Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

meekychuppet

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 9:45am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
The talk of buying computers because of their colour makes you girls sound a bit dense.

I think only one person mentioned colour....and anyway, the fact that every guy I know uses Axe body spray despite its horrible smell and the moronic commercials that somehow actually convince you guys to buy it doesn't say much for your sex either.

Measuring a quantative element like colour against a subjective element like smell indicates that one doe snot know what one is talking about.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 10:13am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk

Measuring a quantative element like colour against a subjective element like smell indicates that one doe snot know what one is talking about.

Colour is certainly not a quantitative element.

filliamhmuffin

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 10:16am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
The talk of buying computers because of their colour makes you girls sound a bit dense.

I think only one person mentioned colour....and anyway, the fact that every guy I know uses Axe body spray despite its horrible smell and the moronic commercials that somehow actually convince you guys to buy it doesn't say much for your sex either.

i honestly don't think that either of us are really saying anything. certainly we aren't saying anything of any importance. in summary:

you: girls consider colour when it comes to computer, therefore girls are dumb.

me: boys are pretty dumb too.

see? there. now we don't need to say anything more at all.

meekychuppet

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 11:30am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
you: girls consider colour when it comes to computer, therefore girls are dumb.

No, I consider that anyone who values colour above spec when buying a computer to be dumb. You believe that because the perpetrator in this case is a woman that I am being sexist. I am not.

me: boys are pretty dumb too.

No, you think that males who use a certain deodorant which you happen not to like to be dumb. Narcissus much? I got news for ya - males are not perennially insecure like females. We don't choose deodorant because women like it.

If you're going to criticise an entire gender for falling for vanity advertising then look no further than the mirror. Narcissus again?

Your attempt to get the last word by way of a straw-man fallacy means you fail at smart-ass 101.

Aoibheann

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 7:29pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
what ever floats your boat at the end of the day............

ysabella

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 8:53am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
I have to give this forum credit. There is usually a petty cat fight when the Mac/PC thing comes up, but this time, it's about deodorant. That's refreshingly original.

I have PCs, although I have no real love for them. The desktop was so my husband can play computer games, and the laptop was issued to me for work. I have one Linux box (debian) although I haven't been playing with it lately. I might get some kind of Apple thing for a few reasons - (a)I might as well complete the set, (b)the whole OSX thing since I've worked in Unix for ten years now and (c)my brother works at Apple, so I get a discount.

Meanwhile, I have two iPod Shuffles. One of the pack-of-gum ones and one of the tiny clippy ones. I bought the first one for jogging, but couldn't resist the tinier clippy one when it came out, so now the tiny one is loaded up with Podrunner podcasts and the larger one has various other tunes.

ysabella

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:03am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Oh, yet another potential reason. I'm not sure I ever want to deal with Vista, unless it's on a work-issued machine and I have to. The more I read about it, the more horrified I am.

meekychuppet

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:09am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Oh, yet another potential reason. I'm not sure I ever want to deal with Vista, unless it's on a work-issued machine and I have to. The more I read about it, the more horrified I am.

With Windows releases it's simple. Do not adopt until service pack 2. Early adopters get the bugs and glitches.

ClareBear

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:16am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Debian's good, I use it at work.

ysabella

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:39am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Hey, chuppet. Regarding Vista, another one of my brothers (I have three, all programmers) who is a Windows programmer wrote a blog post about its built-in DRM support that makes me want to run away screaming. Vista would have to have some very sexy features indeed to overcome that shock and horror.
The third brother worked at Microsoft for six years in the 90s. I can't remember what all he worked on, but definitely Word 96. In any case, he was very pro-Microsoft for years, but has done a 180 and writes articles for Linux Journal now. His favorite is ubuntu.

Hey, Atari. At work I mostly use Solaris, and sometimes HPUX. Of course, the next big question is...vi or emacs?

ClareBear

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:47am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Of course, the next big question is...vi or emacs?

Beg pardon?

ysabella

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:50am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Classic text editor war. Personally, I use vi.

amlee

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:50pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Hmm I'm not sure how to vote. I have a powerbook which I'm using right now. I just soldered a new power cable back on and the hard drive's dying but it is err 3 or 4 years old and I've beaten the crap out of it. Then there's the PC over there which I use when I actually feel like getting up and sitting in one spot (and in an uncomfortable chair). Or if there's something I need to do on a Windows machine I'll use that. Hmm. Oh, I like to mess around with linux too. There's no specific distro that I favor, since I usually mess things up pretty bad no matter what I use, and that's the reason I now keep everything important on a completely different hard drive, heh. My mac is the most convenient. And it's pretty simple to mess around inside of it. Takes my beatings pretty well too. I'd love to get my hands on a new one but I keep spending my 'laptop fund' (my spare change), so I'll be 92 before that happens.

Gravesy

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 9:55pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
I've got a PC running XP Media Centre but I run Redhat in VMWare.

I've got an iPod. Does that count?

filliamhmuffin

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 11:13pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk

No, you think that males who use a certain deodorant which you happen not to like to be dumb. Narcissus much? I got news for ya - males are not perennially insecure like females. We don't choose deodorant because women like it.

If you're going to criticise an entire gender for falling for vanity advertising then look no further than the mirror. Narcissus again?

Your attempt to get the last word by way of a straw-man fallacy means you fail at smart-ass 101.

No, seriously, I don't give a flying toss about deodorant or computer specs. What I'm not into is your broad generalizing about which sex is more likely to chose something based on color or have insecurities about body odor. I'm not trying to one-up you or pick a fight, I'm just saying that broad generalizations don't make truth. The deodorant remark was a joke to illustrate how stupid such generalizations are. I don't actually think men are more vulnerable to advertising than women are.

And I'm not a smart ass, just a pissy human being and a girl who's sick of being told how insecure or vain I am, just because I have a friggin' twat. I'm NOT insecure and I'm not vain. I hardly ever even remember to brush my hair, for chrissakes, and I don't like men very much so it doesn't even matter to me whether they're trying to impress women or not. I'm just sick to death of being judged on the sole factor of my sex--something I can't (or rather won't, this being the 21st c.) change. Aren't you?

And er, to remain on topic, is there any real difference btw the white macbook and the black macbook besides memory? Or rather, at least, anything that a person who uses the thing mainly for internet, garageband, and photoshop ought to know about?