Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

alan2here

Posted Thu Feb 17th, 2011 11:29pm Post subject: Anything you say to them suddenly, out of nowhere, they'd just do it.

"They would do it. They would just do it. Anything you say to them suddenly, out of nowhere, they'd just do it. The other one is a need, compulsively, to repeat foreign phrases."

Fry is talking about a condition in an episode of QI. It seems like he states that this is Tourette's but due I am not sure.

I can't find evedence that Tourette's Syndrome contains these two conditions. I'm looking for more information about these conditions, could somone help me out please.

Apple

Posted Fri Feb 18th, 2011 7:43am Post subject: Anything you say to them suddenly, out of nowhere, they'd just do it.

Something like the Canadian Lumberjack Syndrome.
Ah, here we go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_Frenchmen_of_Maine

Honest to god, ducks are rapists. Also, dolphins.

alan2here

Posted Sat Feb 19th, 2011 4:04pm Post subject: Anything you say to them suddenly, out of nowhere, they'd just do it.

Thanks. This is really useful.

I think a considerably more subtle version of the reflex bug described in the article and a version of it that dosn't require the sudden touch but just an unexpected command or event question or statement triggers a sort of "without thinking about it" response is fairly common.