thu Nov 17th, 2011 11:08am Post subject: anyone here had to care for parents?

You care appoint a caregiver for them who will help them in doing their routine work like cooking, cleaning, bathing. But as you said that they are spending their time in hospital so it will be good for them if you shift them in any Nursing home. You can take help of local authorities in finding a good nursing home.